Sling as a shooting aid?

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
Have you used the sling as a shooting aid while hunting game, large or small?

Which sling do you prefer, and why?

Normally I try to find or make a rifle rest, often it's my backpack, sometimes it's a handy log or branch or even a rock. I've also used bipods and shooting sticks. But the good ol' sling has come in handy a few times, including on this fine Wyoming bull I shot 20 years ago from sitting, with my Turner sling wrapped snugly around my left arm.
R2pWAiGh.jpg

I still like my Turner sling. In recent years I've also come to like the quick-adjusting Montana sling. And sometimes I just have a simple leather carry strap, but I'll have it rigged to the appropriate length for use as a "hasty sling."

My Turner sling, rigged for use as a loop sling, with the CZ 527 varmint rifle in 204 Ruger:
TNfI4Tsh.jpg

The Turner sling normally resides on my 308 Win. I've taught a lot of people, many SWAT officers, how to use the sling as a shooting aid.
VSMyc4vh.jpg

Montana Sling, on my 25-06 with my 2017 Washington buck:
ETBfmmhh.jpg

Guy

USMC-40

WKR
That is what slings are intended for!!! Loop sling is a solid support. I like Montana slings - Pat Sinclair’s design. My longest shot to date on big game was made possible due to Pats sling being used.

Reactions: Guy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Every deer and elk I've ever shot with a rifle was free hand, and about 50/50 using the sling. Just depended on how much time I had to shoot. I always shot quickly, but if I had time to get my elbow through the sling to hold it tight, I did that.

Dunky

WKR
Classified Approved
I use on on all unsupported shots. Just have an uncle mikes mountain sling but can still get a wrap around my arm to snug the rifle in and stabilize.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I always thought that was one of its intended uses. I use it for that all the time. However, I can’t stand a loose sling dangling around when I take it off my shoulder. Apparently, everyone else likes loose slings.

I use Browning X-Cellerator slings on all of my rifles and shotguns. They’re one hand adjustable, so my sling gets adjusted tight to my weapon when not in use.

They’re the only sling I’ll use.

Wrench

WKR
It's worth mentioning that sucking up too tight on a stock that has a pressure point or isn't stiff can have accuracy effects.

With that said, everyone should learn 101 ways to get the shot off. You won't always be able to set up the tripod and kestrel.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite shooting sling is the RS-2 from Rifle-craft.com
Todd is a shooter and truly developed some great shooting slings.

howl

WKR
Never really found it to make a difference in taking the shot. Coming to rest with two points of contact is much more effective. It does help on follow through and getting back on target while running the action.

I’m always surprised how many people, some who are very accomplished shooters, don’t use a sling as a shooting aid.
Guy and I were studying the Police Arts at the same time, attended many of the same sniper schools, even in that environment, going back into the 90s it seemed to be a vanishing skill.
I absolutely understand how to use a bipod, duty rifles carried them for over 20 years. I don’t use a bipod hunting big game, just don’t like that hanging off the end of the rifle.
I almost always a sling while shooting game if I do not have a natural rest.
With a strong kneeling or sitting position and using a sling I’ll practice out to 500 effectively on steel.
If you’re unfamiliar with the finer points and have the opportunity to gain a little knowledge, I bet it ups your field shooting skills.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Spent a week learning how to use a sling at Edson Range during basic training. Been using that knowledge ever since.
Use the old Uncle Mike’s Mountain Sling, but now looking for a new one.

WCB

WKR
I have practiced using it but maybe ever actually used it messing around shooting prairie dogs or gophers. Never had the need in the field.

ande7824

Lil-Rokslider
Look into appleseed. My wife and I shot one over a weekend and it really improved my positional shooting with a sling. No regrets.

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
Look into appleseed. My wife and I shot one over a weekend and it really improved my positional shooting with a sling. No regrets.

I agree. Attend an Appleseed or CMP clinic and you'll quickly see how the proper use of a sling can benefit you when shooting from field positions.

-- Scott

slatty

WKR
Could I ask for suggestions for a sling? I notice that many suggested here are leather and some cotton as well. Looking for something durable, weatherproof (synthetic), and that can be effectively used as a shooting aid. I see the butler creek and magpul slings seem to fit this.. thanks for any advice.

Capman

FNG
My fiancee and I spent a while practicing how to use a sling. It was a good knowledge because I like it. It really does help.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Could I ask for suggestions for a sling? I notice that many suggested here are leather and some cotton as well. Looking for something durable, weatherproof (synthetic), and that can be effectively used as a shooting aid. I see the butler creek and magpul slings seem to fit this.. thanks for any advice.

I just ordered one of these: Wilderness Langlois Rhodesian Sling™

I've had traditional military slings. I've got a Latigo. I've got a bunch of quick adjust 2-points for my work guns. I don't know if said sling is any good, honestly, but I figured it's worth a shot and it should meet your criteria of durable.

I've tried a bunch of loop slings...definitely a skill set I don't have, though I keep trying. About the only thing I've managed definitely with a sling is pulling shots several inches on an issue M16A3 by applying too much pressure to the not floated KAC rail.

Rich M

WKR
We used to shoot nra competition w slings.

I've used em on hunts and seemingly automatically.

Using bipod or pack a bit more these days.