Sleeping Pads

I'm usually a minimalist when it comes to lightweight backpack equipment but after trying out a Big Agness 2.5 inch (Insulated Air Core, 20" X 78", 27oz.) sleeping pad a couple years ago, I decided the extra weight was worth it for a good night sleep. However, I have not had good luck with keeping them free of leaks...not good for sleeping. Anyone out there know of any good 2.5 inch thick sleeping pads that hold air better but are still in the range of 27oz.?

Nate,

I just changed to an air core system this year...the Synmat Exped UL7 weighing in at 16 oz. I purchase that one more for the R value on it at 3.1. I kept getting cold even in late August and I was attributing that to the ThermaRest pad I had been using. I haven't had any issues with leaks YET (fingers crossed).

OP
N
Evan,

Thanks for the info, I just checked that pad out and it looks killer. If that pad can hold air for a couple seasons it looks to be pretty hard to beat. Gonna have to think about getting one of them to try out. Just one more thing to add to my wish list...

GrayGhost

FNG
Nate, I have been using the Therma-rest Neoair Large 2.5" @ 1.3 lbs the last two years. The best I have found. I am 5'10" and I got the large and it gives you the extra room via length and width in you roll some at night like I do. I had the Exped as well and it just kept loosing air as temps dropped at night. In my opinion for the weight and comfort this is my pick.

dotman

WKR
Anyone using the shorter length pads? Mainly upper body comfort but less weight.

vcb

WKR
Dotman, I have in the past. Trying to save weight. Really was not worth it though....Cold at night. I have a ba insulated air core that I have not used because of weight but I think this year its worth it for the warmth and good night sleep!

dotman

WKR
Dotman, I have in the past. Trying to save weight. Really was not worth it though....Cold at night. I have a ba insulated air core that I have not used because of weight but I think this year its worth it for the warmth and good night sleep!

Did you use a foam pad like a zlite with it, seems like if you use a pad the foam is also a requirement so you don't pop it.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use the UL7 too, but I keep it in a Bivy at all time....or over my foam pad. That thing will get holes easy if you're not careful.

Ridgetop

FNG
I am currently using the BA insulated air core as well. I have logged around 80 nights on it in the last 3 years and no leaks yet (knocking on the desk top). My only comlaint with it besides the weight is that its too narrow and my elbows fall off the sides when lying on my back. This year might see an upgrade to a large size Neo air Xlite or Xtherm.

ceetoo

FNG
Another vote for the Exped UL7. Ran with it last year and slept comfortably every night. Never was out in any really cold weather however - lowest it ever got was mid/high 20's. I've so far not had any issues with leaks, but keep the patch kit handy just in case..

I used an Exped for a long time, then put a nasty hole in it, tried to repair it and just woke up on hard ground about 4 times before I learned my lesson. Then I went to a Neo-air trying to cut weight, just slept cold all the for the 3-4 trips I used it.. Finally went back to the Exped, a good nights sleep is a must and its one of the few things I figure is worth the extra weight.

JG358

WKR
After last season, I'm sold on the Exped UL7. I was a bit nervous about poking a whole in it but its proven to be tougher than it looks.