Small game in CO front range?

CoMtnMike

FNG
Last year I got 2 squirrels with my 7 year old, one pine and one fox. Trying to take my 5.5 year old daughter and 7 year old son out for squirrels and rabbits, but finding spots seems hard when hiking distance and steepness is an issue with kids. Plus I'd rather get fox squirrels than the little pines just from a size perspective. The kids get more excited about fried squirrel than deer/elk/bear meat! Any ideas on public ground down low or likely private options I would be much appreciated... I know giving up a squirrel spot may be a big ask! In the Golden/Lakewood area of Denver. Seems all the public I can find close in is steep and pine squirrel area... and further out is definitely up in the pines...

Golden gate state park allows hunting for big game (deer and elk) so it might also allow for small game. It's close to Golden and a really mild hike up some open park meadows, rocky areas and some conifers. I always grab a doe tag for late rifle so I have a reason to get outside in December and January.

OP
C

CoMtnMike

FNG
I tried hunting deer there 2nd season a few years ago, but weather was too nice and there were too many hikers & bikers. I got my deer across the street in Ralston SWA instead. But I'll have to look for that late season Jeffco doe tag next year, I hadn't noticed a late season option so close before. Although the huntable ground in Jeffco is small... It might be worth looking for small game in there too, though in Ralston I have only found pine squirrels not the bigger Fox squirrels.
Thanks for the reminder to look in there. And the trails help for hiking w kids vs Ralston without much except steep...

The late season weather definitely reduces the number of hikers. You also get the chance to put in the lottery for centennial cone - which isn't much of a hunt but a great way to fill the freezer. I can't imagine early seasons there but once the snow hits it's nice and quiet. Finally, late season doe is a C tag so it doesn't affect your early season options, and it's almost always available in the leftovers list.

OP
C

CoMtnMike

FNG
The late season weather definitely reduces the number of hikers. You also get the chance to put in the lottery for centennial cone - which isn't much of a hunt but a great way to fill the freezer. I can't imagine early seasons there but once the snow hits it's nice and quiet. Finally, late season doe is a C tag so it doesn't affect your early season options, and it's almost always available in the leftovers list.
I am regretting not having the back up fill the freezer tag like that right now, been a rough year. Currently that tag is off the leftover list; I had been asking a few land owners if I could hunt there as the private property tags are still available, but no luck yet. Just bought a 4th season cow tag for unit 37... hopefully I can fill that.

And I'll be competing with you for that late season doe tag next year! Thanks for the advice!

I am regretting not having the back up fill the freezer tag like that right now, been a rough year. Currently that tag is off the leftover list; I had been asking a few land owners if I could hunt there as the private property tags are still available, but no luck yet. Just bought a 4th season cow tag for unit 37... hopefully I can fill that.

And I'll be competing with you for that late season doe tag next year! Thanks for the advice!
Good luck on the cow tag, and you're welcome in unit 38 there are plenty of tags. Nothing secret about Golden gate.

You could also consider rabbits I suppose, we're lousy with rabbits down in Littleton, I bet there are a few places that allow hunting of them, I've heard of falconers going after them in suburbia.

OP
C

CoMtnMike

FNG
interesting... would be cool if they allow hunting on it as well!

And perfect timing to bring back up this late season C class doe tag option, my big game brochure just came in the mail. Also, squirrel/rabbit hunting in Golden Gate with my son a couple weeks ago I ran into 3 guys hunting the last weekend with their doe and cow tags, sounds like it was a tough go this year in Jeffco... (Maybe one of the guys aI talked to was you?) Do you know how competitive that centennial cone freezer filler lottery is? Do you stand a 50% chance, 25%... 2%?

My hope is that if it was part of Golden gate park it would be included in the hunt.

I met several hunters when I was out, one of the guys had gotten a buck out of Golden gate, but said he hunted it hard for a like 6 days and only saw three deer. Apparently tons of moose, but deer we're down this year. I'm in the middle is prepping our house to sell so I only got out once but I saw more moose sign than deer sign if you can believe it.

The centennial cone lottery for deer is pretty tough to draw, something like 5-10 percent, the elk is much easier. I got the centennial cone elk tag once and over about 5 days never saw any sign, but roughly 100 deer. They seem to know you have the wrong tag and just go parading by. I started practicing stalks just for something to do.

OP
C

CoMtnMike

FNG
I see moose everywhere too while looking for elk or deer. Makes me wonder if CPW needs to up the tags on them...

I've had deer in range of bow or rifle for every elk hunt I have been on; but with a deer tag in my pocket they become scarce or slippery enough to disappear just as I get into range...

Golden Gate has a lottery to hunt their Green Ranch section and a chunk on the eastern border that is no hunting for some reason, so curious where the new section will fall - hopefully towards hunting.

So far 0 for 3 on small game with the kids, tried 3 SWAs, Golden Gate and some forest land near Golden Gate. Weather has been more windy than ideal on the available days which certainly isn't good for finding squirrels...

I saw one pine one time hunting up in Golden Gate. I'm still looking for a productive front-range small-game spot. Lot of hikers and not a lot of bigger squirrels. Makes for a nice walk though.

jayhawk

WKR
Sometimes a call to the local CPW office can be beneficial. I live in CO for 5 yrs and they told me about some public land/access within an hour of me that I'd never heard about.
Also landowners are MUCH more likely to let you and your little ones hunt squirrels or rabbits on their property than their deer or elk. Heck a lot of people are happy to get rid of them!

That's a great call out. I ran into a CPW officer on the way in for some squirrel hunting and she was super helpful on some areas to check out.

I have never seen a fox squirrel on any huntable public lands on the front range - just the hundreds eating my garden every year. Plenty of pine squirrels but I don't usually see a big density of those in any one location. I've had great success with rabbits in the sage out east and in the front range foothills (look for areas with rocks, sage, and some small trees). Snow is obviously a big help but if you can hit a day where it is bitter cold but sunny, those are the best. Wait until the sun hits and they'll be sunning themselves outside their burrows making easy targets.