Sleeping pads for side sleepers

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Klymit Static V Luxe Insulated SL. Great R value, wider than standard but not quite as wide as the non-SL model but lighter and thicker than the non-SL. Highly recommend this pad! Now also avaialble through CostCo for $100 and you get their no hassle purchase/return to go along with the lifetime warranty from Klymit.

Marble

WKR
Sea to summit ether light insulated. 4 inches thick. I am a side sleeper, #250 and I haven’t been able to bottom it out.
Makes me happy! I bought one last October and besides filling it up one time and checking it, haven't used it in the field. Seems really comfy.

Yes, thank you all. Going to order a Nemo Tensor Alpine in large and see how it goes.

So I am not bashing this product just saying the facts. This pad did not hold up to my use.

To be fare it was a bad spot in a burn with high wind. The pad was in a lite weight bivy and that on tyvek. It was hard use I guess but it did not hold up and got a pin hole on the bottom by my feet.

I really like this pad and sorry it will not hold up to my use. My Klymit held up all last year but was looking for something more comfortable. I will be going back to it.

Just letting you guys know that end up in bad spots like me.

AkRyan

WKR
What I have found is any pad that had a fancy design gives me shoulder pain. Vertical or horizontal air chambers are the best way to go imo.

shudspeth

FNG
Anyone have advice for pad options for side sleepers. Trying to remove extra pressure from my hips.
I’ve used the sea to summit comfort light for the last 3 years and had similar issues. I picked up the Sea to Summit Ether light XT this year and my hips and shoulders don’t touch anymore which has really helped me sleep through the night. The Aeros pillow really helped me as well vs using my puffy. Hope you find something that works!

tboed

FNG
Big Agnes axl gives me some shoulder pain when side sleeping. And it’s pretty noisy. Looking into thermarest neo air or the comfort plus. Is the extra weight of comfort plus worth it?

Seeknelk

WKR
I have a few nights on the sea to summit ether xt extreme wide . 4 inches thick. Comfy...take the time to dial in air pressure. The pillow retainer thingys work very well ,with their pillow I already had also. Your not chasing it off the end of the pad all night, actually made quite a difference in my comfort. Not a long term review yet.
I did have it in the 20s one night with my 10degree quilt. Stayed toasty.

Big Agnes Q-Core SLX has been very comfortable. I'm also a side sleeper. 3.5" in the middle and 4" perimeter to keep you centered. Definitely recommend a pump sack to get it inflated.

As a side sleeper, I feel unstable on any of the newer air pads like the NeoAirs and Klymits. There is a weight penalty, but my Thermarest Prolite Plus has always been comfortable and at 1.5 in thick has kept my bony hips off the ground.

So I am not bashing this product just saying the facts. This pad did not hold up to my use.

To be fare it was a bad spot in a burn with high wind. The pad was in a lite weight bivy and that on tyvek. It was hard use I guess but it did not hold up and got a pin hole on the bottom by my feet.

I really like this pad and sorry it will not hold up to my use. My Klymit held up all last year but was looking for something more comfortable. I will be going back to it.

Just letting you guys know that end up in bad spots like me.

I had two (original and warranty replacement). Both would not hold air after 1 night of camping. Made for a couple of rough winter camping trips where I spent the night reinflating every hour or so. Not as comfortable as the Exped. Could have been a bad batch, but once I tried the Exped, lost interest.

Anyone using or have used the Exped Downmat? Seems like it would be a good option to run with a quilt

BrianN

FNG
Anyone using or have used the Exped Downmat? Seems like it would be a good option to run with a quilt
I use one with a quilt and like it. You'll probably hear a bunch of good things on here about the synmat but not much talk on the downmat for some reason and I'm not sure why. I've got the downmat UL winter LW. Compared to the synmat in the same size it's $50 more, .6oz heavier but the r-value is 7 vs 5.2 for the symat which was worth it for me for what I wanted it for.

I use one with a quilt and like it. You'll probably hear a bunch of good things on here about the synmat but not much talk on the downmat for some reason and I'm not sure why. I've got the downmat UL winter LW. Compared to the synmat in the same size it's $50 more, .6oz heavier but the r-value is 7 vs 5.2 for the symat which was worth it for me for what I wanted it for.
Do you use that pad exclusively or only for colder weather?

BrianN

FNG
Do you use that pad exclusively or only for colder weather?
I use it on warmer trips also. With a quilt, it's easy to vent so overheating isn't really a problem. I haven't noticed it being TOO warm. I always go warmer on pads. Better to be a bit warm than cold. It's not the lightest pad out there but I don't care. I'm a big boy and I can't bottom it out. No dead arm, sore shoulder or aching hip. If I were going serious miles AND it was going to be very warm I would get something just as wide and thick with a lower r-value to cut some weight maybe.

Last edited:
I use it on warmer trips also. With a quilt, it's easy to vent so overheating isn't really a problem. I haven't noticed it being TOO warm. I always go warmer on pads. Better to be a bit warm than cold. It's not the lightest pad out there but I don't care. I'm a big boy and I can't bottom it out. No dead arm, sore shoulder or aching hip. If I were going serious miles AND it was going to be very warm I would get something just as wide and thick with a lower r-value to cut some weight maybe.
Thanks, been eyeballing the UL Winter for a while now, also considering the HL in MW as im only 5’9” and it packs down smaller than the UL

BrianN

FNG
Thanks, been eyeballing the UL Winter for a while now, also considering the HL in MW as im only 5’9” and it packs down smaller than the UL
Yeah, that could work for you too if you don't mind the tapered shape. I'm a restless side sleeper so the full rectangle is hard to beat. I got sick of waking up with my legs off the pad.

Weight is the only reason I carry a lower r-value pad on some trips. In case you may wonder, high r-value doesn't translate to a hot pad, as they have very little thermal mass. Definitely a wide rectangle for me, even though I am 5'8".