Small gauge turkey

Jmort1754

WKR
If you were to pick a small gauge such as 20 or 410 to shoot tss in a budget gun what are you picking ?

I hunt with my a400 but my nieces are starting this year.

Looked at

Rossi tuffy turkey
Stevens 301

Any other input ?

Rich M

WKR
You can shoot a modified or open cylinder to reduce the tightness of the pattern. Red dot removes the "calculation" of the shot pattern too.

Teach the kid to shoot for the neck and not the head.

Do they still make budget guns?

I was always 3-1/2” 12ga with custom chokes. Then I tried my 11 year old’s youth Remington 870 with TSS 7’s and a Remington super full choke. Now, when youth season is over, I find myself just grabbing his gun to hunt with. It’s light, short, and throws a crazy tight pattern down range.

The Rossi Tuffy Turkey with a FF III will be utilized by us this year.
I'm giving the Rossi a try this season as well, although I am far from an experienced turkey hunter. At a weight of just over 3# it'll be awesome for packing in and being mobile.

I haven't dialed mine in yet, I'm curious if you are using the factory choke and what loads you are running. The less TSS I have to run through it the better!

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Another vote for the youth 870. My kid has killed 2 turkeys so far with his and intends to keep using it as long as we can get ammo for it. I will use it, too, if I ever draw a tag.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
I'm giving the Rossi a try this season as well, although I am far from an experienced turkey hunter. At a weight of just over 3# it'll be awesome for packing in and being mobile.

I haven't dialed mine in yet, I'm curious if you are using the factory choke and what loads you are running. The less TSS I have to run through it the better!
I'm going to run the Carlson's TSS. I run Indian creek 670 in my a400.

The factory choke with Ninja 9.5's.

It came from the factory very dirty. I gave it a deep clean, then polished the barrel. Got the sight close with lead loads, deep cleaned and final sighting with the TSS.

It really likes a clean barrel, like clean between shots clean.

Esse quam videri

sneaky

"DADDY"
Stevens 301 with a Burris Fastfire 3 red dot and you'll kill turkeys a long ways out. With TSS there is absolutely no need to shoot a 3.5in 12ga. I've seen some amazing kills with TSS at distance from 410s up to 12ga. The 410 is lighter, easier to carry, and much easier on the shoulder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yarak

WKR
I switched to a 20ga years ago and load my own 7.5 hevishot
If youre looking for budget you might look at the Hatfield line of shotguns

Fullfan

WKR
We started hand loading TSS in the 20ga 7-8 years ago. Have two of the Weatherby sa459’s and two Winchester X3 long beards. My 12’s will never hunt again. I can load the tss for 3.50-4.00 a shell. Tss has made the sub ga guns leather killers at 40 yds.

khunter1

FNG
The stevens 301 turkey .410 is a nice little gun. Put you a reflex or other red dot style scope on and take the guesswork out for kiddos. The shells are expensive, but depending on your bag limits where you are at a box off tungsten turkey loads for your .410 should last you a couple seasons at least so the cost isn't as bad as it seems. That little combo will have no issues getting a bird out to 40 yards. Maybe more but with youth I would want to keep it under 40 for sure.

The red dot really helps with those closer shots and such a narrow pattern, but if that dot is on the turkeys head/neck 40 or under thats a dead bird!

Best of luck!

dtrkyman

WKR
.410 and .28ga are still not legal in some places, so if you travel keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
I bought a cheap Savage Pardner pump 20 gauge and put a turkey specific choke in it for a my son. We’ve both since shot a pile of turkeys with and it’s performed flawlessly. I normally shoot HeviShot Heavy Metal loads and it patterns really good out to 35yards. Haven’t really pushed it much further than that cuz we like to get close, that’s part of the fun of turkey hunting. The only thing I have ever noticed about it, is that it doesn’t have the kick of a 12 gauge. Other than that, it kills em dead just like a 12 gauge LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same with me. 3.5 benelli, then got my girls a 21 inch 20 ga youth camo moss berg 50. I now use it as my primary turkey gun, just add a slip on boot recoil pad when I use it. Sold all my 12 turkey ammo. I use 3 inch #7 TSS shot, I am fine out to 50 yds.

I've been using my daughter's Tristar Viper .410. Sweet little gun. Just bought a matching 20 gauge youth Tristar Viper. Both wear Burris FF3s mounted on Sumtoy mounts. The .410 shoots good with a Indian Creek .385 constriction choke and #9.5 TSS. The 20 is set up with a Sumtoy .562 choke and #9 TSS. Sweet shooting little guns and easy to carry.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk