Slug gun for whitetails

Djacker

WKR
Hey guys

I got my wife into deer hunting last year. We currently hunt in a short range weapon area, (muzzleloader, handgun, shotgun). She used my t/c muzzleloader last year, our max range at this location is 120 yards. Does anyone know of any slug guns that shoot GOOD to 100-125 yards. I'm not talking a pie plate size at 100 yards. She shoots the muzzleloader really well, it's just hard for her to load by herself if she needs a follow up shot. Thanks in advance

For me when i was so restricted, the Savage 220f was the hands best for the money-by far. Light, accurate and has a good trigger. No recoil either which would be great for your wife im sure. Pick up some boxes of remington accutips and youre good to go. I think most canteliever mount slug barrels will give you the accuracy you need as well if you find the right shell combo. The 220 was just a little more accurate than my others ever were at 200yds.
Ymmv

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
3X on the Savage 220!! Remington 3" Accutips. I shot 2 bucks last yr @ 145 yds with that gun. My only complaint with it is getting another round on the chamber. You really have to work it!!

Yes, savage 220 and get some of the Hornady lite loads, mine loves them. The bolt and action are rough at first, I worked mine many times and even used a little valve lapping compound to get it smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Savage 220 with the Leupold Ultimate Slam scope is a killer ticket. I was consistently ringing the 10” steel at 200 yards with federal copper sabots.

Savage has this market cornered. Especially with the 20 ga range vs recoil. This will be your beat bet.

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
Savage 220. My wife is 5ft2 and tiny. I put a Boyd’s adjustable stock on it with a Nikon slug scope and she shoots it really well out to 200 yards. The slugs are expensive but it works great for her.

3X on the Savage 220!! Remington 3" Accutips. I shot 2 bucks last yr @ 145 yds with that gun. My only complaint with it is getting another round on the chamber. You really have to work it!!
Mine cycled fine as long as i only put one in the mag. If i put two, the bottom round would jump forward (after firing the one in the chamber) enough every time to get its rim in front of the top. Locked the gun up every time. Weak mag spring i imagine.

Just a quick note on the 870 suggestion, I “built” my slug gun just before savage bolt guns became popular.

Bought an 870 express 12 gauge and put some magpul furniture that allowed me to raise the comb height. I put a cantelver barrel on it and a slug gun 3x9. The trigger was so bad I couldn’t get a decent group so I swapped that out for something with a light pull. I am talking variable weight between 10 and 14 pounds and gritty as a sand dune. While I was at it I did the follower swap too.

It shoots those Remington accubonds pretty well. I would say it is acceptably accurate to 150-200 yards using the BDC.

To get decent accuracy you have to use a cantilever barrel or pin the barrel to the receiver which makes cleaning a pain in the ass. So, I thought I would end up with a multipurpose gun with the cantilever but having to swap out the comb makes it fairly impractical to use it with the regular barrel without a bit more wrench time than you would like. 3” 12s also kick pretty good and the scope can bite you if you aren’t careful.

By the time I was done tinkering, I probably had over $800 in the gun not including glass. I basically have a mediocre slug gun that isn’t really good for much else. If I were doing it again, I would go with the savage bolt gun in 20 gauge. Done and dusted for less than $600 with likely better accuracy and function and much less pain in the ass.

I have an H&R single shot 20 gauge. Put a nikon scope on it. It shoots tight groups well beyond 100 yards with good ammo.

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I like the savage 220. The H&R’s are good too but getting harder to find at a reasonable price, they’re pretty heavy also.