small, handy cow call (rifle season) suggestion?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can use a diaphragm (lots of spring turkey hunting), certainly small (and effective), but not what I would call handy. I'm looking for something small, quick and easy to use, mostly likely to be hung from my bino harness.

I purchased a Hoochie Mama call and it sounds pretty decent (and easy to use), but it was disappointed in it's size- about twice as large as I was expecting- anything that's as effective, but smaller?

thanks in advance

Marble

WKR
Diaphragm for sure. Hands free and cheap. I keep a variety in my bino case and /or pocket. Less weight, space and cost.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
looks like the cowgirl might do the trick :)
What's more handy than having a diaphragm call in your mouth?

Definitely handy, but I never found having a diaphragm call in my mouth for 12-14 hours very comfy

It’s an item that I’m not likely to use much (rifle season), but would be nice to have a chance of getting an elk to stop, even for just a second or two

muddydogs

WKR
https://www.primos.com/primos-hunting/hunting-calls/elk-calls/cowgirl/c-24/c-106/p-286
I have been using this for years now. I quit carrying the hoochie mama. This fits in the side pocket or the top elastic on a AGC.
This right here. I always carry one, even works well to stop deer or put a deer at ease if you make a little noise during a stock. Personally I think it sounds as good or better then most open reed cow calls that are 3 and 4 times the price.

I'm with the OP on carrying around a diaphragm call in my mouth all day heck if I'm not blowing through the diaphragm it's not in my mouth. Guess I'm just not one of the cool kids.

87TT

WKR
Try this one. super easy. I bought a few.

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
that is interesting, have never heard of that one- thanks

87TT

WKR
You bite on it (not hard) and it hits the high note and as you relax it goes to low. Simplest call besides the squeeze calls.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
the best elk call

This is one of the best I've seen or heard

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
looks like the cowgirl might do the trick :)

Definitely handy, but I never found having a diaphragm call in my mouth for 12-14 hours very comfy

It’s an item that I’m not likely to use much (rifle season), but would be nice to have a chance of getting an elk to stop, even for just a second or two
You can make a nervous grunt with just your voice sucking air in. Works great to get an Elk to stop. Way easier than getting a call into your mouth while you should be getting your rifle into play

elkduds

WKR
Rated by effectiveness:
3. Hoochie Mama/squeeze cow call: won't fool other hunters.
2. Open reed/bite-and-blow: might fool a few newb hunters.
1. Mouth diaphragm: most likely to fool other hunters.

I always keep a diaphragm or two in the small zippered pouch on the front of my bino harness. I have had success calling herds in to me using them during rifle season.