Slippery ground sheet and sleeping pad

renagde

WKR
Took my new sleep system on a test ride this weekend. I'm using a tyvek ground sheet, Thermarest xtherm, and a Moutain Hardware bag. I get everything setup and my ground sheet slides one way, sleeping pad another and my bag another. I was all over the place all night long. What's the best way to keep everything together?

snowplow

WKR
It seems like lm always on at least a bit of a slope so l put my pack next to me with tyvek up and kinda onto the side. Then when l inevitably slide me and my pad just lay next to my pack just right.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
I do as @snowplow does and orient my gear downhill. When I have a bivy with me - even if I'm not using it for shelter - I use it as a bedroll to keep everything tidy.

Lawnboi

WKR
Put a couple strips of silicone, same stuff used for sealing tents, on your pad.

Another fix, and what I personally do, is run a UL bivy.
6 oz, keeps my stuff together and offers more protection than just a ground sheet

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Put a couple strips of silicone, same stuff used for sealing tents, on your pad.

6 oz, keeps my stuff together and offers more protection than just a ground sheet

I think I might try the seam sealer trick. Seems to be a lot of backpackers using that method. I might have to look into a UL bivy, my tyvek sheet weighs over 3 oz so the weight difference between the two isn't very much. What brand are you running?

Lawnboi

WKR
I think I might try the seam sealer trick. Seems to be a lot of backpackers using that method. I might have to look into a UL bivy, my tyvek sheet weighs over 3 oz so the weight difference between the two isn't very much. What brand are you running?

Currently have a Borah, and don’t at all care for the hood too much, though only a few times Iv had to use the hood. I’d like to get a MLD next but can’t justify it as the Borah works fine.

Lots of positives with a breathable UL bivy IMO.

Good call on the silicone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
I did horizontal bars of silicone on the xtherm (matched the baffles) and vertical bars of silicone on the tyvek. Also keeping my pack at my feet and orienting my head uphill limits how far down you’ll slide off your pad.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
I did horizontal bars of silicone on the xtherm (matched the baffles) and vertical bars of silicone on the tyvek. Also keeping my pack at my feet and orienting my head uphill limits how far down you’ll slide off your pad.

I think I'm going to give this a try. Any problems with dirt building up on the silicone?

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing to try is to reduce the amount of air in the pad--it is easier to stay on it that way for me.

Jbehredt

WKR
I think I'm going to give this a try. Any problems with dirt building up on the silicone?

None on the pad. Rinses clean like the rest of it. Tyvek gets a little grungy either way. Not any more grungy on the silicone. I used silnet reduced just a little more than I would on a shelter. Read some reports about adhesion and figures the thinner viscosity might help with that. Couldn’t peel even a small edge off if I tried.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
None on the pad. Rinses clean like the rest of it. Tyvek gets a little grungy either way. Not any more grungy on the silicone. I used silnet reduced just a little more than I would on a shelter. Read some reports about adhesion and figures the thinner viscosity might help with that. Couldn’t peel even a small edge off if I tried.

Cool thanks, I'm going to give this a try.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah if you do the silicone dilute it, the full strength stuff peals off.

Silnet should work but i diluted it really thin and its stayed on for 5 yrs plus, works great. IME, You dont need to go crazy, just a stripe every 6” or so

rob86jeep

WKR
I use a Borah bivy. Holds everything together when I'm sleeping and I can zip it up/seal it during the day to make sure nothing crawls into my bag when I'm away from camp.

Brendan

WKR
Similar to some above - Get rid of the ground sheet, use a bug bivvy. I think mine is a Borah. Retains no moisture, keeps everything together and keeps bag / pad off the ground. I never close the hood either.. Works well for me because I tend to move around in my sleep.

I also have a Katabatic Bristlecone for when I want a little extra insulation / protection.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Similar to some above - Get rid of the ground sheet, use a bug bivvy. I think mine is a Borah. Retains no moisture, keeps everything together and keeps bag / pad off the ground. I never close the hood either.. Works well for me because I tend to move around in my sleep.

I also have a Katabatic Bristlecone for when I want a little extra insulation / protection.

So you're using a UL bivy underneath your floorless shelter, correct?

ridgefire

WKR
I tried the tyvek and didn't like it for the reasons mentioned. I now use a Ti Goat Raven Omni Bivy and much happier with it. Really works good for containing everything and zip it up in the morning and good to go. The mesh head cover is really nice when there is bugs out too.