Slowing the game down

Wiscobob

FNG
How do you guys that archery elk hunt solo slow the game down when you’ve got a bull coming in hot to calling? I’ve only had a couple opportunities in my years of elk hunting, but it always feels like I’m in a mad dash to get myself ready.

Before you start calling get everything ready, you should have arrow knocked, release on, yardages measured, of they’re coming in there’s not much to do to get them to slow down. You could try throwing a rock away from you sometimes that will stop them cause they will be looking for an elk over where it lands, but you also risk being seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Wiscobob

Wiscobob

FNG
Before you start calling get everything ready, you should have arrow knocked, release on, yardages measured, of they’re coming in there’s not much to do to get them to slow down. You could try throwing a rock away from you sometimes that will stop them cause they will be looking for an elk over where it lands, but you also risk being seen.

Seems like it’s always a situation where I’m either caught off guard (they blow up on a location bugle/coming charging in to a cow call) or I am still trying to get a read on where they are going to go/where I need to get to. Most of these situations the bull has been 3-400 yards out. They just move so fast when they commit.

For the love of God, he's coming in, do not slow things down. You should be ready before anyway. If he gets within range and you're not drawn your only option is to freeze and wait for an opportunity to draw. You can always go after him if he loses interest and moves off. It's going to be harder if he busts you and hauls ass.

fatlander

WKR
3-400 yards is a long ways. If you’re consistently calling bulls in from that distance, you’ll probably find it too easy if you wait until you’re within 100 yards to start calling.

Happening fast is the name of the game. But it has already been mentioned, the longer you’re in the red zone without sealing the deal, the more likely the wind is going to get you.

Scoot

WKR
Totally agree with above- don't slow things down! That's part of the fun of it! Get ready before you call and be able to be ready faster (e.g., don't have your release in your pocket).

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I believe it starts this time of year with time training with your gear on practicing drawing and holding for different periods of time. visualizing the bull materializing and making the shot. Being mentally prepared will slow things down as much as they can be when a bull comes in screaming.

Jethro

WKR
Agree as well. Don't slow it down. A bull that fully commits and charges in is what dreams are made of. 300-400 yards in archery is huge. Should allow you to be ready. Whenever possible I do try to advance at least a little bit from the last place I called from. Hoping the bull will be focused on where he heard the call.

Good points on the wind too. On those swirling days, if it doesn't happen fast, it probably aint happening.

Scrappy

WKR
My biggest mistake was not practicing with all my gear on to insure everything was ready at the moment of truth. I couldn't get my range finder out cause the tether was hung on the little clip that hold the lid closed on the pouch. The bull stopped and started laughing at me.

Agree with the above statements, don't try to slow things just be 100% wired.

Only three ways I know of to slow things down:
- be prepared ahead of time (I know, not always possible)
- experience. everything moves slower the more time you spend with the animals.
- "dear sweet baby Jesus, Jewish God, and Tom Cruise, make this elk stop and not see me draw, amen"

In reality the situation you described is super common and I don't think there is much you can do if you didn't have a chance to really prepare.

My biggest mistake was not practicing with all my gear on to insure everything was ready at the moment of truth. I couldn't get my range finder out cause the tether was hung on the little clip that hold the lid closed on the pouch. The bull stopped and started laughing at me.

Agree with the above statements, don't try to slow things just be 100% wired.
Yes! Practicing with gear on makes a world of difference. I think about the things I'll need available during the encounter: call, range finder, bow, arrow, release, and wind detector. I may not use them all or have time, but I want them all in a place I can access quietly and easily without thinking about it.

When I was in the Army we were all required to pack our bags exactly the same. That way if they got mixed up we could all grab clean socks from the same pocket without even thinking about it. That's how I try to set up my hunting gear so I don't have to think about where something is, and all of the things I regularly need are accessible.

OP
Wiscobob

Wiscobob

FNG
I should probably elaborate on my original post. I know you should get ready, but I’m always caught in a bad position. Admittedly probably my fault for not being ready, but as someone mentioned above I’ve always heard try to get within 100-200 yards. When I make a call and the bull is 3-400 yards out I’m still trying to get a feel for the bulls attitude and what my next play is. Trying to get a little closer from my last calling spot or finding better concealment. Maybe bad luck with how fast things went on the last couple bulls, or maybe just a lack of preparation on my part. Do you guys knock an arrow every time you call? Do you make sure you have cover from each place you call from? I know there’s a lot of elk hunters in here with more experience and knowledge than I have and want to hear how others set up especially when they are doing it solo and what they do to find success. I appreciate all the feedback! Good luck to all this fall!

