Small Hunting / House / Mountain Dog

Rooggvc

WKR
Does this dog even exist?

I am looking for a small dog, preferrably under 30 lbs, that can fill multiple roles. I would like something that I can take hunting pheasants and chuckers. Something that might retrieve a duck out of the river. I would also like something that I could take up on the mountain for hikes, and use as a camp watch dog. The biggest thing is it has to be good around kids, and other pets (chickens and a cat.)

I was thinking the Jagd would fit my bill perfectly, but everything I have heard and read says they probably won't do well with other animals.
I love German Wirehairs, but they are just bigger then I want.

What dog are you using?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have never owned either but a beagle or a Britney might fit the bill. You may find you'll need to change your max. size requirements. If so, I highly recommend a GSP. Great hunters, very social dog, highly intelligent, very well suited for both upland game and water foul. I simply love them.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
The Brittany was one that came up as a NAVHDA recognized breed. I have thought about the Beagle as well. I just don't have experience with either one.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
The boykin is another one that I stumbled upon. I hadn't heard of them until recently. I will have to look at them some more.

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever: Toller for short.
Our female Hazel weighed about 40 pounds. Beautiful dog and very friendly and liked to please. Very smart. Obvious by the name she loved to hunt ducks and other waterfowl. She also loved to hunt pheasant and other upland birds. She did not point but would stay and hunt close and search for birds and would flush them. She was a great retriever.

Hazel with our chihuahua.
1666303739074.jpeg

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I would tend to agree. :) I just have noticed every time I get a large dog, with the intent of keeping it in the house, it ends up outside. So maybe a smaller dog will be the ticket.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I did read that about the Beagle. The guy said you can count on them heading off to chase interesting smells. I haven't read anything about using Beagles for birds.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Those labs are interesting. I was trying to find a small GWP, but to no avail.

bdg848

WKR
If you want a pointing breed you're looking at Small Munsterlanders and Britanys are around 35-45lbs, Vizsla around 35-50lbs. If you realllllly want one under 30lbs I think you are going to have to get a spaniel- Cocker, Springer, or Boykin type.

Whisky

WKR
English cocker fits all of you're requirements. They are bird hunting machines, and great family dogs.
Probably my next dog breed, as I don't waterfowl hunt near as much as I used to.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I was pretty stoked when I stumbled onto the Jagd a couple of weeks ago, but my wife isn't comfortable with the potential animal aggression (other dogs, cats, etc). From what I have been reading about the Boykin today, they seem to be my front runner now.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I was reading that the English Cocker was a better hunting bread then the American Cocker. I definitely see myself doing more upland hunting, but I wouldn't mind jump shooting waterfowl off the river occasionally. I definitely don't see myself getting full blown into waterfowl.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a reason for the weight limit? My GWP is 50 lbs and can still curl up in the middle seat of a full size Silverado

Cocker spaniel would also fit the bill