Slug hunters: Savage 212, more accurate than some of my rifles

RMP

FNG
I live in eastern Virginia and the areas I hunt most frequently are shotgun only. A little farther west, and riles are allowed. But nearer my home its a shotgun-only affair.

I sometimes hunt with smooth bores and foster slugs, which can actually be very accurate. They're killers, too.. But its usually my Ithaca Model 37 with a 24" rifled barrel and fiber optic sights. The slugs I've been using have been Federal Premiums with the BRI-type hourglass shaped slug. The Ithaca would print 4" croups at 100 yards, which I don't think was too bad considering it had open sights and the front fiber optic nearly covered the target at 100 yards.

So now I'm down to my last couple of boxes of Federal and I've not been able to buy more anytime recently. I'm on every "notify me" list I can think of and I never get any notices for Federal sabot slugs. What has been regularly available is Hornady SST slugs. They have a .50 300 grain FTX bullet in a muzzle-loader-type sabot. Those slug step out at 2000 fps. So I accumulated a bunch of boxes before taking them out and shooting them in my Ithaca. When I did, the disappointment is hard to understate. I was getting 4" groups at 24 yards, and 12" groups at 100. The sabots were disconnecting erratically, sometime flying through the target at 25 yards. Other times hitting the ground a few yards in front of the muzzle. So now I was down to a couple of boxes of reliable Federals, and whole bunch of boxes of Hornadys.

Not for this reason, but rather because I've been wanting a bolt slug gun since I foolishly sold a Marlin 15 Slugmaster years ago, I bought a Savage 212 slug gun. I put an inexpensive Bushnell Prime 1-4X32 on it in Warne QD rings. I bought it based on reviews and recommendation, never actually having handled one. I am thoroughly impressed.

PClDPSw.jpg

The stock has an aluminum chassis.
6lbEyTW.jpg

The rear of the action has aluminum and has a steel pillar.
0Zvn20u.jpg

I figured the bottom metal would be aluminum. It's not. It's all steel. Trigger guard, too.

All in all it seems every well put together.

I took it to the range yesterday to see what it would do with these atrocious Hornady slugs.

eZbsvSN.jpg

It only took minor adjustment to get the slugs pretty much shooting through one hole at 25 yards. It took me a few more to walk it around at 100 yards (right) to get to where I wanted it. Last shot before final adjustment is on the left target, the on the upper right. Then down 2 and over 1.5 and that's where it printed consistently for the rest of the day.

i8o9dnd.jpg

So it's consistently shooting a sub 2" group (pretty danged close to 1") at 100 yards.

5finM1L.jpg

Gotta a say, I never expected this from a shotgun. I've got scoped centerfire rifles that can't do this.

The only issue is that Hornady SST slugs don't cycle worth a damned in this gun. They shoot great. But don't cycle well. It's hard to tell from this pic, but several of these shell are out of round and it makes them hard to chamber. They'll go in, but you have to man handle them. I've cycled Federal and Remington shell through this gun and they cycle flawlessly. But these Hornadys are rough on the outside. But there's no denying they shoot like a charm once they're chambered.

GDD66f9.jpg

The Savage, scope, rings and two extra magazines came in at way under $1,000. It's a keeper.

Last edited:

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had one for about 8 years and agree with the above. I bowhunt 99% of the time, but otherwise this is my go to.
I also had the cycling issue and replacement magazines were sent multiple times and they all had the same issue. In the end I put a thin plastic spacer inside the front or back (can’t remember, will check and put up a photo when I get home) of the magazine and it has worked a charm.

Gorp2007

WKR
I’ve got a 220 since the area I hunt here in Texas is shotgun only and I’m likewise very impressed. It almost feels like cheating and it really loves the Hornady stuff.

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
In the front. Orange piece. It’s a fine line, got to be high enough to not slip underneath and low enough to let the shell pass. This stopped 95% of my jams. I reckon it could be improved on also by bellowing out the centre or by using slightly thicker material (2 spacers together were too thick), but I was happy enough to stop tinkering about 8 years ago. Love this gun. Red dot sight, surprisingly accurate and whatever you point it at is dead.
CDFC4772-ECF4-47EB-983B-9780A11CD3F4.jpeg
9BBD7215-7DC1-428C-84ED-5980E95625E2.jpeg482366AC-BCCC-473F-9082-C16B307024BB.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
R

RMP

FNG
Good tip. Thanks.

Weird thing is, I've only had feeding issues with the Hornadys. Any other brand, whether 2.75 inch or 3 inch, feeds and cycles fine.

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
Good tip. Thanks.

Weird thing is, I've only had feeding issues with the Hornadys. Any other brand, whether 2.75 inch or 3 inch, feeds and cycles fine.
Me too. I haven’t put any other slugs through it, but at the time I cycle dozens of birdshot in and out with zero jams and surmised that the front of the shell was pitching down on the cycle with the sabots causing it to jam. The spacer just prevents that somewhat.

I got the 220 last year for illinois. Love it. I was shooting a smooth bore 12 ga for 25 years. I had no idea what I was missing. I had ejection issues at first. But I just cycled it hard a bunch and put a drop of oil on it. All better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk