Slingshot? Paperback?

HighHunter1232

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody bring a slingshot into the backcountry for grouse? I'm thinking some fried bird would be quite the treat after a few days of dehydrated meals.

How about a paperback book? I tend to have trouble sleeping, and a good book helps pass the night time hours.

Thanks,

Dan

IrishnId

WKR
Never brought a slingshot, but I always have an arrow with a Saunders rubber blunt and some spares in my backpack. I used to use the judo points, but they'll stick in a tree, and most of my shots are lined up with the tree as a backstop. If ya don't you'll lose a few arrows shooting through the grouse or missing. We shoot quit a few every year.

a3dhunter

WKR
Always have a good book with me....
2013-07-13_12-14-14_457-1.jpg

unm1136

WKR
I always have a book or two, or my Nook with a solar charger. After readin Patrick's essays I bring a small bag of rice, and another of IQF vegetables that I dehydrated, and a small nalgene of oil, a couple of gallon size ziplocks, and some bug spray. Rather than a slingshot I have a Ruger MKIII with a threaded barrel and a .22 suppressor that I take along.Usually hiking in will provide a couple of rabbits, squirrels, grouse or quail. It required me to bring along a 1.5 L pot, but the rice and vegetables can provide about four servings per pound without meat, so about two meals. A rabbit will increase it to three meals, and two rabbits will provide at least four meals per pound of rice and veg. The ruger with can weighs about 2.5 pounds, loaded. The larger pot adds half a pound, and the bug spray adds half a pound. More fuel for the simmer time. So for an additional four to five pounds I have two meals if all goes horrible, and if things go normally that four to five pounds will feed four large meals. This works best if it is more than just me going out, and my daughter and I are looking forward to rabbit and rice stew when we go out.

pat

bobhunts

WKR
Probably not gonna do a sling shot in Alaska this year but I sure will bring a book. So will one other and hopefully the other. Reading passes time and will help with going to sleep. Bob.

Jonboy71

FNG
Always bring a good book, plus I bring a small note pad and pen and write down notes from the days hunt, helps me remember all the little things about the area, especially for the following year!

Bring a book and keep one arrow with some sort of small game point on it. I keep one with a blunt for squirrels and one with an old bear up broadhead for grouse because I have had more than a few judos and blunts bounce off or deflect when hitting the birds. There is no better practice or way to prepare for a shot at a larger animal than these small targets at varying ranges.

colonel00

WKR
I also have an arrow with a judo or rubber tip for grouse and game. Now, never thought about it while rifle hunting so a slingshot isn't a bad idea. Has anyone actually done this and are you taking some fancy slingshot or just something simple?

OP
HighHunter1232

HighHunter1232

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing too fancy, I found a sling shot in the garage that I forgot I bought. its lightweight and actually pretty sturdy. I flung a few rocks around the back yard and was fairly accurate. Heck, I think it would be fun to take a grouse this way. Was just wondering if others had tried this. After my last backcounty hunt, I told myself I was going to really cut the weight of pack down before this season. I then came up with this slingshot idea and kicked around the idea of bringing a small plastic gold pan...as you can see my pack is not getting any lighter! its a work in progress...

While bow hunting, I also carry a blunt/judo point for grouse. I'll be taking a rifle on my upcoming backcountry deer hunt.

OP
HighHunter1232

HighHunter1232

Lil-Rokslider

Idaho elk hunt, judo point grouse. Never noticed the red eyelids on another grouse before...I remember thinking that I hope its not some fancy endangered breed of grouse!

keep

Lil-Rokslider

Idaho elk hunt, judo point grouse. Never noticed the red eyelids on another grouse before...I remember thinking that I hope its not some fancy endangered breed of grouse!
Spruce Grouse I believe, I shot one in Quebec about 4 years ago when moose hunting and it looked just like what you have there

I have yet to bring a book, note pad or table with me. Just not my thing, I knock out tge minute my head hits the ground. Much like every one else above I carry a rubber blunt and a field tip a with a adapoint. I have always wanted to take my slingshot but I have always had wrist rockets. They are big, bulky and heavy. After going down the youtube rabbit whole I would a bunch of light weight polymer framed slingshots that use flat bands. They weigh less than a quarter pound with bands vs. a pound or more for a simple wrist rocket. The polymer slingshot are made by SimpleShot and Pocket Preditor. With practice taking a grouse, bunny or squirrel shoild be easy.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
I bring an e-ink reader with me to read at night. Battery life is way longer than I'd ever be in the field for, I can pick and choose books depending on my mood, it's lighter than a lot of paperbacks at 4.5oz, and I can load up PDF maps of my area to serve as another navigation backup (they'll be black and white, but it's a backup behind my phone, InReach, and paper maps so I don't actually expect to ever need it).

I haven't brought a slingshot, but I've used a David-and-Goliath sling for jackrabbits and cottontails before. Probably a little lighter and easier to pack, but much harder to get the hang of. Handful of gravel works for chunky jackrabbits, I assume it'd work for grouse (as long as it's a legal method of take in your area).

wildcat33

WKR
Its pretty hard to kill a grouse with a slingshot. You'd have to get a direct hit to the head. Body shots do nothing, or just injure it. In my experience.

rayporter

WKR
i have took one once and did not see any grouse. single 0 buck kills rabbits well.

i killed 11 squirrels with a sling shot in a famous park, when i was young.