Small Diameter Front Fiber Optic Sight

tdhanses

WKR
Sorry, shouldn't have posted without pics. I haven't had it out in the forest yet (just put it together Sunday), but I did some testing in my backyard early this morning. Not as bright as I'd like, but definitely adds some contrast. In the sun it is super bright, as expected. Will do some more testing this weekend as the sun is rising/setting. I've contemplated drilling some holes in the top of the hood, but want to try another idea first. Not sure I'll have time prior to hunting season but developing something better, maybe even something to bring to market, is on my winter list. Definitely open to thoughts, etc. View attachment 315362View attachment 315363View attachment 315364
Did you use a press to drill it and put the reticle in a vise? My issue is getting that tiny of a bit to drill without wanting to walk.

ToolMann

WKR
Drill press, yes. Vise, no. Held it tight with my fingers 😁. Wasn't easy. As I try to develop something better I'll work on a jig for the drilling process or see if I can find a manufacturer who can stamp them with a .0195 hole in the middle.

eltaco

WKR
Sorry, shouldn't have posted without pics. I haven't had it out in the forest yet (just put it together Sunday), but I did some testing in my backyard early this morning. Not as bright as I'd like, but definitely adds some contrast. In the sun it is super bright, as expected. Will do some more testing this weekend as the sun is rising/setting. I've contemplated drilling some holes in the top of the hood, but want to try another idea first. Not sure I'll have time prior to hunting season but developing something better, maybe even something to bring to market, is on my winter list. Definitely open to thoughts, etc. View attachment 315362View attachment 315363View attachment 315364

Are you able to wrap the fiber multiple passes around the globe, similar to an archery sight? May take a lot of fiber length to get the brightness you’re after, but adding a few wraps around the globe diameter would increase the fiber length significantly

ToolMann

WKR
Man that's a clean look. If that works in low light, you could sell that setup.
Thanks. Working on something that I could sell. Drawback with this setup is the method of the fiber being connected to the front. You can't remove the globe or insert once attached. Something more modular will be better. Plug and play type of solution.

ToolMann

WKR
Are you able to wrap the fiber multiple passes around the globe, similar to an archery sight? May take a lot of fiber length to get the brightness you’re after, but adding a few wraps around the globe diameter would increase the fiber length significantly
I could, but all of my fiber strands were short. Would also want to find a clean way for the fiber to exit the bottom of the globe to start wrapping, then a method to finish the wrap so it is secure.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
That was the original plan, but my other old now site had a much thicker fiber. May try to get some green to try out.
Those look good. Hell I'd probably buy a set and I don't even have an inline at the moment!
As far as fiber optics, this place has a ton of options. (no affiliation)
Nanoptics

ToolMann

WKR
Thanks fellas. I know fiber is for sale a bunch of places. Just didn't have green during the putting together process. Still have 4 weeks till I hunt so may try switching it up, but may just use the orange this year. We'll see. I'll keep you all updated as I work through development of a more marketable product.

eltaco

WKR
Curious how this is working out for you in the real world. I love the idea, and considering whether I want to go through the same effort.

I currently have a globe with Lee shaver reticles. They’re nice during the day, but I’m scared of low light scenarios. The Muzzy fibers are all such a huge post.

I’m probably getting in my own head too much, but I’m used to seeing a completely different sight picture with many years of archery.

ToolMann

WKR
Sorry for the delayed response. On day 7 of a camping/fishing loop of SW Colorado. I won't know for sure until I hit the elk woods in 2 weeks. It definitely helped accuracy at the range. At this point I figure it definitely won't make it worse in a hunting situation. I'll report back when we're done hunting and let everyone know the results and how it performed. It will also give me some direction on how to move forward with modifications.

flagman

FNG
Hey toolman, how the hunt go with your new sight? My son and I hunted muzzy deer using Lyman 93 Front Globe with thin crosshairs. My son shot a 170“ buck at 120 yds at 930 am in mixed trees just below timberline, he said he could see the crosshairs, but not the deer in shade. He put the rifle up and down three times and figured out exactly where the deer was and made a clean shot. This got me to thinking, as we’ve practiced a lot out to 300 yds on targets, but a hunting situation is always the true test. I’am wondering about cutting the globe as mentioned above, but I’am interested in your experience, flagman

ToolMann

WKR
Thanks for the reminder, Flagman. Hunting itself was 6 days of trying to find elk, and 3 days if trying to call them off private land over to public. Hot and dry conditions. Fun, but never pulled the trigger. The sight itself worked good. Not quite as good as I wanted, but close. It needs improvement for very first and last light. The fiber optic lit up maybe 15 mins into legal light. After that it was nice and bright, even in the dark timber. I'm going to work on a few more prototypes once hunting season is over, which is mid November for me, and try to get to a point that I have something that is plug and play for others. Congrats on the buck!

Last edited:
I'm going to do something similar, but I'll be machining my front ramp and adding a .010 pin from an Axcel sight to it. Just need to figure out a hood and how to wrap the fiber.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'm going to do something similar, but I'll be machining my front ramp and adding a .010 pin from an Axcel sight to it. Just need to figure out a hood and how to wrap the fiber.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
if you get this going, let me know. i would possibly be interested, especially if it is a setup kind of like and HHA archery sight