Slumberjack SJK Outpost 4 Tipi

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
Got my Lite Outdoors stove jack sewed in today and had a chance to run the Lite Outdoors stove in my Outpost. Turned out pretty good. This setup will be going on it’s inaugural trip next week in Eastern Wyoming. I will be sure to update with how it performs in the field. E3518D96-6F4A-4A7E-9FA1-C0A55E5F9E01.jpeg9633AD92-5C5D-4026-8BC4-A30D8A4FCF5F.jpeg

Voyageur

WKR
Got my Lite Outdoors stove jack sewed in today and had a chance to run the Lite Outdoors stove in my Outpost. Turned out pretty good. This setup will be going on it’s inaugural trip next week in Eastern Wyoming. I will be sure to update with how it performs in the field.

Looking forward to the report...

bdg848

WKR
I don't know anything about tipi style shelters but it seems like there would be a lot of wind and draft coming in under the bottom. Is it supposed to be that high off the ground?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Got my Lite Outdoors stove jack sewed in today and had a chance to run the Lite Outdoors stove in my Outpost. Turned out pretty good. This setup will be going on it’s inaugural trip next week in Eastern Wyoming. I will be sure to update with how it performs in the field. View attachment 219409View attachment 219410
Looks like you may want to enlarge your stove pipe hole in that jack. With the amount of pipe you have sticking out and in high winds, that jack will move around in the wind and pull your pipe out of the stove.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't know anything about tipi style shelters but it seems like there would be a lot of wind and draft coming in under the bottom. Is it supposed to be that high off the ground?
You can adjust the height according to conditions. Tight to the ground to seal out drafts, or off the ground to get air circulation and deal with condensation.

hunt1up

WKR
I just received my SJ tipi last week. I currently own a Seek Outside 6 man and 12 man.

My initial impressions is that the SJ 4 man is functionally smaller than the 6 man SO tipi. My first though is that it would be great for two people on tall cots, one on each side of the center pole. Lower cots or no cots and I think 3 would be reasonable but snug with any gear.

The setup was extremely easy. I'd say easier than the Seek Outside products where you have to inset your first stakes to account for the pole. It's not like a Seek Outside setup is difficult but this was easier. The center pole is pretty small in diameter but once it was pitched they whole thing seemed plenty rigid.

For $150 I think it's a bargain.

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the tip. I will be cutting the pipe down some. When I ordered it I wasn’t sure how much I’d want so I got extra with the plan that I’d cut it to fit. I will be sure to open up the jack hole some as well.

Well, used the SJK tipi and LiteOutdoors xl stove for 4 days in Idaho last week. Absolutely no complaints. There were three of us in the tipi, packs were hung in a tree outside to maximize space. We had a lot of wind, but no rain or snow while camped. I have zero complaints. Stood up to wind well and the stove combo kept us nice and warm.

One issue I had was I managed to get a pinhole in the tipi from an ember. I’m a little surprised since I use a spark arrestor made by LiteOutdoors and have a long pipe. Would using a metal mesh screen at the top be a good solution? I’m not too upset, as a small piece of tenacious tape and/or aqua seal will fix the small hole, but I’d like to cure the problem before it starts being a bigger issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sometimes it's just bad luck with the wood you have to burn. You start putting arrestors on both ends and you can kill the draft of your pipe and stove.

Voyageur

WKR
Thanks for the report.
I second what sneaky said about too many spark arrestors killing the draft. I've come to the conclusion over the years that ember holes are inevitable.

Moserkr

WKR
Well, used the SJK tipi and LiteOutdoors xl stove for 4 days in Idaho last week. Absolutely no complaints. There were three of us in the tipi, packs were hung in a tree outside to maximize space. We had a lot of wind, but no rain or snow while camped. I have zero complaints. Stood up to wind well and the stove combo kept us nice and warm.

One issue I had was I managed to get a pinhole in the tipi from an ember. I’m a little surprised since I use a spark arrestor made by LiteOutdoors and have a long pipe. Would using a metal mesh screen at the top be a good solution? I’m not too upset, as a small piece of tenacious tape and/or aqua seal will fix the small hole, but I’d like to cure the problem before it starts being a bigger issue.

