Sleeping systems

I'm debating on whether or not to buy a quilt for early season hunts to save a couple ounces.does anybody have experience with quilts or recommendations on what to buy?

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, but there's a learning curve. Some love em, some hate em. What's your budget? Lots of good vendors out there now....Katabatic Gear, El Coyote, UGQ, etc. Also, pay as much attention to your pad as you do your quilt. That's what will be insulating you from the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I started using a quilt for early season 3 yrs ago. Honestly not super happy but I would not go back to a bag. Reasons for that is shaving ounces and less bulk in pack.

Disclosure. I pack up and carry camp all day every day. If I just packed in camp and left it there I might change back to a bag.

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 20° zippered footbox quilt from hammock gear. I use it with an insulated klymit pad. Honestly I haven’t used it enough to really speak to the quilt topic but so far it seems doable for early season.

JRMiller

WKR
I have used both interchangeably for many years.
If i know i might freeze my nutts off i bring my bag.
If there is a chance it maybe warmer on and off i bring the quilt as they are easier to shed heat if needed.
I have been using a hybrid a lot lately though as its seems like the best of both worlds. Use like a quilt but if it gets cold zip it all up like a bag.
UGQ, Enlightened Equipment, and Zpacks are all good quilts and they offer hybrids too.
I hear a lot of good things about Katabatic but no personnel experience.

I started using a quilt for early season 3 yrs ago. Honestly not super happy but I would not go back to a bag. Reasons for that is shaving ounces and less bulk in pack.
I’m kind of in the same boat. I’ve just never been able to cut the drafts or feel like I can let my body go lose without an elbow or something falling out into the cold.

I’m actually starting to dabble in hammocks since they keep your arms all together and the under quilt kind of wraps around your body. Just haven’t had a night cold enough to really test it.

I’m kind of in the same boat. I’ve just never been able to cut the drafts or feel like I can let my body go lose without an elbow or something falling out into the cold.

I’m actually starting to dabble in hammocks since they keep your arms all together and the under quilt kind of wraps around your body. Just haven’t had a night cold enough to really test it.
I use a lite weight bud bivy. I think it helps with drafts and keeping things together.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used quilts for the last 15 years and I still use quilts in the summer, BUT once Fall rolls around I go back to a bag, ditto on Winter and early Spring. A little draft here and there in the summer is a mere annoyance, when it gets cold it's more than annoyance.

I've got a dead of winter bag, but for shoulder season I've gone to a Feathered Friends Flicker- part quilt, part bag. It has a full zip so you can zip it up like a bag, or unzip it and drape it over you in warmer weather. I really like them.

https://featheredfriends.com/collections/flicker-series

OP
Jay_hunt_beachy
Yes, but there's a learning curve. Some love em, some hate em. What's your budget? Lots of good vendors out there now....Katabatic Gear, El Coyote, UGQ, etc. Also, pay as much attention to your pad as you do your quilt. That's what will be insulating you from the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help.i am willing to spend more for a good quilt and pad that keeps me warm.

I just bought a Kelty Cosmic 20 degree bag. Haven't used it yet but like how it packs down. 8x13 inch packed and less than 3lbs. Only $130

kpbrown31

FNG
I just bought a Kelty Cosmic 20 degree bag. Haven't used it yet but like how it packs down. 8x13 inch packed and less than 3lbs. Only $130
Did you consider their new Cosmic Ultra Down 20 degree bag? It’s an 800 fill dridown that’s supposedly a step up from the original Cosmic 20. I’m going to buy one of them, but unsure if this Ultra Cosmic is worth the extra money. Essentially the same temp ratings, but has a couple small changes in addition to a slight weight reduction and packs down a little tighter.

I have two quilts that I will use, both are 30°. One is down and one is synthetic. In the winter I will double them up. No issues down to the single digits. I use a foam mat and a cot as well.

I have one of those, heck of a bag for the money, I use it like a quilt when it is too warm out, works good for me 75% of the time. I wanted something a bit warmer and with a little more room so I got a wm badger that I’ll do the same with. I like the option of being able to zip it up if it gets colder than expected which has happens and sucks. I typically just use bags like quilts half the time. I almost pulled the trigger on a quilt but the weight savings wasn’t dramatic enough to justify the expense of something else when a good bag would cover all of my uses in one item.

Did you consider their new Cosmic Ultra Down 20 degree bag? It’s an 800 fill dridown that’s supposedly a step up from the original Cosmic 20. I’m going to buy one of them, but unsure if this Ultra Cosmic is worth the extra money. Essentially the same temp ratings, but has a couple small changes in addition to a slight weight reduction and packs down a little tighter.
I was just commenting on what you were commenting on and thought that’s what they were talking about. Mine is the Dri down bag. Good bag, packs small and is plenty light. I was on a tight budget when I bought it and couldn’t find a better value. I am 6’4 225 and in the long it fits good though I prefer a little more width. I recently got a wm badger and decided on keeping the Kelty too for when I don’t need the extra warmth since I didn’t spend much on it and like I just like it. I’d spend the little extra on the down version myself as it is smaller and lighter for not too much more money. They are on sale of and on all over at least when I got mine.

kpbrown31

FNG
I was just commenting on what you were commenting on and thought that’s what they were talking about. Mine is the Dri down bag. Good bag, packs small and is plenty light. I was on a tight budget when I bought it and couldn’t find a better value. I am 6’4 225 and in the long it fits good though I prefer a little more width. I recently got a wm badger and decided on keeping the Kelty too for when I don’t need the extra warmth since I didn’t spend much on it and like I just like it. I’d spend the little extra on the down version myself as it is smaller and lighter for not too much more money. They are on sale of and on all over at least when I got mine.
Oh nice, yeah it seems the Kelty bags are a good budget option. I’m definitely going with a down bag, but I am just pondering the Cosmic Dridown 20 bag (600 dridown fill) vs their new for 2021, Cosmic Ultra 20 bag (800 dridown fill). I’m sure I wouldn’t notice much of a difference either way.

Oh nice, yeah it seems the Kelty bags are a good budget option. I’m definitely going with a down bag, but I am just pondering the Cosmic Dridown 20 bag (600 dridown fill) vs their new for 2021, Cosmic Ultra 20 bag (800 dridown fill). I’m sure I wouldn’t notice much of a difference either way
Oh gotcha I thought you were comparing their synthetic to down bags. I have the 600 and it’s been great, 800 would be better but if you can get the 600 for a steal I wouldn’t hesitate.