Slick Tricks vs VPA

TEmbry

WKR
Looking for anyones experience with either head, especially from those who have experience with both. I am switching over to fixed blades this fall for legal and personal reasons. I shoot 340 FMJ arrows and with a 125 grain BH my finished weight is right at 500 grains from a 29" 70# HeliM.

I have two packs of Slick Trick Magnums 125 grain. Will give these a try first to see how they fly, but the VPA vented 3 blade 125 grain heads sure look intriguing.

Slick Tricks seem to have a longer, more proven track record. Replacing blades vs sharpening them is appealing to me (main reason I love my Havalon so much).

VPAs seem to be built like a tank though. Any reason one would go vented vs non vented? Are they easy to keep on an edge on for a sharpening numbskull like myself?

Tilzbow

WKR
I shoot both myself and I don't think you can go wrong with either. It comes down to preference and whether or not you want to sharpen the heads. The new 125 grain vented VPA that's based on the 150 grain profile is a sweet head and will likely be my broadhead of choice for several years. Getting the VPA heads super sharp is fairly easy with the right tools and it's nice to screw one on, shoot it several times to confirm it shoots perfect then sharpen it up and be hunt ready with a arrow you're 100% confident in. If you decide to go the VPA route just do a search on "Snuffer Sharpening Made E-Z" and you'll find all the info you need to get the VPA heads sharp.

I have killed animals with both of them. It's going to end up being completely what you like best. They are both tough as nails and fly great.

It takes a little work to get the VPAs sharp enough to shave hairs. But you can do it.

The only weird thing I have noticed with slick tricks is they don't leave real good blood trails sometimes. Me and a buddy have a theory that the blade angle is so steep that it actually pops/deflates the lungs before cutting them. However a lot of animals die within sight so no blood trail needed. Probably no where close to right but it's our theory. He has killed a lot of animals with tricks.

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
For those who have shot both, do you notice any difference in flight with these or do the both hold the same point of impact?

SDHNTR

WKR
IMO, you have picked the two best in class. I have extensive experience with both. Killed at least 2dozen critters with each. The VPA is stronger. That's not to say that the ST isn't strong, it surely is, but you can't beat the strength of a solid one piece design, especially one made of solid MACHINED steel like the VPA. It's the only head built that way. Out of a tuned bow and with decent form, flight will be a toss up, they are both supremely accurate. Put in the same spot, your results will be the same with either, dead critter. I think what it ultimately comes down to is whether you want to replace blades or if you'd rather resharpen. Resharpening is more cost effective in the long run. VPAs will virtually last forever if you don't lose them. Pretty hard to ruin one. VPA also has a satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like em, send em back. It's that simple. I guess if I had to pick a terminal difference, I have seen less animal reaction with VPAs as they are cut on contact instead of a punch cut head, but this is splitting hairs. You really can't go wrong with those choices.

For the record, I used to shoot Slicks and now I shoot VPAs. I like Resharpening them, it's super easy. And I like being able to practice with the EXACT same head and arrow combo before hunting. Just touch up and back in the quiver to hunt.

The vented VPA may hiss a bit (mostly the 125, not so much the 100, due to the harmonics of the blade thickness cutting thru air) depending on set up, but the Slicks can hiss too. The vented ones are more forgiving of form and tune. The non vented heads are dead silent and shoot just fine if your tune and form is good. I shoot both interchangeably.

If you decide on VPA, buy from www.rayzor-VPA.com. If you are a Bowsite or AT member you can get free shipping deals.

Last edited:

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've tried a lot if broadheads over the years and the Slick Tricks are what I currently shoot. For longer range shooting I prefer the Slick Trick standard. I've taken two big bulls a black bear, muley buck, and an antelope with them. So far their performance and durability have been flawless. The ferrule is the same as the magnum but the blades are smaller for the "standard". No blood trail over 100 yards yet.

weaver

WKR
I really like slick tricks. Shot them for the last 3 years and havent found a reason to change. Fly great,durable and sharp. All i need in a broadhead.

JJHACK

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Wa. State and in Elisrass South Africa
When my bow hunters coming to hunt for plains game ask about broad heads as part of their equipment, I always suggest 125 gr slick trick magnums.

I killed three bears one 275, one 446, the third 508 lbs with the same broad head, just stoning between shots. All three passed through the bears, all three were shot under 25 yards. All three bears travelled less then 100 yards before dropping. I shoot a 63lb swbxt at 28.5".

I've cleanly harvested at Least another 20-30 big African animals plus some really nice wild boar, elk, deer, goats, etc. I've not had a blade break yet. The clients I take for plains game using slick tricks have taken another 100 plus animals with me

Clearly I'm a fan of this broadhead! I don't think there is much better on the market.

trkyslr

WKR
I switched to vpa solid 125's and am glad i did! A month ago i shot a big boar 230# and got a complete pass thru and boar went only 10 yards. I was very impressed as i wasnt expecting to get a complete pass thru. They fly great and resharpen great! Tough tough head!

