SLIK 634 NOT impressed....

Block

WKR
So I bought a SLIK 634 since everyone on here seems to rate them so highly... I was currently using an Outdoorsman medium, and was hoping I could shave 6 Oz and possibly use the SLIK to glass standing. Well I am completely in shock how shakey this thing is even sitting and barely extended with my BTX-95 on it...Standing up fully extended was just flat out laughable even without a breath of wind. I don’t understand how anyone could even Use a spotter on this tripod unless I got a complete lemon !??

541hunter

WKR
I’m not the tallest in the world (5’ 7”) and I run the 734 for glassing standing. I haven’t tried the 634 before but I feel you would have to have the center post fully extended just to glass standing which is definitely not the most stable position. Then adding something as heavy as the btx-95 makes it just to much for the 634. I could be wrong though.

Firehawk

WKR
I would agree that the BTX95 is probably too much for the 634. Move up to the 834 or maybe the 734 (733) for a stiffer and more heavy duty option. I changed from the Promaster XC-M525 to a Slik 733 due to getting a larger Kowa 774 spotter. Really big difference in the ability to stabilize a heavier spotter like that. That spotter was just way too much for the Promaster XC-525 which is similar to the Slik 634.

I have a 634 i really like for glassing with binos while seated.

For my kowa 884 spotter I rely on a slik 824 with a gitzo fluid head. Stout but twice as heavy as the 634.

I owned a couple outdoorsmans tripods. The medium ain't no tripod for standing and glossing. The center post extension I hated. Much less stability. The tall is nice but my slik 824 is much sturdier imo.

marktole

WKR
I had a Slik 634 with a Sirui VA-5 head and always had issues using my ATX 85 spotter. Any wind, even with it low enough to sit behind the glass, made the image “vibrate” and rendered the scope useless. So you’re not alone in your opinion.

I got a Sirui R-2204 tripod that is heavier duty for pulling spotting scope duty. Have considered getting a slik 624 for hunts when a spotter is not needed, but still want a tripod for using binoculars.

Last edited:

fatrascal

WKR
The Outdoorsmans is not the lightest but if you cut too much weight you cut stability. So you have to decide what's most important for you. Fatrascal

OP
Block

Block

WKR
A $5,000 spotter supported by a $200 tripod?

You’re looking to shave 6oz from a tripod when your spotter is almost 8 pounds?
It’s a $300 tripod and 6 lb BTX... but yeah smart ass,, like I said I was TRYING the SLIK becuz people like you on a forum I probably shouldn’t listen to claim SLIK tripods to be epic.. which I found out to NOT be the case...

OP
Block

Block

WKR
I had a Slik 634 with a Sirui VA-5 head and always had issues using my ATX 85 spotter. Any wind, even with it low enough to sit behind the glass, made the image “vibrate” and rendered the scope useless. So you’re not alone in your opinion.

I got a Sirui R-2204 tripod that is heavier duty for pulling spotting scope duty. Have considered getting a slik 624 for hunts when a spotter is not needed, but still want a tripod for using binoculars.
I use the same VA-5 and love it. My friend has the 733 for his dual 65 swaro BigEye setup and says it’s great... maybe I shoulda tried the 733 or 833. I wish I could upload a video I took of a bear 2 days ago with this 634.. you would think it’s a $70 vortex tripod

OP
Block

Block

WKR
Everyone else thanks for the reply’s. I’ll probably have a 634 on the classifieds this week haha

Trial153

WKR
I think your asking a lot of a 634 running any 85mm with pan head too. Just a bit more then it’s built to handle weight wise.

Last edited:
Saw this killer deal today at cameraland (@gr8fuldoug ) on Slik 634's and was curious what other folks thought of them since I really like mine. I bought mine in the fall before the price increase and run the Maven CS.1 scope, which comes in around 40oz. Before I bought it, I spent a long time talking to Cody @ GoHunt (I'm assuming he's on these forums here somewhere but not sure. If someone knows him, feel free to tag him, and Cody, if you read this, feel free to add/correct if I misremembered anything here) - I am no expert by any means, but I found that conversation very helpful and thought maybe someone else would as well. Here are my notes, FWIW:
- flip-locks or twists? --> twists are better (per Cody), stay cleaner & are never in open position. Also do not catch on pack straps.
- CF vs AL? --> CF is quieter & smoother but more expensive
- the Slik 6 series tripods are the lightest that he will go, using the Sirui VA-5 head
- with that setup, 85mm scope is MAX, and that only while sitting
- he likes the 7 series as better fit for 85mm scopes
- for 634 vs 635, the 635 is shorter in compacted state but extends to same height (18.7" w/ 5 leg sections vs 14.6" w/ 4 leg sections)
- tripod + head setups < 3# he considers "lightweight" and doesn't like, preferring min. 4# setups.

