SLIK Pro CF-635 Mod

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What size scope are you using? I only ask because it looks like most of your height is coming from the center section fully extended. I've heard that really raised the center of gravity how's your stability?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Ohio Darin
Nice....but that squaring jig is bad ass....more pics of that if you would please.

Did you make or purchase that?
[I just bought a spool gun so I can weld up some aluminum....a jig is on my list]

It's by Firenock. I was going to make one using roller skate bearings but ended up just buying one.

Firenock Arrow Prep

What do you mean? Can you post a pic? I know I can shorten the SLIK center column but like it where it is.

It’s basically an extra extension for the center column to make the overall tripod more compact but achieve the same height. I don’t need that much center column height but I don’t see a way to shorten it without some major aluminum cutting and probably loss of structural integrity and stability.

82A4E2E7-172C-4408-BD9F-5F8A7CE66AE2.png

OP
Ohio Darin
What size scope are you using? I only ask because it looks like most of your height is coming from the center section fully extended. I've heard that really raised the center of gravity how's your stability?

60mm scope. That picture is pretty deceiving too. Only 25% of the height is coming from the 8" of center post. Also the center post will only come into play when I am sitting on something other than the ground. This set up is almost spot on of the Outdoorsman Compact I had. Very stable.

OP
Ohio Darin
It’s basically an extra extension for the center column to make the overall tripod more compact but achieve the same height. I don’t need that much center column height but I don’t see a way to shorten it without some major aluminum cutting and probably loss of structural integrity and stability.

View attachment 93914
Return it and buy a SLIK? :LOL: You could always remove the upper part of the column with it's twist lock. Cut the upper column about an inch from the top plate and epoxy the 1" stub piece into the bottom shaft.

Return it and buy a SLIK? :LOL: You could always remove the upper part of the column with it's twist lock. Cut the upper column about an inch from the top plate and epoxy the 1" stub piece into the bottom shaft.

Haha! Let’s see how light I can get this thing before I’m willing to drop $200 on a new one. I think you’re right on the cutting option..may not be worth the effort for an ounce or two. I’ll post up the finished product when I’m done tinkering.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got one of those brunton carbon fiber tripods when they were discontinued. I was super surprised at the difference between carbon fiber and aluminum at damping vibration. I've cut my tripod into pieces to try and save some wieght and make it perfect for my uses. Love your project you saved a bunch of weight with a bit of trimming. I cut the center section down on mine but it didn't save much weight honestly.

I’m at 29.5oz including quick plate with the new head, 2 sections removed, and 5/8 caps installed. From a quick out-the-window test it’s stead and smooth enough even at full extension from a chair. My heavier tripod is more stable (now wearing the promaster ball head) but for the weight savings I think the small one will do just fine. Total cost was $117 plus I got a new head for my big tripod. 5E1FD3B3-CA66-4F33-BB8A-2BD79565C3B0.jpeg

OP
Ohio Darin
I’m at 29.5oz including quick plate with the new head, 2 sections removed, and 5/8 caps installed. From a quick out-the-window test it’s stead and smooth enough even at full extension from a chair. My heavier tripod is more stable (now wearing the promaster ball head) but for the weight savings I think the small one will do just fine. Total cost was $117 plus I got a new head for my big tripod. View attachment 93977

Sweet! Sub 2 pounds - that's what I was after.

I did a similar thing to my XC525c but did not cut off the threaded section so I can add the extensions back if I ever want the height or to sell. Definitely like the weight savings.
IMG_5882.jpgIMG_5885.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elite

WKR
I did a similar thing to my XC525c but did not cut off the threaded section so I can add the extensions back if I ever want the height or to sell. Definitely like the weight savings.
View attachment 99571View attachment 99573

Do you have any pictures of what you installed over the exposed threaded pieces on the legs? And can you re assemble it after if you want the full height for a different style of hunting? I am looking to lighten up my xc525c

Darren D

FNG
After humping around my 36.8 ounce Outdoorsmans compact tripod on my sheep hunt I figured I could do better and gave it to my guide.

Picked up the SLIK at less than half the price and 30.9 ounces.

bb7ff00d21197bf5dc0723f4bc368355.jpg

I bought this knowing I would modify it as it’s 14.5” taller than the Outdoorsmans and even that one was taller than needed since I prefer to sit while using a spotter.

Broke out the dremel with cut off wheel and arrow squaring jig and went to town cutting off the threaded connections.

c3e39ed5e3fa4ba518d115c18a1b62a5.jpg

Used the same squaring jig to clean up the cuts

7ef40e99cd66e7f4c6cd1d2a25f6c4c2.jpg

This is what was removed - bottom 2 sections and cut off connections.

ec3be4190f2ebcabde5027b5862dcd3f.jpg

Picked up some 5/8" rubber feet on Amazon and added a drop of gel super glue for added insurance.

2865ec4f62c6612d72e07eda3cb166fe.jpg

Finished product comes in at 23.8 ounces. Loaded up with my micro pan head it’s all in at 31.6 ounces vs. 44.3 ounces.

Pretty compact right at 16”

95569e1569b4dd05e7294e5c5a20d317.jpg

And here it is all set up

107414ba61b5b0d751ad15a96098d19d.jpg

Took right at 30 minutes from start to finish.

Great work!

Darren D

FNG
Got looking at the top of the tripod and how it’s constructed. Don’t really need this big of a plate for my head.

bba8eefff6c9d41e41efd041071400ae.jpg

Picking up an additional 1.2 ounces. Here is what’s left after removal.

29f9f5edbf4826d92ea8c74da372522c.jpg

Puts me at 30.4 ounces tripod and head. Almost a pound savings over my old set up.

I removed mine as well. Great minds think alike 😆.

I understand why some people would prefer removing the center post as well. But I like to stand up when I glass because of a tricky bad back. At 6’3”, I need the full height the center column provides. But man that center column is heavy!!! I ordered a 18mm OD carbon fiber tube today. Going to see if I can swap out the aluminum column with carbon to save several ounces.

More to come 👍