Sleeping quilt of sleeping bag?

cmeier117

WKR
Sleeping quilt or sleeping bag?

Have any of you used a sleeping quilt during archery season? I have one on order from Zpacks that should get here next week. It is a 20 degree rated 900 fill down quilt with a zipper. It basically is like a sleeping bag except their is no hood and the zipper is on the bottom of the bag. I am planning on using a down beanie or bacalava or however you say it. I have heard good things from the guy on backpacking light forums. It weight under 20 ounces and I got a long wide version. Anyway have any of switched from a bag to a quilt? Are you still using it or did you switch back to a normal sleeping bag?

The weight savings is exciting to me and he seems to use high quality materials.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For summer and early fall solo trips I use one. Its a GoLite Ultra 20 (they don't sell this model anymore) and its 20 oz. I've used it down below freezing with no issues. Great way to cut weight if you can get used to the idea.

Their current model is 23 oz for a regular and a great deal IMO if you are looking for a UL bag.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I should have mine in a week or two and I will post pictures. Luke actually has some field time so he is one to ask. My dad has one from Enlightened Equipment coming this week that is zero degree rated so I can post pictures of that as well.

Luke- Do you just wear a beanie or can you snuggle up in it enough to keep your head warm?

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
Cmeier,

Which quilt did your dad order? I'm just about to order an overstuffed 20 degree Epiphany quilt from Enlightened Equipment with the .51oz Cuben fiber shell. I'm figuring this will work for me from 40 - 0 degrees. For cold weather I'm thinking about getting a 2 oz down hood from Jacks 'R' Better http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hood.htm

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Dave-

He got the revelation X quilt. You do know that Cuben fiber material does not breath at all right?

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
If you are a side sleeper, Joe from Z packs can put the zipper on the side of the bag and add a draft tube to the bag. I think it adds about an ounce and it turns it into a traditional style sleeping bag. (minus hood of course)

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
Cmeier,

Yes. I did some research on vapor barriers and have exchanged some emails with Tim Marshall (the owner I think). He mentioned that VB and quilts combine well because quilts can easily vent built up moist air before it gets too hot and you sweat.

I like that the quilt is water proof so there is no issue in getting the down wet either from outside sources or from my own sweat. Given that the cuben fiber does not breath the Epiphany quilt has an inflation tube to let air into the bag. This allows the temperature rating of the quilt to be adjusted by how much air is let in (i.e. how much the down is allowed to loft). Here is a review from BackpackingLight where the reviewer mentions the ability to adjust the temperature range of the Epiphany quilt. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...&cat=Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags&cid=38

In talking to Tim he said the current overstuffed 20 has a little more loft than the 0 degree quilt in the review. He also mentioned that he once used 900fill down but went to 850 because it is less affected by humidity.

Tim suggested that I wear insulation inside the quilt (which I would do any way). He suggested that I could wear VB clothing or waterproof-breathable clothing to keep from getting too damp in situations where I can't vent the quilt (e.g outside temps are close to the temperature rating of the quilt). I'm figuring I can wear my rain gear over my light merino wool if it gets too cold to vent the quilt. The rain gear will let my body's water vapor pass but block the water from getting back in once it condenses.

Another approach in cold weather is to use a VB sleeping bag liner such as the HotSac VBL from Western Mountaineering. http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Accessories&ContentId=44

The overstuffed 20 in my size is 22.25 ounces. I'm hoping this quilt can replace my current 0 degree and 15 degree bags.

After I've tried the quilt in real life situations I will write up a review.