Gerbdog

WKR
I should probably elaborate on my original post. I know you should get ready, but I’m always caught in a bad position. Admittedly probably my fault for not being ready, but as someone mentioned above I’ve always heard try to get within 100-200 yards. When I make a call and the bull is 3-400 yards out I’m still trying to get a feel for the bulls attitude and what my next play is. Trying to get a little closer from my last calling spot or finding better concealment. Maybe bad luck with how fast things went on the last couple bulls, or maybe just a lack of preparation on my part. Do you guys knock an arrow every time you call? Do you make sure you have cover from each place you call from? I know there’s a lot of elk hunters in here with more experience and knowledge than I have and want to hear how others set up especially when they are doing it solo and what they do to find success. I appreciate all the feedback! Good luck to all this fall!
Wisdom says yes, knock that arrow before you call, because you never know where that bull will be coming from and how close he is. Experience says i dont do that.... and it will absolutely bite me/you in the butt. Really the effort to knock an arrow is dang near nothing and i should just do it but.... sure enough i just rip off the location bugle and then get all flustered when something bugles back much closer then expected.

With any type of hunting I do I prefer to have the encounter happen quick enough I don't have time to think about it. Just have the muscle memory take over and make it happen.

One thing about elk with a bow. Shit happens fast when it happens it seems. But to answer the OP, there are situations in which we must slow it down a tad at times for sure! Others have mentioned wind swirling. If i know or suspect i know where elk are bedded and winds are swirling, i simply keep my distance and wait for the evening hunt. Im not leaving elk to find elk. So i may take several naps and keep tabs with some occasional very loud cow calls and listen for that "lazy bugle" or "bedded bull bugle". You'll know when they get up to start feeding and getting active if you are keeping tabs on the herd. Then its go time! So i've went from taking it slow all day to getting somewhat aggresive now either by calling/raking and moving, stalkIng or any number of things. There just never seems to be a one size fits all tactic from 1 day to the next, or one encounter to the next. They all vary.

If i am still hunting through what i suspect to be bedding areas in mid morning or day, or anytime really while moving from 1 area to another, i better be going slow. And glassing ahead as i go looking for a piece of an elk or any kind of movement, an ear twitch, an antler to move, anything. If i just go beebopping thru i am likely to jump something up and wont get the opporrunity.

Elk have better eyesight than some give them credit for. If they are already on high alert because of pressure, it doesnt take much to send them into the next unit or onto private. So being slow and methodical can pay huge dividends for sure.

We all like the action fast and furious, but there are times to slow down. And there can be long periods of inactivity where everything seems to be slow. Don't let these long periods lull you to sleep. It can be challenging to stay sharp and focused without letting our guards down. This is when we blow opportunities. It all comes back to "reading the situation or encounter" or what is or what is not happening in the elkwoods to do what needs done when the "Moment of Truth" is at hand to be succesful.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
If you take just a couple minutes prior to calling, a lot of these things will not be an issue. Like mentioned before, get your ranges ahead of time. Check your gear to make sure stuff isn't caught up. Practice your drawing movement to ensure you aren't putting your back elbow into a a bush, tree or whatever. Clear the ground of sticks.

I will also sometimes preplan a move in case I want to relocate to another spot. I do this with turkeys, predators and elk. Sometimes a shift of 20 yards (or just a couple) is needed to make the opportunity

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
Wiscobob

Wiscobob

FNG
Thanks for the tips and feedback guys. I need to do a better job of being mentally prepared and taking some extra steps to be ready for the shot. It’s easy to get caught up in the situation. The more I reflect on the situations from last season the more I realize I could have taken a little more time before letting out a call and it probably would have changed the outcome.

Fmarji

FNG
Thanks for the tips and feedback guys. I need to do a better job of being mentally prepared and taking some extra steps to be ready for the shot. It’s easy to get caught up in the situation. The more I reflect on the situations from last season the more I realize I could have taken a little more time before letting out a call and it probably would have changed the outcome.
You will always look back and wonder what you could of done differently but sometimes that’s just how things go! I feel like if I never had struggles and “failures”, I am missing out. Definitely part of my learning curve. Hopefully this is your season! 🤙🏼🤙🏼