Never use a spark arrestor at the top!!!!! It takes high heat to keep them clean of unburned material, and when they do not burn off they clog. When they clog, your fire will fill your tent with carbon monoxide and smoke. Ask me how I know.... I almost spent my last night on the mountain alone. So... double up down low if you have to. But never run one up top!!!

Ive never burned a hole in either of my tipis, and rarely run a spark arrestor unless its dry out. I get the fire ripping hot, then turn down the damper to keep the heat in the stove and coals piping hot. Once you have a good coal bed, a fire can be maintained for hours with large pieces of wood. Flames are a sign you can turn the damper down more IF you have a very hot coal bed. I can stoke my fire 3-4 times a night that way and sleep very sound and warm.

good luck and dont run spark arrestors up top!!! That should be a pinned topic

OP
reaper

reaper

WKR
I use the seekoutside ULTRA with the standard damper put I removed the spark arrestor from the damper and put it on the top with a 3" ring from LiteOutdoors (it also help to keep the shape of the pipe),work like a charm BUT I am not using the top spark arrestor in winter.The only times I got pin holes on my shelters it was in high winds and with a rain cap...rain cap is a no go,sparks hit the cap and falls on your tent,really bad.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
reaper

reaper

WKR
Never use a spark arrestor at the top!!!!! It takes high heat to keep them clean of unburned material, and when they do not burn off they clog. When they clog, your fire will fill your tent with carbon monoxide and smoke. Ask me how I know.... I almost spent my last night on the mountain alone. So... double up down low if you have to. But never run one up top!!!

Ive never burned a hole in either of my tipis, and rarely run a spark arrestor unless its dry out. I get the fire ripping hot, then turn down the damper to keep the heat in the stove and coals piping hot. Once you have a good coal bed, a fire can be maintained for hours with large pieces of wood. Flames are a sign you can turn the damper down more IF you have a very hot coal bed. I can stoke my fire 3-4 times a night that way and sleep very sound and warm.

good luck and dont run spark arrestors up top!!! That should be a pinned topic
I have to disagree on the top spark arrestor but yeah it's true you need to know how to use a stove and good woods and know how and when using the damper and drafts controller, top arrestor works really really good for me.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Anybody thought about adding (having someone add) some additional length to the Outpost? I'm thinking about picking one up and having a local shop add a 20-28" skirt to make it taller (either continue the angle or just straight down to add height). Obviously I'm not thinking about this as a backpacking tent, more a way to get into a basecamp sized tipi with headroom for cots, or something to be shared between 2-3 guys.

Going straight down you would end up with a 13' x 13' shelter similar to the look of the Cabela's outback lodge 8 person (12x12; 30lbs) but would weigh closer to 5lbs by my math (stove jack, longer center pole, 16 - 9" carbon stakes; no ground tarp).

Continuing the angle, you would end up with a footprint around 16' x 16' square, with essentially the same weight as above, maybe a couple extra ounces of fabric.

Once you add up purchasing the Outpost itself ($115), additional fabric ($75 or so), sewing charges ($$), stove jack ($30), a new center pole ($60-150) and carbon fiber stakes ($60), I'm thinking you'd be in it around $400-$500. Not cheap, but roughly half price of SO and just not a Luxe. Unless someone with a Luxe Megahorn XL wants to sell me theirs.
Laying here in bed I also had a similar idea except I’d add loops or toggles 2-3” from the edges and sew the “wall” as a separate piece. This way, you’d be adding minimal weight to the shelter if you ever wanted to use it without the wall, and if you wanted it you could just add it on.

I’m thinking your weight estimates are a little off though. I’m guessing the wall portion - depending on if you made it 36 or 24 inches - would weigh up to 17 ounces not counting stitching, the zipper, and tie outs/toggles. Not bad for what would essentially be a 12x12 sheep herder style tent that would be backpackable. Not something I’d solo pack in, but between a guy or three it’s definitely manageable.

Usi05

WKR
This is so intriguing.

Anyone have any quick ways to cut some weight? Stakes and pole upgrade from anyone to quantify just how much?

Looks like it could be good for me and daughters

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have a contact that would be willing to sew in the stove jack on the SJK?