Sleeping Pads - Weight vs Comfort

I've been tossing around the idea of going to a 3/4 length pad for early season hunts. Anyone ever gone this route? Pros/Cons?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the nemo tensor insulted 25L, but was thinking about picking up the un-insulated as well. Then I saw the 20S and thought the 3/4 pad route may be the way to go for early season. I use a quilt, so the only thing that would be between my feet and the ground is the bivy. I would probably sleep with my boots on, or even just a pair of extra socks.

The 20S weighs in at 9.5oz, un-insulated 25L at 19oz, and the insulated 25L at 21oz.

Just wanted to get some input from others that have tried this.

tttoadman

WKR
The 3/4 is a back breaker for a back sleeper. They are great if you curl up on your side. That is just the comfort issue. The cold on your feet could be another issue. I found it to be a poor choice to cut weight for me.

Beendare

WKR
No insulation in a pad is a bad idea....

.....and with your feet resting on the ground hanging over a 3/4 pad....with a down bag you will get cold...maybe not with a syn bag...it just depends on how cold/bag rating.

OP
ndbwhunter
Thanks for the replies. I decided to go with one full length pad. The weight savings aren't worth sacrificing comfort and warmth.

I used a 3/4 length self inflator and a full length closed cell pad underneath. Very comfy and the best of both worlds. You could lighten up by leaving one or the other behind.

Jimss

WKR
You might give Neo-air a look. They weigh around 16 oz for full length. I've used it in Alaska, Colo, and Wyo....and never ben cold. It rolls up super tight and hardly takes up any room in my pack. I have a regular thermarest and prefer my neo air for comfort....sleep like a baby!

OP
ndbwhunter
You might give Neo-air a look. They weigh around 16 oz for full length. I've used it in Alaska, Colo, and Wyo....and never ben cold. It rolls up super tight and hardly takes up any room in my pack. I have a regular thermarest and prefer my neo air for comfort....sleep like a baby!

I had an xtherm for one season and didn't like it. I haven't tried the xtherm max yet, but I'm guessing it won't change my opinion. It was too loud, and not thick enough for my liking. If I don't like the nemo, I may give the max a try though.

I thought the same thing once. Bought a 3/4 length and froze the entire trip. I was hunting elk in September and was the last time I took that pad out. I will back the weight for the comfort.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Klymit Lite Static V (4.4 R value) and used it on 2 separate elk hunts in SW Colorado last Sept.... 1st week and last week of Archery Elk. Weighs about 19oz... easy to inflate. I made several gear mistakes on the late September hunt at 9500 (pic below). That sleeping pad saved my ass and is the only reason I was able to confidently tough it out through some unexpected weather, including copious puddles of water in my tent.

I stayed and called in my first bull. Worth every penny.

UL3ejkU.jpg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought a Klymit Lite Static V (4.4 R value) and used it on 2 separate elk hunts in SW Colorado last Sept.... 1st week and last week of Archery Elk. Weighs about 19oz... easy to inflate. I made several gear mistakes on the late September hunt at 9500 (pic below). That sleeping pad saved my ass and is the only reason I was able to confidently tough it out through some unexpected weather, including copious puddles of water in my tent.

I stayed and called in my first bull. Worth every penny.

UL3ejkU.jpg
Good to know as I have the same pad but haven't had it in snow yet.

I also have the klymit jr or 3/4 pad as my summer pad. It's a bit longer than most 3/4 but it's r value is only 1. I've come to the conclusion that ultralight small pads really are for the summer backpacking crowd or a summer overnight scout trip. Only reasons I bought both is they were on sale and needed one for my kid. Even then I'll use the small pad so that she is more comfortable.

Early season camp for me is about 8k and by the 2nd week of September it's getting into the 20's some nights. Now if I was going pronghorn in the Colorado Western slope desert then I'd bring my small pad as daily temps would be 45-80.

I guess for the $40 I paid its worth the option for certain things but not if it's to be my only pad.

Last edited:

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
The only problem with it seems to be a somewhat common issue as there is a "fix it" vid on YouTube which shows you how to reseal the valve. I've used it on a dozen trips or so and just recently it started losing a noticeable amount of air when I get up in the morning... Not really enough to be uncomfortable at that point, but noticeable. Ive Just been blowing it back up before I turn in and it's good to go for another nite. The fix it seems super easy... Just haven't gotten around to it.

elkguide

WKR
For the little difference in weight a full size pad is the only option.
I need to be at my best in the morning and I need my sleep.

I've been using a small X-Lite now for the last couple years up to and through my annual Oct. Kodiak island goat hunts. Typically it doesn't get very cold that time of year with temps maybe getting down into the low to mid 20's, at the coldest, and occasionally some snow. I use a 10 degree down quilt/floorless shelter and if I'm pitching on top of snow (almost never), I'll just use stuff from my pack (or even my pack), to put under my legs/feet for insulation. In my constant attempt to shed wt., and weighing only 8 oz., I haven't found a combined lighter, more comfortable, or better insulated pad.
6a06c23457a3c0c77ed27216d2b8a3f5.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Been using a Neo Air a 3/4 length pad since 2010 on all weight senitive backpack hunts. If only going in a few miles I will bring a full length but longer packs in I go with a 3/4 to shave some weight. Just put my empty pack at the bottom of the pad and seems to work pretty darn well.

Last edited:

Pro953

WKR
The only problem with it seems to be a somewhat common issue as there is a "fix it" vid on YouTube which shows you how to reseal the valve. I've used it on a dozen trips or so and just recently it started losing a noticeable amount of air when I get up in the morning... Not really enough to be uncomfortable at that point, but noticeable. Ive Just been blowing it back up before I turn in and it's good to go for another nite. The fix it seems super easy... Just haven't gotten around to it.

Had the same issue with my Klymit pads. When they work they are good and very light, albeit a bit noisy when you move on them. That said sleep is way to important to risk on a pad that works most of the time. Never had issues with both the Big A and Therma Rest full length pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thermarest XTherm is money! I can't justify being sore from sleeping or poor sleep from a lesser pad. I spend months of prep to be on the mountain. I need to be at my best.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I picked up a Klymit static V2 at an outdoor show this spring. Weighs about a pound. Interested to see how it does this year.

Daniel_M

WKR
Seems sleep is one area I'll always justify a little extra weight, granted most of my back country excursions involve using an ATV to get in. I'm a cold sleeper so I like a pad rated 5 or higher in the R value area. That said I've been happy with the BA Insulator Q-core, Xtherm and will be using an X-Lite later in the year before deciding if I'll take it on a sheep hunt. I used an Exped for several years but gave them up after baffle seams de-laminated.