Slumberjack SJK Outpost 4 Tipi

sneaky

"DADDY"
Looks like by cutting your own center pole you can knock off 3/4 of a pound, and shave a little more weight using some better stakes. Redcliff probably has more useable space but for the $100 or so you can get the Outpost 4 for, it better. It's 7 times more expensive not counting seam sealing. There's always a tradeoff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jljordan41

Lil-Rokslider
Got mine last week. Ordered a diy luxe stove jack and stove yesterday for it. I was back and forth between the 4 person tipi and the Redcliffe from SO for a year until I saw this pop up... Absolutely crazy deal for what it is. Couldn’t be more excited to get out with it. Everything I’ve purchased from Sumberjack has been top quality. I own their In-Season 2, a tarp, a sleeping bag and a pack. More people need to start taking advantage of their good quality products that are usually half the price for the same thing elsewhere!

Does your picture of the shelter in it's stuff sack have the collapsible pole in it as well?

Got a stove jack sewn in for mine. Will be testing it on an AK moose hunt in a few weeks and two mule deer hunts in October. We’ll see how she fares, but I’m digging it, especially for the price.

Attachments

• F9D218F7-7198-451D-8E13-6B3FF687622E.jpeg
    F9D218F7-7198-451D-8E13-6B3FF687622E.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 289
  • 024B6A7C-5700-414F-B702-4B8850134910.jpeg
    024B6A7C-5700-414F-B702-4B8850134910.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 290

sneaky

"DADDY"
Got a stove jack sewn in for mine. Will be testing it on an AK moose hunt in a few weeks and two mule deer hunts in October. We’ll see how she fares, but I’m digging it, especially for the price.
Which jack did you get? BearPaw? Lite Outdoors? Luxe? Looks like a pretty tall stove pipe. I'd be careful in high winds.

Which jack did you get? BearPaw? Lite Outdoors? Luxe? Looks like a pretty tall stove pipe. I'd be careful in high winds.

It’s the Luxe kit. The person I took it to to sew it on put it on slightly crooked, but it doesn’t effect its use. Probably seemed straight when it was not set up, but when pitched it appears off center a bit.
I was wondering if the pipe was too long. Bought it used off the classifieds. I have no experience using a backpack stove. This is my first attempt.
I could cut the pipe length down if that’s advised, or maybe make a few cables to stake down the pipe? I’m all ears for advice. I was thinking the longer pipe would help with embers potentially raining down, but I also have a Lite Outdoors spark arrestor I will use when burning.

So cut the pipe or keep it long and make some metal wire guy lines? If I cut the pipe, what’s a standard length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

IdahoHntr

WKR
Used the Outpost 4 tipi for the first time this past weekend for the Utah opener. No weather (Will get that test at some point), but some decent winds at times, and it was nothing but solid. More room than two guys could ask for. 3 wouldn't even be too crowded. Seams are taped so I don't have to seal them. Comes with the pole and light backpacking stakes. Weighed in under advertised weight. There really wasn't anything not to like about it. It is a solid tent for any price, let alone the $120 I paid for it. Mine doesn't have a stove jack in it yet, but will end up with one at some point. You have to spend 3x the money (or more) to find a setup that is as solid as this one is in my opinion.

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
Mine finally showed up today. I’m really happy with how it looks for the money. It will probably take a couple times of setting it up until I get the pitch figured out since it’s my first time using a tipi. But all in all it seems pretty nice. The dog was less than enthused about it though. 03440A68-A6AF-4269-AF8C-1438BFFDC921.jpeg

Fitzwho

WKR
Anybody thought about adding (having someone add) some additional length to the Outpost? I'm thinking about picking one up and having a local shop add a 20-28" skirt to make it taller (either continue the angle or just straight down to add height). Obviously I'm not thinking about this as a backpacking tent, more a way to get into a basecamp sized tipi with headroom for cots, or something to be shared between 2-3 guys.

Going straight down you would end up with a 13' x 13' shelter similar to the look of the Cabela's outback lodge 8 person (12x12; 30lbs) but would weigh closer to 5lbs by my math (stove jack, longer center pole, 16 - 9" carbon stakes; no ground tarp).

Continuing the angle, you would end up with a footprint around 16' x 16' square, with essentially the same weight as above, maybe a couple extra ounces of fabric.