All in all, I thought this advice made sense for me and is why I chose the 634 + VA-5 head- I almost always glass sitting or kneeling, I wanted 4 leg sections, and I carry a relatively lightweight scope. This setup comes in @ 3 lbs 6oz, and based on Cody's advice, it totally makes sense to me why @Block had a bad experience with the 6 series - I'm sorry that you had go through the trial and error, but maybe this experience will help someone else avoid the same pain! If anyone has questions about their particular setup, I highly recommend calling Cody @or Doug before pulling the trigger.

Side note: I also learned a lot from this presentation by Jay Scott on glassing & optics that I found on KUIU.com.

@Block --> what tripod did you end up going with?

OP
Block

Block

WKR
Saw this killer deal today at cameraland (@gr8fuldoug ) on Slik 634's and was curious what other folks thought of them since I really like mine. I bought mine in the fall before the price increase and run the Maven CS.1 scope, which comes in around 40oz. Before I bought it, I spent a long time talking to Cody @ GoHunt (I'm assuming he's on these forums here somewhere but not sure. If someone knows him, feel free to tag him, and Cody, if you read this, feel free to add/correct if I misremembered anything here) - I am no expert by any means, but I found that conversation very helpful and thought maybe someone else would as well. Here are my notes, FWIW:
- flip-locks or twists? --> twists are better (per Cody), stay cleaner & are never in open position. Also do not catch on pack straps.
- CF vs AL? --> CF is quieter & smoother but more expensive
- the Slik 6 series tripods are the lightest that he will go, using the Sirui VA-5 head
- with that setup, 85mm scope is MAX, and that only while sitting
- he likes the 7 series as better fit for 85mm scopes
- for 634 vs 635, the 635 is shorter in compacted state but extends to same height (18.7" w/ 5 leg sections vs 14.6" w/ 4 leg sections)
- tripod + head setups < 3# he considers "lightweight" and doesn't like, preferring min. 4# setups.

All in all, I thought this advice made sense for me and is why I chose the 634 + VA-5 head- I almost always glass sitting or kneeling, I wanted 4 leg sections, and I carry a relatively lightweight scope. This setup comes in @ 3 lbs 6oz, and based on Cody's advice, it totally makes sense to me why @Block had a bad experience with the 6 series - I'm sorry that you had go through the trial and error, but maybe this experience will help someone else avoid the same pain! If anyone has questions about their particular setup, I highly recommend calling Cody @or Doug before pulling the trigger.

Side note: I also learned a lot from this presentation by Jay Scott on glassing & optics that I found on KUIU.com.

@Block --> what tripod did you end up going with?

I bought the Beefy REVIC 532-C tripod with no center post. Jason Carter recommended it. Absolutely LOVE it for both my BTX and NL 12x…Super stable even in wind fully extended it’s better than anything I’ve tried even close to this weight, (3.3 lbs) I swapped in my VA-5 head btw.

Attachments

• 016272BD-2188-4305-B029-2D2C7C11BF55.jpeg
    016272BD-2188-4305-B029-2D2C7C11BF55.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
First I've heard of them, but whoa - those REVIC tripods look awesome!!! Nice find! (y) Definitely putting it on my future upgrade list.

What do you mean you by 'sealing in your VA-5 head'? I looked around but can't find a reference - are you doing some specific to seal out dirt/water/etc.?

OP
Block

Block

WKR
First I've heard of them, but whoa - those REVIC tripods look awesome!!! Nice find! (y) Definitely putting it on my future upgrade list.

What do you mean you by 'sealing in your VA-5 head'? I looked around but can't find a reference - are you doing some specific to seal out dirt/water/etc.?
Sorry that was just a auto correct typo for “swapped in” the VA-5 Sirui head