Sling mounted bipod suggestions for open plains mule deer hunt

I'm looking for some feedback on some different sling mounted bipods. I'm going on a mule deer hunt in wy. Right now I'm considering a harris bipod and a rotating mount. Anyone have any other bipod they suggest?

The Harris is an awesome bipod for shooting off a picnic table while getting practiced up. But awful bulky, and will grab a lot of branches while trying to pack through any type of vegetation. Which shouldn’t bother you hunting through some wide open plains. But if you are carrying your rifle on a sling for long hikes, it HURTS scraping around on your shoulder blade. I just spent way too much on a Spartan Javelin magnetic mount bidpod. Which is super easy to just yank on or off the gun in seconds. I love the idea of it. I just installed it yesterday, and haven’t had a chance to shoot off it yet. It doesn’t feel as rock steady as the Harris. But I think with a little practice will be perfect for me. Hope to report back this evening! All that being said, I have loved my Harris for many years. Make sure you get the good one that rotates, not fixed.

I also have a Bog “Death Grip” tripod that I sometimes carry in my pack. Might be a good option for you. I need to practice off it more than I have, but if you are in some high grass, it’s tough to beat.

Wags

WKR
I also have a Bog “Death Grip” tripod that I sometimes carry in my pack. Might be a good option for you. I need to practice off it more than I have, but if you are in some high grass, it’s tough to beat.

I've used one for my son and I the last 2 seasons. We've killed a few animals with it and I've been glad I had it when it was needed.

The only issue I've had with using a harris and sling was the sling attachment point would come loose on mine and I damn near dropped my rifle one day. Other than that I've been happy with it. I'll be upgrading at some point to save weight though.

I've used a Harris for years. They work good, but they are a bit heavy. I love the feel of the gun without it, but have found that I'm so used to sitting my gun down using it that, I kind of feel lost without it :).

wytx

WKR
I have a Harris bipod that never leaves my rifle, plains or mountains it comes in handy. Get a length that fits you prone shooting and sitting.
The Harris is ready when you need it, just pop the legs down and get set. Animals will hear the metal click though of the legs if just yanked down.

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from a Harris to Javelin bipod when they came on the scene a few years ago. The Harris bipods work fine but tend to be a bit heavy, and it's hard to beat the weight savings with the Javelin bipod. It attaches quickly, and is super light weight. You can only use it for prone shooting, so when I am in taller grass where prone shooting is not an option, I just bench off my hunting pack.

hunterjmj

WKR
I picked up the javelin last year and keep the bipod in my Bino harness. It's so light you don't even notice it. I don't hunt with a sling so I can't comment but I just ordered 2 gunsmith adapters for our rifles so the sling swivel on your stock stays in play. Besides shooting the bipod is nice for setting your rifle down while peeing, spotting or whatever. It's expensive but I think it's worth it.

Harris is permanent. I like a Versa Pod. Same thing But it pops on and off so you don’t have to hike around with it on the gun. Plus it comes with an extra mount that you can put on another rifle and use it on more than one gun.

JD Jones

WKR
403D8A19-40C0-4AB4-9A3C-82BCBFFE88B6.jpeg
For now, this is what I’m using for a bipod option that’s quick release and requires no drilling

The harris 12-25 is the most versatile bipod I have found. You can use it prone, sitting, kneeling etc. its awesome. Most of my rifles have these as permanent fixtures with the exception of 1 that wears an Atlas cal tall.

The backlanz bipod out of new zealand looks amazing, I am trying to figure out how to justify the cost, but the function and weight seems second to none. Wish I could get my hands on one and play with it to see if its worth the price tag.

ewade07

WKR
Get a Harris that can extend out so that you can sit and shoot. Chances are you might not be able to shoot prone with sagebrush and shrub.

ToolMann

WKR
Harris for me to. I used a cheap Caldwell for years and it served my alright. I take a lot of sitting shots. If I need to go prone and the vegetation height allows, I just use my pack.

BHanson

FNG
Hard to go wrong with tried and true Harris. Trigger stick tripod is a good option and gives you something to glass off of.

amassi

WKR
Permanent mounted bipods suck, they hang up on everything and add unnecessary weight to the rifle for none prone shots. Short pic rail and a qd bipod is the bees knees. If you want to go lighter than spartan precision magnetic quick attach bipod is a great system.
Also some way of attaching a tripod near the mag well is worth its weight

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk