Slumberjack SJK Outpost 4 Tipi

Voyageur

WKR
Anyone have a contact that would be willing to sew in the stove jack on the SJK?
I believe Bear Paw Wilderness Designs does that sort of thing. I've never used their services, so can't speak to the quality of their work. Maybe others on here can.
As a side note, I was considering purchasing a SJK tipi (to save $) and having a after-market stove jack installed. After becoming bogged down in my research of the heat resistance of different shelter materials I went ahead and spent the extra for a Seek Outside shelter. Zero regrets.

OP
reaper

reaper

WKR
I believe Bear Paw Wilderness Designs does that sort of thing. I've never used their services, so can't speak to the quality of their work. Maybe others on here can.
As a side note, I was considering purchasing a SJK tipi (to save $) and having a after-market stove jack installed. After becoming bogged down in my research of the heat resistance of different shelter materials I went ahead and spent the extra for a Seek Outside shelter. Zero regrets.
What you mean by heat resistance on shelter?All of those shelters will melt if they get in contact with a stove or stove's pipe and that's good for kifaru, seekoutside,sjk and all silnylon or ultralight shelters.They all need a stove jack.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
What you mean by heat resistance on shelter?All of those shelters will melt if they get in contact with a stove or stove's pipe and that's good for kifaru, seekoutside,sjk and all silnylon or ultralight shelters.They all need a stove jack.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk
If I remember correctly it was the temperature at which the different types of fabric will melt. I don't claim to know anything about the subject, only that I gave up on my research and went with one of the more costly options.

Usi05

WKR
Picked one up today off archery talk for $80.

Going to swap out stakes for MSR’s, put in stove jack and buy or try and make a good trekking pole hitch to see what I can get weight too.

Will likely use with family and as a base camp for some of my whitetail trips over super tarp.

Will possibly use on elk hunts depending what I can get weight down too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You'll be better off just buying a dedicated carbon fiber pole for it. Trekking pole hitch will work, but you better have some good poles as it's a big shelter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Usi05

WKR
You'll be better off just buying a dedicated carbon fiber pole for it. Trekking pole hitch will work, but you better have some good poles as it's a big shelter

Gotcha. Thanks for insight!

Anyone got any other photos of their setups to share?

I just installed the Luxe-outdoors stove jack. Should be receiving my liteoutdoors stove soon. I’ll post photos and a short review once I have everything. Anyone running a nest in theirs? Changing out the stakes and center pole to something lighter can cut approximately 8oz.

Usi05

WKR
I just installed the Luxe-outdoors stove jack. Should be receiving my liteoutdoors stove soon. I’ll post photos and a short review once I have everything. Anyone running a nest in theirs? Changing out the stakes and center pole to something lighter can cut approximately 8oz.

I’m planning on a nest once I get mine all set up next week. Nest will be required to to get my girl out. Curious on this as well

I’m planning on a nest once I get mine all set up next week. Nest will be required to to get my girl out. Curious on this as well

I’ve been looking at the Luxe-outdoor nests

Fitzwho

WKR
As for cutting weight, I found the Viam Carbon Fiber Tipi Pole (6.3 ounces, 6-7ft, $75) to be the best option readily available. Haven't opted to buy it just yet, but its on the list.

Stakes, I use the Ruta Locura carbon fiber stakes. They weigh 6 grams a piece for the 6" version. That works out to about 2.5 ounces for a dozen stakes. Mix a few 9" versions in there and still probably keep it under 3 ounces. $13-15 per 4 pack.

So you could legitimately cut 12 ounces off the overall weight, it will just cost you at least what you paid for the tent itself.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you really want to cut weight, just cut a center pole when you get on site. Like has already been said, you'll double the shelter cost trying to save a half pound.

Moserkr

WKR
@Fitzwho I broke 3/10 of the carbon fiber ruta locura stakes. In my convo with the owner Josh, even he recommends a mix of stakes. For my tipi i have a 6 main robust aluminum Vs, some carbon, and some ti. The carbon break driving into hard ground and dont take a beating with a rock...

Fitzwho

WKR
@MokeBerserker - I have only damaged one of my RL stakes, but it is still useable. Otherwise I've had pretty good luck with mine. Definitely have to be a little picky about your campsite if those are the only stakes you have. I've bent more than my share of tent stakes.

Usi05

WKR
Got it today.

Canopy weighs in at 44.5 oz

Pole at 14.5oz

Stakes at 8oz.

All weighed in stuff sack. Total weight of 4.18 lbs.

Will be planning to cut my own center pole when using it but pretty happy with it after setting it up and checking it out

Ordered luxe stove jack to put in this weekend. Search for a used stove continues as my DIY isn’t meant for anything but car camping

Last edited:
Set it up in the backyard for the first burn. Dang does it get hot in the tent lol. 50 outside 102 inside. I’ll try getting out to the woods this next weekend. So far I’m very pleased!

Attachments

• 3CE3EB95-5113-4088-ADA1-A9166B4EC938.jpeg
    3CE3EB95-5113-4088-ADA1-A9166B4EC938.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 179
  • EEABFA71-1BB2-43D3-9236-20C26465D710.jpeg
    EEABFA71-1BB2-43D3-9236-20C26465D710.jpeg
    563.7 KB · Views: 181

Moserkr

WKR
Set it up in the backyard for the first burn. Dang does it get hot in the tent lol. 50 outside 102 inside. I’ll try getting out to the woods this next weekend. So far I’m very pleased!
Looks good! Except for the stove pipe being so high up. Id cut it down to just above the top of the tipi, around 5 rings that i see attached. Save weight and issues from wind.

Looks good! Except for the stove pipe being so high up. Id cut it down to just above the top of the tipi, around 5 rings that i see attached. Save weight and issues from wind.
It could be a little shorter, but I was reading you want to stove pipe 2 ft above top of tent to prevent embers burning a hole. Correct me if I’m wrong just something I saw online.

Usi05

WKR
Edit: got some help from reaper. Jacks going in tomorrow

Hey all,
Looking for a bit of help. Got my stove jack in and ready for it to be sewn in.

I want to put it in as high as possible but am curious since the higher up it goes the more seams it would overlap. My desired location would put it over the seams in two spots. Will this matter at all?

Just wanted to make sure before I drop it off to get finished. Can certainly run it lower but believe putting it higher will maximize useable space.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Edit: got some help from reaper. Jacks going in tomorrow

Hey all,
Looking for a bit of help. Got my stove jack in and ready for it to be sewn in.

I want to put it in as high as possible but am curious since the higher up it goes the more seams it would overlap. My desired location would put it over the seams in two spots. Will this matter at all?

Just wanted to make sure before I drop it off to get finished. Can certainly run it lower but believe putting it higher will maximize useable space.

Any help is appreciated.

I put my jack in a few weeks ago and was able to get it pretty close to the peak. You want to make sure you don't have it on one of the corner seams. I picked which flat side I wanted the jack on and put it up as high as I could between two corner seams and centered on the seam running down the center of the flat side. So it only only overlapped that one seam.

Does that make sense? I can take a picture tonight if that helps.