Slow start to CA general season A-zone?

I heard zero gunshots all opening weekend. I know there were at least 6 other hunters in the general area I was in. I heard from a friend hunting a very busy area (last year I was there, heard dozens of shots) that he also heard no shots all weekend.

I did see a few bucks, but seemed like they were in much thicker cover than last weekend of archery two weeks ago (which did happen to be unseasonably cool where I was).

Curious what other people's experiences were?

JNDEER

WKR
Hunted northern A.

Probably 1/2 the amount of hunters I seen last year, but there was 10x more shooting. LOL. Seemed it took about 4-6 shots per hunter to finally hit something.

Azone

WKR
I got to hunt on private that has size restrictions for the first day and a half and didn’t come across anything big enough to shoot. Nonetheless it was a completely bitchin good time with some great friends.
Then the wife and I headed to a spot on public and passed up a little guy that was hanging out with a bunch does. We also saw a monster black bear in the same place, this being a place that they’re not known to frequent very often.
Heard of a few good bucks taken on private, and got to see a picture of a nice buck taken opening morning on public land.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
I heard zero gunshots all opening weekend. I know there were at least 6 other hunters in the general area I was in. I heard from a friend hunting a very busy area (last year I was there, heard dozens of shots) that he also heard no shots all weekend.

I did see a few bucks, but seemed like they were in much thicker cover than last weekend of archery two weeks ago (which did happen to be unseasonably cool where I was).

Curious what other people's experiences were?
Everyone died of heat exhaustion/exposure

Totoro

WKR
I was out toward MNF on opening day.

Sounded like firecrackers going off everywhere.

Went out on a glassing point early AM and watched 2 groups of hunters shoot up a hill side at a forky.

11 shots total before the forky hit the ground.

I left that afternoon.