I have shot the vpa 100's, slick trick standards and vipers. All shoot well, and do what they are supposed to do.
As someone mentioned it probably comes down to if you want to sharpen or replace blades. If you choose sharpen they are easy to do.

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
Sdhntr broke it down for ya. I don't have any experience with slick tricks but have shot the vpa now for 4 years and have killed over 20 animals with flawless performance. I love the idea of shooting multiple animals with same head/arrow.

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
Thanks for the breakdown guys. Already having 6, if I get the ST magnums to fly good for me ill snag 2-3 more packs and run with them for the season. Swapping blades is more attractive to me than sharpening at this point (living out of my truck for 7 weeks hunting this fall so the easier my gear upkeep the better).

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks for the breakdown guys. Already having 6, if I get the ST magnums to fly good for me ill snag 2-3 more packs and run with them for the season. Swapping blades is more attractive to me than sharpening at this point (living out of my truck for 7 weeks hunting this fall so the easier my gear upkeep the better).

I hear ya, but a simple diamond stone or hone takes up a hell of a lot less space than a bunch of spare blades. Cheaper too!

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
Right you are but I'm too OCD to rock two different heads at once. Just for shits and gigs ill pick up a pack of VPAs to compare them before stocking up on one or the other.

I love VPA heads. I shoot the 125 non vented and I am seriously thinking of going to a 150 grain head. They do fly great once you get tuned.
Sharpening is really easy. I use a 12" single cut file, I then run them over a stone and last but not least I run them over a leather strop. I can get them cutting rubber bands with just a file but after a few passes on the strop they can shave hair.
Like said above very very tuff head.
I did shoot my antelope buck at 70 yards with a 125 grain non vented. I also shot my muley buck head on last year. The arrow came out through his rear ham. He was down in 20 yards. The whitetail buck I shot last year didn't go far either.
I like the fact that I don't have to buy blades any more.

When i initially tried VPA heads i threw a fit with their inability to cut hot butter out of the box.........they sat for a long time as my Muzzy's remained in my quiver, but once i sharpened a few, shot them in a target and re sharpened them, i'm slowly becoming a fan. In the end, shoot what works, what's available and what ya like. I'm sticking with my Muzzy's as i tend to shoot and shoot often, $30 for a 6 pack of heads i'm diggin'.

What will you be hunting?? I am going to do some serious broadhead testing this year.. I have a moose/bison combo hunt booked and will be testing two blade heads.. But just for shits and giggles i am gonig to test some 3 blade heads as well.. I wont shoot mechanicals.. I refuse..

I will say it depends on what I am hunting when i choose a head.. I know most people find one head and stick with it. >But think about it.. If your shooting something like a mule deer or antelope.. The only important thing is arrow flight.. Doesnt mater the head.. because to be honest any broadhead will do...

Now for something like a elk or moose.. You most likely wont be making long shots and you want penetration. so for that you probably want something stouter...

People change arrows for different game so im not sure why broadheads are any different..

And yes i realize you can get a VPA to fly to 40-50 yard even farther.. But a head like a Exodus or ST will most likey fly a little better..

I say dont limit yourself to one head..

rodney482

WKR
Killed with both.

I only use VPA heads.
fly great
I practice with same head I hunt with. (For me this is huge)
easy to touch up
strong!!!!

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
What will you be hunting?? I am going to do some serious broadhead testing this year.. I have a moose/bison combo hunt booked and will be testing two blade heads.. But just for shits and giggles i am gonig to test some 3 blade heads as well.. I wont shoot mechanicals.. I refuse..

I will say it depends on what I am hunting when i choose a head.. I know most people find one head and stick with it. >But think about it.. If your shooting something like a mule deer or antelope.. The only important thing is arrow flight.. Doesnt mater the head.. because to be honest any broadhead will do...

Now for something like a elk or moose.. You most likely wont be making long shots and you want penetration. so for that you probably want something stouter...

People change arrows for different game so im not sure why broadheads are any different..

And yes i realize you can get a VPA to fly to 40-50 yard even farther.. But a head like a Exodus or ST will most likey fly a little better..

I say dont limit yourself to one head..

In theory that sounds great, but ill be hunting Antelope, Mule Deer, Moose, and Elk for a continuous 7 week block with no time in between the hunts to retune my setup. Ive used Rage 2 Blades exclusively since 2010. I won't use a head unless it flies true. So if I get the fixed head to fly true, I don't see much reason to switch to another head for smaller animals. If my fixed heads didn't fly accurately I'd def want something else for the smaller game, but then I'd want something else for the big critters too (why use an inaccurate BH ever?)

I have used the slick tricks for about 3-4 years now and they fly great. I've used many traditional style heads, but to be honest, I'm not a super tune type guy and I've found my STs fly the same as my FPs to the "T" and for me I simply don't want to tinker with it.

As an FYI I have killed big bucks, bulls, bears, and prongorn with STs and they have been fine. I use the blades I've killed stuff with for target practice, drop the blades, put new ones in with the same rotation and position and wala. You will be fine with them