Once you add up purchasing the Outpost itself ($115), additional fabric ($75 or so), sewing charges ($$), stove jack ($30), a new center pole ($60-150) and carbon fiber stakes ($60), I'm thinking you'd be in it around $400-$500. Not cheap, but roughly half price of SO and just not a Luxe. Unless someone with a Luxe Megahorn XL wants to sell me theirs.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anybody thought about adding (having someone add) some additional length to the Outpost? I'm thinking about picking one up and having a local shop add a 20-28" skirt to make it taller (either continue the angle or just straight down to add height). Obviously I'm not thinking about this as a backpacking tent, more a way to get into a basecamp sized tipi with headroom for cots, or something to be shared between 2-3 guys.

Going straight down you would end up with a 13' x 13' shelter similar to the look of the Cabela's outback lodge 8 person (12x12; 30lbs) but would weigh closer to 5lbs by my math (stove jack, longer center pole, 16 - 9" carbon stakes; no ground tarp).

Continuing the angle, you would end up with a footprint around 16' x 16' square, with essentially the same weight as above, maybe a couple extra ounces of fabric.

Once you add up purchasing the Outpost itself ($115), additional fabric ($75 or so), sewing charges ($$), stove jack ($30), a new center pole ($60-150) and carbon fiber stakes ($60), I'm thinking you'd be in it around $400-$500. Not cheap, but roughly half price of SO and just not a Luxe. Unless someone with a Luxe Megahorn XL wants to sell me theirs.
Just buy your own material and sew your own shelter instead of trying to add on to an already finished shelter. Would be cheaper and you get exactly what you want.

Dom C

FNG
Got mine a week ago. For the price tag I like it. Nothing I would consider ultralight, but it is a solid budget option. Rigged up a satellite tarp for an awning. Sub $200 shelter for tipi with tarp.

Attachments

• C286A4BC-72CC-4164-B8A4-9B697DE442B0.jpeg
    C286A4BC-72CC-4164-B8A4-9B697DE442B0.jpeg
    410.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 1568322B-0D20-4394-9713-82B99CCF4C2A.jpeg
    1568322B-0D20-4394-9713-82B99CCF4C2A.jpeg
    545.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 01D3294C-8B5A-4C69-86C6-31C3B39285F7.jpeg
    01D3294C-8B5A-4C69-86C6-31C3B39285F7.jpeg
    563.9 KB · Views: 175

Voyageur

WKR
I'm really hoping those of you that use these this fall will report back with reviews on durability, workability, etc...

I'm really hoping those of you that use these this fall will report back with reviews on durability, workability, etc...

Well, I took mine to Alaska and used it one night. Killed a 70” bull the first day so I only had a chance to use it one night. I didn’t have any issues with it and the Lite Outdoors stove worked great as well. Planning on using it more extensively on two upcoming mule deer hunts this October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoHntr

WKR
I've had it out for 4-5 nights all together and have nothing but good things to say. No real weather challenges yet though. I will say that I see no reason why this would not be a durable shelter. Looks and feels nicer than tents I've had personal experience with that cost much more money. A lot of products you can feel and see the quality right from the beginning, and by all means this product looks and feels like quality. I plan on running it through its paces as the later seasons come and I will report back after it experiences some October weather.

Edit to add that I can set it up in just a few minutes at this point. The linelocs and everything about the tent are super easy to use. At this point durability and weatherproof are all that is any sort of question for me.

Voyageur

WKR
Tagged. I'm inches away from pulling the trigger on another option. I'll be interested to see how this compares spec wise.
Old post I realize, but curious as to what your other option was?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Voyageur

WKR
I keep rereading this thread and each time I become more and more intrigued by the SJK. If I went this route what would my best options be for a DIY stove jack? Best options for a stove?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I keep rereading this thread and each time I become more and more intrigued by the SJK. If I went this route what would my best options be for a DIY stove jack? Best options for a stove?
DIY stove jacks can be purchased from Bearpaw Wilderness Designs, or Liteoutdoors. You can also make your own out of silicone matting like baking mats,or fiberglass matting. Depends on how DIY you want to be

Voyageur

WKR
If a person were to buy the SKJ and have the stove jack installed is there someone on this site who is able to do that professionally?
Also, how far above the peak should the pipe project?
Thanks.

sneaky

"DADDY"
To get one done you can send it off to Bear Paw Wilderness Designs. Pods8 on here could do it, but the lead time on an in season install might take a bit.

Voyageur

WKR
To get one done you can send it off to Bear Paw Wilderness Designs. Pods8 on here could do it, but the lead time on an in season install might take a bit.

Thanks. I have a meat bag Pods8 sewed for me earlier this year and he does good work.