Slug Barrel for Turkey Shot

Any thoughts on using a smooth bore slug barrel 12 ga. for shooting turkey shot. No not shooting a slug, just had to say that. Would that turkey load pattern well, anyone tried this? Thanks

I cant see how a turkey load would pattern well out of that barrel. Typically slug barrels have less constriction, which doesnt lend itself to good patterns at longer range.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
Turkey loads are typically shot with an extra full choke which is as tight as you can get. A straight bore "cylinder choke" would be at the other extreme of the choke spectrum as loose as you can get. Pattern density would be too thin to ensure a high probability of a killing shot. The large thin pattern would make wounding rate very high.

Fatcamp

WKR
Only way to know is to pattern the gun and load combination. Anything else is just a guess.

I have had some surprising patterns out of IC chokes.

OP
Olsolitaire1
I do know about the different chokes and how they are intended to pattern. I was looking to see if anyone out there has actually shot patterns with one, looks like no one has. I was thinking right a long with Fatcamp, that I will just have to do the test for myself.

Why I asked is that I have my older model SKB pump with interchangeable barrels. The slug barrel is smooth bored, short and improved cylinder. Thought it might be good for that close range work?

back ground is that I have hunted with a traditional 20 ga. smooth bore flintlock trade gun with 30" barrel modified choke. Taken its fair share of game birds, turkey included, and deer. I just was wanting to try something different. Thanks

Last edited:
Often steel shot can be "over" choked, a modified would throw a pattern like a full choke with steel. But I cant imagine a cylinder bore would throw a very tight pattern at all. Maybe 15-20 yard kill range.

Fatcamp

WKR
Buy some Hevishot Magnum Blend and Federal 3rd Degree and find out.

When I was obsessed with patterning I got my paper from our local weekly newspaper. They had rolls of cutoffs for $5. Might be worth a look.

I patterned everything. Some surprising stuff out there. I agree steel can be overchoked, especially lower velocity stuff that loses steam quickly. Goes everywhere.

Hevi-steel #2 3" through a .675 choke were pure death on snow geese. I don't like to talk distances but the pattern board showed their potential, and the field proved ability.

BBO

FNG
The pictured pattern is 2.75" Federal Flite Control buckshot from an 8" barrel at 15 yards. If I was looking to hunt turkey with a fixed choke I'd have to pattern some Federal Premium with Flite Control.

Attachments

• received_462802107564143.jpeg
    received_462802107564143.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 13

hobbes

WKR
Can you kill a turkey with an open choke?....of course. Just get them in really close. Is it going to throw the most effective pattern for head shots on turkeys?..... Absolutely not!

It's probably been stated, but if you want any sort of distance potential out of an open choke your best option is going to be TSS. Behind that your looking at Hevishot or Winchester Longboards. Commercial TSS ammo has become available in the last couple years, but still a pile of guys reloading it, myself included, although I'm relatively new at it. However, if the cost scares you ($7 plus per shell) and you want to stick with lead, you need to look at Winchester Longboard ammo. It is cast in a resin that holds the pattern together longer and in my opinion is often over-choked for close range in an attempt to shoot too far. If you are only interested in 20 yards and in, then any heavyweight load may well be sufficient, pattern the gun to see. Most folks won't stick to that though and are always trying to stretch their limits.

If you choose the TSS route, you can drop-down significantly in shot size because of the dramatic increase in Mass. Lead is 11ish g/cc, Hevishot is 12.7 g/cc, and TSS is 18ish g/cc. Typically guys are shooting #9s and smaller guage shotguns. I've been shooting 8.5s in a 2 3/4" 12 gauge. However, some states have limits (top and bottom) to shot size. These were originally developed based on lead, but are still the law regardless. So if it says no smaller than 7.5, then you can't legally shoot 9s or 8.5s.

Look at ballistic data on TSS and the patterns it throws and you can see why it's devastating to a turkeys head at distances beyond what I believe to be turkey hunting. The best info that you can find on TSS is on the forums at gobblernation.con or the Tungsten Super Shot forum.

Last edited: