SLJ dri down sleeping bag

WyoKid

WKR
BLUF - IMHO the best bag for the money and just as good as the bags costing much more.

2 weeks in Alaska range spike camping for Dall sheep and moose under tarp shelter. New slumberjack dridown 20 degree bag was warm in windy and drizzle rain. Fabric shedded water and any dampness dried fast when allowed to hang over Willow bush for an hour. I had a bivy bag but did not use it - one night the bottom of my bag extended past the tarp shelter as we were on an incline and I slid down during the night and the wind blew rain under the tarp - the bag got wet but did not absorb water and it stayed warm and dry. Laid it out in the morning for an hour while eating breakfast and packing and it was completely dry.

It compresses into small package and cannot beat the value for the quality. Several nights of freezing temps - wearing base layer and wool cap was perfect and my feet never got cold. Many nights I had to open top and bottom zipper as it I got too warm. I like the simple design - no neck collar but semi mummy and hood has draw strings. It is very roomy and allows for slide sleeping and stork position of the legs. I almost got the zero degree bag but glad I went with 20 degree - saved in weight and was plenty warm. I slept in my base layer with a cap covering my ears and no socks - allowing my socks to dry and my feet did not get cold.

Used Paria insulated UL sleeping pad, which worked well and was durable. Did not use a ground cloth but did take the time to clear sharp rocks and branches, and laid my shell jacket underneath just in case. It does take some time to blow up and wish I had gotten the Big Agnes's multipurysack/mattress inflator.

Here is a link to my other observations during the hunt: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/dall-sheep-hunt-hotwash.142584/

Just curious, are you a warm or cold sleeper? I currently have a 20 degree and I'm always cold in it. My hunting partner is always hot in his 20 degree bag (different brand than mine). I like the weight savings on the 20 but think I need to try a different bag

OP
WyoKid

WyoKid

WKR
Definitely a warm sleeper. One way to boost the rating, which I some times do, is to make sure you put on fresh wool socks, wear your base layers and a hat. I will also drape may puffy jacket on top. Other than fresh socks, I normally sleep in my base layers anyway. With temps below 10 I go the extra step of throwing my puffy on top. Also, be sure to use an insulated sleeping pad - I use a para xl, which is 4 inches thick - it has made a huge difference as it is the ground that will suck your body heat.