Slik Sprint Mini II vs Slik 624 CF

I prefer the Sprint Pro II versus the Mini II and have both. Never tried the 624. The Sprint Pro II does what I need a tripod to do when hunting above treeline.....primarily sheep. My primary scope is a Swaro angled 65mm, with a Nikon 50mm as my light weight option. I use the Sprint Pro with the center pipe removed, and typically set it up with the legs angled out wider to the second notch, straddling my legs, extended maybe one or at the most two extensions while I sit up against a boulder. In this low position with the legs out for a broad stable base and never with all three extensions out, it is a good tripod (factory ball head) and has 6 seasons of hard use on it.

What it is not good for is glassing with all three sections fully extended as it is quite shaky in that position. You could remove the lowest skinny leg section and make it a two section tripod and save the weight. It would require new rubber leg caps, and I haven't gotten around to it. Also, it is much more stable with the wider base of the second notch out on the leg angle adjustment. The center pipe is shaky if you leave it in and extend the tripod too.

As per the Mini Pro, it is so short that I find myself having to use the flimsy third extension too often, which leads to a shaky setup. I have a like brand new one that I should sell as it collects dust.

oenanthe

WKR
Very similar experience here.

I have the Mini II (use it for sheep hunting) and wish I had the Pro II as it would be slightly more stable for any given height due to the longer main leg sections. I leave the center section at home as it is too shaky, and usually don't use the third section. I do almost all my spotting seated.

The Mini II is a good tripod and I find it adequate when seated even with my 82mm scope. But if the wind really starts blowing or if I want to use it while standing it is too shaky.

OP
G
Man I'm having a tough time shopping for a tripod. Too many choices? I have a benro s2 head on the way. There don't seem to be many or any tripods geared just for sitting. I don't need a standing tripod, but I like the idea of a little longer leg sections because of the reasons you guys pointed out in this thread but a compact one would be ok. I plan to use it sitting with my 10x42s but want to plan for a big angle spotter down the road. I really like twist locks. I'd like to spend $100 max but I don't know if that's reasonable.

ljalberta

WKR
In my limited tripod experience, I've yet to find a tripod that is as light as the Sprint Mini, as stable as more expensive and heavier tripods, and under $100. It might be unicorn. I'm currently in the lighter, and cheaper realm of tripods, but believe the weight and cost to be worth it for an upgrade. Hoping to try out a Slik 634 or Promaster XC525C since they have such a following on here.

I run a slik 634. I picked it up used for your budget price of $100. If you are planning to go with a big spotter a 624 would be my minimum. When you factor in the expense of optics tripods are relatively cheap. SPEND the money now on an adequate tripod.

OP
G
Ya I don't want to wish I bought a better one later. A used 634 would be great.