Slider Opinions for the Elk hunters

Any elk hunters get a slider sight and never use it? I have a 5 pin currently and would probably be Ok continuing to practice within 60 yards, and my elk action has all been much shorter than this and I hope to keep it this way. Just trying to decide if a slider was worth the extra weight, cost, complexity. I'm thinking of just building a new fixed 5 pin instead. The only reason I'd get a slider is to extend my practice range.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
im moving from a fixed 5 pin to a slider for the same reason you have yours, i want to be able to take long bombs at the range or 3d course. Currently limited to 60yds and hitting the pie plate isnt that hard.

Read1t48

WKR
I think it’s good for each hunter to know their maximum range. However, a slider can be helpful for a variety of aspects including a follow-up shot. My slider allows me to shoot precisely at any yardage.... 23, 46, 72, etc. I don’t have to split pins if I have time to move it. On your 3-D course, you might actually find yourself using your slider on every shot because you can be precise right to the yardage. Corey Jacobson just took a long and precise follow up shot while hunting Roosevelt in Alaska. That follow up shot likely kept that elk from going off of a cliff and being very difficult to retrieve. You obviously have to practice at longer distances but I am a fan of a slider.

Zac

WKR
I would look at one of the sights with a bottom floating pin vs an entire floating housing. Really for hunting your just using that sight for a follow up shot if needed. The range that the floating pin gives you is really adequate for hunting situations, and it allows you to keep the exact same anchor position. Option, and Trophy Ridge both make sights with this feature.

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
I was on the fence for years. I moved to a Black Gold 3 pin slider about two years ago and regret not converting sooner. I have 3 fixed for 30, 40, 50 and can hold over for 60. Anything beyond i use slider with my bottom pin.

One of the biggest benefits ive seen with the slider is the ability practice and be accurate at longer ranges. Leading up to the season i consistently shoot 80, 90, & 100yds. This builds soo much confidence & skill, that the 20-70yd shots seem like a chip shot. Im never going to take a 100yd shot at an animal, but i will take an 80. I shot my mule deer this year at 79yds after he busted me drawing my bow at a water hole. He busted, and stopped to look back at 79 yds, i dialed and smacked him, went 30 yds.

Take a look at Black Gold sights they are top notch, i have two and really like them.

Last edited:
I hunt with an Option 8s with 4 fixed pins at 20/30/40/50 yds and the slider set at 60 yds (until/unless I need to move it for a longer shot). The elk I've shot have all been with one of the fixed pins, but the slider could come in handy for a longer follow-up. I mainly wanted the slider for long range practice at home and for shooting TAC. My slider bottoms out around 130 yds with a 400-ish gr arrow and around 90 yds with an arrow in the high-500's (at 70#/28.5").

ndayton

WKR
I like having a slider but having said that if you are a forgetful person (which I am) it can cost you big time.
Last year I got into some elk got an arrow knocked and ready to shoot but it never came together, reflecting on the encounter I noticed my slider was set to 80 yards from when I was at the range.
Fast forward a few hours later I arrowed a bull at 20 yards filling my tag but I immediately had the though of how sick I would have been had I not caught my slider and shooting over the bull.

OP
G
The thing I don't like about the slider is the big knob hanging out there. I will lash my bow to my backpack alot.

Chedster

FNG
I went to a spot Hogg fast Eddie double pin from a fixed 5 pin and haven’t looked back. This year I had two bulls fighting in the open and was able to take my time and dial right in for a 76 yard shot and double lunged one of bulls. I use the double pin for treestand hunting. Can shoot out to 40 yards without dialing my sight

ahlgringo

WKR
spott hogg fast Eddie double pin here. covers out to 40 then dial. Love it, shot most other types.

TheTone

WKR
The vast majority of my elk hunting is in thick dense timber, hard to justify a sight for shooting far when you rarely can see an elk at more than 50 yards. The only real scenario where I could picture myself using one is for a follow up shot on an already wounded elk.

nphunter

WKR
I've had a CBE Tek hybrid since they came out in 2013, It's been on a couple of bows and works great. I have a 5 pin slider and can shoot out to 115 yards at 280fps, I have a hundred-yard target range at the house and shoot it frequently. I love my slider and have never had to change my anchor enough to notice and I use a nose button on the string and it still touches the tip at all distances.

I have only killed a couple of animals using the slider, 1 buck in ID and a bull that I thought I had already hit here in OR. Shooting at long range defiantly make the 60 yard and close shots feel like a chip shot though. This year's bull I shot at 60 yards which is the second furthest I've ever killed a bull, I knew as soon as the shot broke that that bull was in trouble.

3EB3FB02-BA1B-4072-89D6-70A8420C0FD5.jpeg

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting a single pin for 9 years elk hunting and have never once had the sight cost me a shot. I really don't like a cluttered sight picture, especially in low light. This year for fun a switched to the spotthog triple stack and really like it. Each pin is vertical and are movable independently. It also has 3 separate movable indicators as well. It's a really good option if your like me.

Attachments

• 20210921_085922.jpg
    20210921_085922.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 26