Slider vs fixed pin questions

Rob5589

WKR
Do you multi-pin slider folks find yourselves using the slide feature very often in the field? I currently use a 7 pin (but only using 6 do to slowish bow speeds) and it works fine being that my bow's speed is slow enough that there is decent gaps between the pins. But, I have a new to me bow coming which should be a bit quicker which makes me a bit apprehensive with regards to tighter pin gaps and obscuring the sight picture.

I am looking at a MBG slider, 5 pins 20-60, then slide for further. The deal is, I really don't have readily available access to further than 80 yards. And honestly, have never shot beyond 80 on targets ever. The slider is more expensive as well which isn't an issue, just don't want to spend money if unnecessary.

So what do you guys think? Slider or fixed?

Thanks

jolemons

WKR
I think you answered your question. I only use my slider for practice past 70 yards and an occasional long poke at an animal under the right circumstances. Fixed would meet your criteria.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Thanks guys. I looked again and the MBG Revenge with 3rd axis is actually a bit more than the Mountain Lite slider. Hmmm...

If you don’t have a problem with more pins confusing the sight picture I’d say go for it. I went with the 3 pin bg pro not intending on ever using my floater in the field but for practice out to 100 it’s perfect also comes in handy on those who buys the beer shots at the end of a 3D shoot!

jmez

WKR
Same as above. Anything over 60 is for practice. I do shoot a lot at 70-80 though.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
As the rest have mentioned above. Not many of us, are comfortable at the first shot past 60. Some may be indeed and their skill sets and experience and arrow count are indeed eligible for such a feat. I’ve run many sights over the years. Fixed and slides. I’ve become less and less of a fan of “ shooting “ the gap. With range finders today, I can pick anything from 20-80, (to the yard) and drop the hammer with the slider. That being said. I do run a heavier arrow 550 ish and my speed has certainly slowed. So the gaps have increased a wee bit. If you’re only going to 60 max and don’t mind the pin clutter or bridging the gap have atter.... for my self I’ve come to prefer the 20-30-40 MBG verdict slider. Easy to view and I’m covered from the first shot, to the reach of the follow up second if need be.

Just a few thoughts that you might toss around to help ya decide :)

Cheers pals.
Either way —- happy shooting :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave3c

FNG
I know it is a different brand but I just switched from a fixed pin setup to a four pin HHA Tetra Max. 9 out of 10 times in the woods I would use the fixed 4 pins, however it does give me the option to dial in my exact yardage. This comes in handy when the conditions (terrain, cover, animal movement, etc) allow me to dial exactly. I notice a difference in accuracy particularly past 50 yds. As others stated this is probably even more important for target shooters. To me the multi-pin sliders are the best of both worlds. HHA also gives you the option of switching the housing out for a single pin if you want to run that in the off season if you target shoot without having to buy a completely new sight. Other brands may do the same. Best of luck what ever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If your new bow is faster, just use a heavier arrow with a speed that matches your old pin gaps. Then you don't have to change your sight at all. I love my 7 pin sights.

I like using a 3 pin slider more just because I spend a lot of time just shooting my bow. It's a lot of fun being able to dial to the yardage on different courses and try to be as accurate as possible. In the field, I know I'm confident within 50yrds and I feel like the more open sight picture helps me. I do also know when I dial my sight out and set that "floating pin" distance what the other adjusted pin yardages are too. You gotta remember a lot but I think sliders are awesome for for hunter/shooter.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Thanks all. I ended up with a fixed 7 pin again since I wasn't 100% sure on a slider.

JNDEER

WKR
Like to sling em far. 7 pin slider on my old light arrows and soon to get a 5 pin slider with my heavy arrows cause I cannot get the 7th pin to hit 80.

Head up to EDH range.. i believe you can shoot to 100 and if not the Maya range in Roseville I believe lets you sling them to 100.

Beendare

WKR
I’ve personally seen multiple guys screw up opportunities on animals due to the slider site.

Most were due to guys fiddling with their site when they should have been drawing.

The most recent was just last week when my ex ASA shooter buddy missed a 160 buck at 16 yards… He didn’t remember to move his site.

no doubt that the sliders are more accurate for long-distance shots that are outside of the range of a normal five or seven pin site.