Slider VS Fixed pins for Elk

grfox92

WKR
Recently moved out west and need to set my bow up for my current environment.

I am previously an eastern treestand bowhunter and have used a single fixed pin for most of my life. Never really shot over 35 yards so that set up worked.

I've seen alot of threads like this in the past but couldn't find them through searching.

I like a single pin slider, but have heard guys bash them for not being able to make adjustments necessary in the moment of truth. I get that...things can happens fast and mistakes can be made.

On the other hand, I find a multi pin sight cluttered. Especially with how fast today's bows are, there isn't much space in between pins, and I've heard of guys using the wrong pin in the moment of truth.

I've never elk hunted, and 2021 will be my first season, I want to get my bow set up to start shooting and would like to hear from some of you experienced guys.

Thanks,

Gary

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Western hunting: two fixed pins. One set at 30 yds and the other at 50. Aim low up to 30, higher until the 50 yd begins to work for aiming low and then aim high for shots up to 60. Can adjust quickly and the clutter is minimal.

Depending on your setup, it should work. The lower poundage the bow, the closer the most far shot should be (as in 40 yds for 60 lb bows). For this scenario, a 25 and 40 yd pin will be more optimal.

Everyone has their own way, I dislike sliders and too many pins.

I haven’t tried one pin sights because I want fewer things to worry about right before a shot and in shooting situations that develop rapidly. I have a 5 pin sight set at 25,35,45,55,65, so they are spaced enough they don’t bother me. But agree with ^^^^, a 2 or three pin set up may be a good compromise.

Trevor96

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Spot Hogg double pin
I use it as a single pin slider in the off season and when I go hunting I set my sight at 30 and the 2nd pin is 43-44 yds
I can shoot 0-50 without moving my sight

I love my single pin. I’m using a spot Hogg fast eddie xl. It’s the double pin but I don’t practice as much with the lower pin. I leave it at 30 and am comfortable enough up to 40. I do practice a lot that way holding a little higher or a little lower. I think that unless a person practices a lot with a single pin and is very comfortable with it a fixed sight with multiple pins would be better for them. There’s too many variables and say an elk it can come in very fast. Too much going on in my opinion to try to range and dial in the slider to shoot an X. I’ve also never killed an elk that was over 30 yards away. I like the single pin for 3D too. I prefer the sight picture to not be cluttered up with pins.

Gumbo

WKR
I've shot 5 and 6 pins for the last decade or so, the last three being on a slider. I decided to try a 4-pin to force myself to dial on longer shots...it lasted one trip to the range. Having to dial up and down that much sucks. I'd way rather have 5 or 6 pins, which is essentially a fixed pin sight at my hunting ranges. I don't really understand the clutter complaint, unless you have bad eyes or a really fast bow. Just get a very simple color pattern (GGYGG) and it quickly becomes a no brainer selecting your pin, and you have no adjustments to make at crunch time (unless you really want to dial to a semi-specific yardage).

Hoot

WKR
I also like my fast Eddie xl double pin. I set my bottom pin to 40, puts my top pin about 27 yards usually, I shot my bull at 24 yards this year, didn’t have to worry about dialing i just shot him when he cleared a tree and I ranged it after the fact.

ive figured that if I need to make a shot greater than 40 yards I’ll be ranging and dialing my sight in any way.

I’ve killed 6 animals with this set up and my shots were 18, 24, 33, 39, 39, and 42 yards and due to having lots of time, dialed my top pin to exact yardage on all of them except the 18 and 24 yard shots.

a lot of guys don’t like the single/double pin sliders but it works for me.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I've shot 5 and 6 pins for the last decade or so, the last three being on a slider. I decided to try a 4-pin to force myself to dial on longer shots...it lasted one trip to the range. Having to dial up and down that much sucks. I'd way rather have 5 or 6 pins, which is essentially a fixed pin sight at my hunting ranges. I don't really understand the clutter complaint, unless you have bad eyes or a really fast bow. Just get a very simple color pattern (GGYGG) and it quickly becomes a no brainer selecting your pin, and you have no adjustments to make at crunch time (unless you really want to dial to a semi-specific yardage).

Bad Eyes....bingo

I have an appointment for glasses and contacts Dec 4th. I'm not blind by any means, but things are definetly getting fuzzier and fuzzier and I know it effects me shooting pistols and open sights.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My eyes aren't the greatest these days especially the pins in different lights.......sometimes they're clear and sometimes they're fuzzy. But the center of a fuzzy pin is still the center of the pin from my experience.

I use 7-pin sights for year round shooting and love them, but have never used my bottom two pins on an elk hunt. If your pins are too close to each other........spread them out with a heavier arrow or slow the bow down. I shoot 75lbs at almost 33" draw and have plenty of room between my pins........even my 20 and 30. I use the same setup for 3D and have no issues aiming for even nickel-sized rings.

Or you can choose to use a slider with however many pins you want. Use whatever works for you.

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked dat the Option Archery sights? It is literally the best of both worlds. My only complaint with my option 6 is that I can’t shoot as far as some of the other slider sites on the market. If you get an Option 8 you could probably reach out a little further.

Have you looked dat the Option Archery sights? It is literally the best of both worlds. My only complaint with my option 6 is that I can’t shoot as far as some of the other slider sites on the market. If you get an Option 8 you could probably reach out a little further.

I tried an option, I didn't like it as much. Granted I didn't need to worry about making sure my housing was on "zero". But I couldn't shoot nearly as far as with an adjustable housing.

Kiddross

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried it all and could never get use to a single pin. Especially when time is of the essence. I run a 5 pin black gold slider . 20-60 then slide to anything further if needed .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

TripleJ

WKR
I went to an Option 8 sight last year. I have 4 fixed pins and 1 slider. I keep my slider set at 60 when I am hunting. For me, it is the best of both worlds. I have fixed pins out to 60 for a quick shot, but If I need to dial for a longer shot, I can do that also. Plus, since my housing never moves, my peep/housing alignment is always the same, which helps me with my consistency.

I went to an Option 8 sight last year. I have 4 fixed pins and 1 slider. I keep my slider set at 60 when I am hunting. For me, it is the best of both worlds. I have fixed pins out to 60 for a quick shot, but If I need to dial for a longer shot, I can do that also. Plus, since my housing never moves, my peep/housing alignment is always the same, which helps me with my consistency.

man I tried a 4s and hated it. I wanted to love it so bad for the same reasons you stated but i shoot with both eyes open and could not get the double vision to go away when shooting close or long distance. The pins where to close to the sight housing ar close and long range and seemed to mess with my vision.

TripleJ

WKR
man I tried a 4s and hated it. I wanted to love it so bad for the same reasons you stated but i shoot with both eyes open and could not get the double vision to go away when shooting close or long distance. The pins where to close to the sight housing ar close and long range and seemed to mess with my vision.

I can see that being an issue for certain eyes. It doesn't seem to bother me, I shoot better with this sight then I have ever shot before. Luckily they make different types of bows, sights, rests, and releases so we can each find the combo that works best for our body type and personal style.

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
The double pin slider did great for me this year. In a situation where I had to drop my range finder while having little cover it was nice having the extra pin for a quick shot. I have one for sale on the classifieds at the moment from my backup bow Im selling. I’d personally not use a single pin due to maybe not having time to range, set your pin and go through your shot process.

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried it all and could never get use to a single pin. Especially when time is of the essence. I run a 5 pin black gold slider . 20-60 then slide to anything further if needed .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Same set up here and it works great. I tend to dial a lot more during practice to make that 60 and in shot that much easier during a hunt. I've debated on pulling a pin and going to 30-60 on my set pins but haven't done it yet.