Sleeping Pads

cmeier117

WKR
I have a ridge rest SoLite short. My dad has a Nemo Astro insulated sleeping pad. His is very comfortable and warm.

BA insulated air core over a thermarest z lite. Better night sleep than in your own bed!!

_DSC2578.jpg

G Posik

WKR
Has any one tried the Luxury Lite UL cot? The weight looks a bit heavy at 2 lbs but just see ing anyonne has tried one.

Glenn

luke moffat

Super Moderator
G Posik,

My buddy has one and used it for 12 nights on Kodiak last year. I was a bit jealous, but you are right they are hefty for a backpack hunt and they are spendy as well. It depends on the hunt whether or not they are worth it. Being as he was 20+ years older than me I am sure it was worth it for him and in 20 years it'll likely be worth it for me. :D Cool little cots for minimal weight penalty.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Exped DM7 myself.....yes I know it's a bit heavier.
Seems a lil more durable in the outside fabric too.

I'm still sleeping inside a tent (yes I know all you rock stars are using the "shelters") and my pad goes inside a sleeve on my BA Mystic. Never had an issue with leaks.

Attachments

• IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 26

stephen b

WKR
I to have had some problems with the BAIAC pad and leaks. And I just got a brand new (replacement) one back from BA on warranty issue- since I for the life of me could not find the leak no matter how hard I tried. They replaced with a new brown/ red ones; while my old one was the black ones. Hopefully the new one will be better.

Even though my pads issue was solved with good CS from BA- it still leaves you less than confident when your previous pad leaked. I would get about 4-5 hours out of it before it leaked. I would end up carrying an extra 3/4 Ridgerest with me because of this- but then you are adding up to 8-9 oz. on top of the 20x72 BAIAC wt; definitely not light weight.

I either have gone strictly lt. wt with just a CC Ridgerest, but I missed the comfort of a BA pad.

So... this past fall this is what I used- and I was very happy with it. No leaks so far (yeah) , and it is comfy, and pretty warm I thought (although I may not be a good judge since I am not a real cold sleeper). Plus it came in on my scale at a legit 12- 12.5 oz- which is less than specs. I see that people over on the backpacking light forums reported the same things with theirs. Mine was the same way- nice when that happens from a manufacturer.

(Peak Elite AC- from Pacific Outdoor):

http://pacoutdoor.com/sleeping-pads/view/peak-elite-ac

G Posik

WKR
G Posik,

My buddy has one and used it for 12 nights on Kodiak last year. I was a bit jealous, but you are right they are hefty for a backpack hunt and they are spendy as well. It depends on the hunt whether or not they are worth it. Being as he was 20+ years older than me I am sure it was worth it for him and in 20 years it'll likely be worth it for me. :D Cool little cots for minimal weight penalty.

Still giving some thought on getting one and trying it. I know the price tag is a little steep. If I sleep just a little better on a hunt then....

G Posik

WKR

b runner

FNG
It looked like a pretty good concept. I'm going to try aluminum as well just because he said he is only like 130lbs or something like that. Probably will try some thicker carbon rods too.

JSonn

FNG
Exped makes sleeping pad covers to help protect the air pad- never tried one but it could work instead of hauling a foam pad on the outside of your pack.

G Posik

WKR
It looked like a pretty good concept. I'm going to try aluminum as well just because he said he is only like 130lbs or something like that. Probably will try some thicker carbon rods too.
I am looking for some heavier rods as well with my 215lbs vs. his 130lbs might need a little more support. I will let you know what I come up with on the rods. Might have to start a new thread once I get things started,

Glenn

I could never find the costs of the pads on the Exped site. Have to go back in there as Jsonn said they have pads to protect the air pads and look at those. "If you do not sleep good, you are not going to hunt good" IMHO