Small freezer

darmento

FNG
Need to buy a freezer for my basement. The current freezer in our kitchen side by side just doesn’t have much room. This freezer I will be getting does not have to be huge. Just a decent one with a door that flips up and has about 40 or 50 cubic feet of storage. Does anyone have good experiences with any particular make and model? Thanks for any advice…

I had a haire ? Small chest freezer from Costco that worked perfectly for several years until I got tired of dealing with a chest freezer and needed more space anyway. I don’t think I’ll ever own a chest freezer again. Even organizing in crates that fit perfectly it was still a hassle. Stand up is way easier, that being said that brand seemed to be good especially as cheap as it was.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
A 50 cf freezer isn’t small, unless it’s like the TARDIS.

I prefer chest freezers for long term. A small 5 cf chest freezer on Amazon is $225-300. Let it sit for a day before plugging it in.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
What are your needs? don't get a oversized freezer, but one to fit your needs. Freezer work best when there is less open area, but still has room for air movement, the frozen product helps maintain temp. Get a freezer capable of -10 to -15 degrees.

Jbxl20

WKR
I have a nice whirlpool one that we keep our main food in. But Check lowes for dented ones. I have two small chest freezers in my basement I picked up on scratch and dent super cheap. One is a hotpoint and the other is Hisense. We butcher chickens and turkeys 2 times a year and I needed more room to freeze whole birds. I’ve been happy with them.

Also consider used ones, both of my chest freezers were used, don’t recall exact prices but no more than about $100, had them over 15 years and still going strong.

Not sure what availability of freezers are these days nor prices. I picked up a small chest freezer from Lowes several years ago for not much money- a brand I didn't recognize. Its been good, no issues. checking the Scratch and dent section seems like a good idea as they seem to get scratches and dents fairly quickly anyways.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 7 cubic foot Magic Chef at Home Depot for $200. Works great.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
You’re probably looking for the 5-7 cubic foot size? That’s what the small size chest freezers are. You can fit multiple deer or black bear size game animals worth of meat in one, or fill one to the brim and then some with an elk.

WCB

WKR
Agree...small or 5-7ish cubic feet. About 33 x 32x 22. I have two deer, 1 smallish Black Bear (with full hide), some 20 breasted pheasants, and a couple odd ball items in mine currently.

Want to say ours is a hotpoint we got as a gift but it was a couple hundred bucks 4 years ago and zero issues.

WILLMCC

FNG
I use a small 7 Cu Foot chest freezer from Sam's club with a small generator in the back of my truck to get my meat from out West to my home back East. Generator will power the freezer for close to 20 hours on a single tank of fuel. Then the next season I rotate all of the wild game from the chest type back into my standup freezer and the chest type is ready to make another run. Works way better than ice and coolers.