Sleeping pads

What is the best pad for October or November backpacking?

Last edited:

JRMiller

WKR
Cant say I used a ton of sleeping pads ( about 7-8) but the Klymit insulated seems to check all the boxes for me each time.
the Big Agnes Insulated would be my second, only because its a tad heavy at 26oz

mbwa

FNG
The best sleeping pad is the one that you sleep best on while still being relatively lightweight and (of course) warm. I've used several in my search to find something that I like better than my Thermarest Prolite Plus. Haven't found anything yet that works better for me. It's not too heavy and it's warm, and I find self-inflating pads more comfortable than the NeoAir types. The point being that newer, lighter, and more compact are not necessarily better for any given person. It helps to try them out.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the BA Q Core Deluxe wide long. It's by no means lightweight, but I sleep like a baby on it. Sleep is something a lot of people over look when backpack hunting. You can have all the latest and greatest gear, but if you are sleeping like crap, you're not going to want to stay out in the mountains.

Rokwiia

WKR
I prefer ExPed. October and November can present a wide range of temperature ranges which can be a challenge. I'd prefer to be too warm than too cold so that factors into my choice of a pad.

I find the SynMat XP is a good all-around pad. When it gets really cold, I switch to the DownMat XP. My experience is having a pad more warm than cool helps to keep my back from tightening up during the night and feels better when I awaken.

When choosing an R-value, remember that you need an R-value of 5.0 to remain thermoneutral (don't lose body temperature) at 32F while sleeping.

Last edited:
For you Klymit Insulated guys, are you using them with a quilt or bag? I almost bought one until I realized those baffles have no insulation, and the design relies on insulation from a sleeping bag to fill those voids.

Pads like the X Therm or Nemo Tensor Field have a flat surface and so the whole thing is insulated.

X-Therm all day. I've used it for quite some time now. I had the original and it developed a slow leak over the years (guessing the old valve) that I could never find. They sent me a new one within a week with the updated valve no questions asked.

Since they've also finally standardized R-Value testing the pad's R-Value went way up, 6.9 now which is amazing. I believe it used to be in the 4's as claimed.

The only big complaint people get is the crinkling at night and some can't stand it. Price for an uber lightweight pad I guess.

mlgc20

WKR
Either an Xtherm Max or an Exped Downmat 7. I will use my BA Q-Core SLX in September.

sneaky

"DADDY"
X-Therm all day. I've used it for quite some time now. I had the original and it developed a slow leak over the years (guessing the old valve) that I could never find. They sent me a new one within a week with the updated valve no questions asked.

Since they've also finally standardized R-Value testing the pad's R-Value went way up, 6.9 now which is amazing. I believe it used to be in the 4's as claimed.

The only big complaint people get is the crinkling at night and some can't stand it. Price for an uber lightweight pad I guess.
Xtherm went from 5.7 to 6.9. The Xlite is the one in the 4s. Even it went up in R value. It went from 3.2 to 4.2.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
Therm-a-Rest Neo Air XTherm for weight or Big Agnes Q-Core for comfort and if you're on a budget.