Small Diameter arrow shafts.

cmeier117

WKR
After a lot of reading and research I really like the look and performance I am hearing about from a smaller diameter hunting shaft, like the VAP arrows. What are some other arrows that are smaller diameter?

Lawnboi

WKR
I like fmj's. Axis, injection are others as well. I shot the axis for a while bit i keep coming back to the fmj with brass insert. One hard hitting, extremely wind resistant arrow.

OR Archer

WKR
im going to have to disagree with you on that point Josh. you cant bend the HIT insert like you can with the GT half out insert. Plus the HIT inserts align better with the shaft than the GT half outs.

Lawnboi

WKR
so the fmj's are small diameter like the GT Kinetics and VAP arrows?

Yes, they are the same diameter as the axis. I dont know about the kinetics. The vap is a little skinnier but also you HAVE to use outserts which i dont want to do. Last the injection is similar to the VAP, however easton came up with a new insert so you cannot use standard bh's, and the selection of BHs for easton injection arrows is pretty limited right now. I hear they are going to come out with an outsert for the injection, but then again i dont want to use an outsert.

I love the hit inserts, i have not had a single problme with them, even as far as durability, iv found that if it causes damage to the shaft with the hit, it would have most likly messed up the tip on a normal insert as well.

Me personally im going to stick with axis or fmj's until more broadhead companies adopt the new deep six insert that they use in the injection arrows. Then ill give the injections a try.

I do love my fmj's though. Alot of guys will complain that they bend, and they can, however iv found after shooting them and axis for a while now that the fmj is very durable. For every fmj iv ever bent (not many) iv broken just as many carbon arrows. So you just need to be aware they can bend if you are really rough with them.

Alot to soak in, but i love my skinny shafts. What i would suggest is to get a handful of each you want to try. Thats what i did. I got 3 of each just how i wanted them. I just keep going back to the fmj's.

dotman

WKR
I have some bemans (discontinued) that take only the hit inserts, same size as my buddies fmj's. My next arrow will be fmj's now that the injextion or whatever are out they should come down in price.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I am starting to get a better grasp of things now. For those of you that are complaining about bending any brand of arrows that have a outsert. Whether it is the GT or VAP arrows. Isn't it getting to just replace the insert piece than a whole other arrow? Or are you guys having issues with bending them under normal use like shooting them into targets and such?

I am using Easton axis arrows right now. I like them and like the hit insert. Don't like fmj because of the potential for them to get bent

BuckSnort

WKR
Am I the only dinosaur left that still shoots the old school Carbon Bear Jennings/AFC and Cabela's SST's? I never jumped on the "fat shaft" and "cross weave" bandwagon as the old school carbon AFC type of arrows shot and performed great and are more durable than any other new types of arrows any of my friends went to... Now it seems that folks are going back to the slimmer arrows...

I think I only have maybe a couple dozen or so of the 2300's left..Anyone know anywhere that still sells them and or outserts for them?

vcb

WKR
shot easton axis for the last 3-4 years. Really like the shaft, very straight and super durable. The only thing is its very small diameter and if you wanted to experiment with a heavy offset....each edge of the blazer is almost off the shaft. I switched to Carbon express kv 350 this year. ( no particular reason just wanted to try another shaft) Just a bit bigger in diameter. Can't go wrong with either...both really good quality stuff. Once you pick the right spine play with your foc until you get the flight and flight in the wind you are looking for.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
shot easton axis for the last 3-4 years. Really like the shaft, very straight and super durable. The only thing is its very small diameter and if you wanted to experiment with a heavy offset....each edge of the blazer is almost off the shaft. I switched to Carbon express kv 350 this year. ( no particular reason just wanted to try another shaft) Just a bit bigger in diameter. Can't go wrong with either...both really good quality stuff. Once you pick the right spine play with your foc until you get the flight and flight in the wind you are looking for.

I was playing around with the FOC if I were to go with the Kinetic or Axis or fmj. I don't like how the 300 spine on the fmj weight so much per inch. My arrow would weigh a lot and if you take the VAP arrows with stainless steel outsert you have the issue of having a super heavy arrow weight again but better FOC. I am looking at giving the Kinetic Hunter's a try or the Axis arrows.

dotman

WKR
So how easy are the fmj's to bend? I did not even think about this when putting them into the consideration list.

Kinetic outserts are a joke...

If you are going to run Kinetics then do yourself a favor and use the Easton HIT inserts. Better alignment. Like OR Archer stated ... you can't bend a HIT like you can a Kinetic.

I am not a fan of FMJs because I have seen them shine from a distance in sunlight. The Axis is a great shaft for that as well as the Kinetic!! If you are wanting super thin the VAP or the Injexion is the best choice, however, I am not a fan of the VAPs insert options at all.

J-Daddy

WKR
I'd go with the HIT insert over an Outsert any day...I've ruined outserts just shooting them into bag targets with field tips, I'm not a fan of them at all.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
So it looks like the overall consensus is that the outserts on any arrow are a joke. I cannot believe that some people are bending them on bag targets. So Easton Axis or Kinetics with HIT inserts then?

swat8888

WKR
I'd look at the Beman MFX as well. They are a little bit lighter than the Axis, and the Kinect's are a little lighter than the Beman's. I shoot a 125gr BH on a 28 1/2 in arrow and it's relatively heavy with a good amount of FOC. 466 gr and 12% FOC. Obviously if you choose the Kinect you'll get a bit more FOC and a little less with the Axis...assuming you are shooting a standard HIT insert. Depends how many FPS you are willing to sacrifice.