Small Kifaru waist belt issue

Snyd

WKR
There system is different than ours.

Ah.... thanks for clearing that up. I haven't looked at it close enough yet. I checked out the Bikini when I was in CO in Feb but did'nt look at it close enough and mine hasn't arrived yet.

Did you make it to Fairbanks last weekend? I didn't make down to the show. Skiing is still great :D

Snyd

WKR
Kifaru uses two loops, retains pressure. Kelty uses only one and keeps pressure on the buckle.

That sounds like a better setup. The Kelty system helps you cinch it up but the belt will loosen up after time with a heavy, 100lb+ load.

Rizzy

WKR
I really like my power pulls, but they bind up on me if I don't level out the belt and pull along the bottom of the strap. I cinch it as far as it will go and it pretty much stays there the whole time.

Snyd

WKR
hmmm, I got to looking at this again and by a couple posts it sounded like there was some other type of retention device for the belt tension on the Kifaru. But, this pic looks just like the Kelty design except it's a plastic piece that serves the same purpose. I don't see any difference between the two designs. It's just a place for the belt to slip back through to give leverage to pull it tight. Tension is still on the buckle. Mine might just be worn out.

The Power PullTM
Our exclusive Power Pull lets you bring the pack weight into your lumbar area with a forward pull - this mechanical advantage is much easier and more efficient than a rearward pull.
Note: make sure you use ONLY the forward common loop. The second is for Piggybacking one pack to another.

omnibelt1350.jpg

Snyd

WKR
Here's 3 Kelty belts I have. What's the difference with the Kifaru?

keltyBelts_zps4656434b.jpg

sk1

WKR
I really like my power pulls, but they bind up on me if I don't level out the belt and pull along the bottom of the strap. I cinch it as far as it will go and it pretty much stays there the whole time.

should be the standard on all packs IMO, one of the first things i look for. i cant stand pulling away from the center

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Snyd,

The one thing I see right away is the Kifaru uses a plastic common loop with flattened surfaces rather than a round wire loop.

Maybe that is enough of a difference?

In any case I am glad they have the feature.

dotman

WKR
Plus it has a fastener with the two loops, doesn't take much to change up a patent. As you can see clearly they are not exact copies there are differences

OP
W

WV Dan

FNG
Wow-I didn't really mean to start a patent debate with this thread. I did get a chance to hike a couple hours with my pack today. I had about 60 pounds in it, the belt didn't slip at all, very comfortable. I haven't ever used a pack this nice--my first Kifaru gear, definitely not my last.

Snyd

WKR
Who knows about the whole patent issue. I don't see a debate, just a discussion while some of us wait for our new packs :D

So it looks like functionally, the Kifaru and Kelty systems are the same. I wonder what Aron and sreekers are referring to? sreekers says Kifaru uses to loops to retain pressure. Am I missing something? In about a month I'll be able to compare them side by side.

Kifaru says this about the two loops.

"Note: make sure you use ONLY the forward common loop. The second is for Piggybacking one pack to another."

weaver

WKR
Do you tighten the kelty by pulling on both sides of belt or just on the right side. Cant see from your pic.
Maybe thats the difference.

Snyd

WKR
Do you tighten the kelty by pulling on both sides of belt or just on the right side. Cant see from your pic.
Maybe thats the difference.

Both sides are setup the same way. Grab the tails and pull in until you can't breath and then back off a little :D :D

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Who knows about the whole patent issue. I don't see a debate, just a discussion while some of us wait for our new packs :D

So it looks like functionally, the Kifaru and Kelty systems are the same. I wonder what Aron and sreekers are referring to? sreekers says Kifaru uses to loops to retain pressure. Am I missing something? In about a month I'll be able to compare them side by side.

Kifaru says this about the two loops.

"Note: make sure you use ONLY the forward common loop. The second is for Piggybacking one pack to another."

From what I understand, the Kelty belt in your photo is not what they patent, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

MIKEYB

WKR
I was at rei today and was looking at a kelty with what I believe to have the scherer cinch and it did not look like what you have pictured Snyd. I also have a kelty and it looks like what you have pictured. The kelty I looked at today did not hold tension at the buckle but rather held it at two "common loops" near the end of the belt.

I had called kelty as my belt slips at the buckle and it is annoying. I asked for a retro fit kit or to purchase some buckles and they told me they would just send me some webbing and buckles that I could just get from rei. So I went to check it out today. I'll try and find a pic. I did buy a new buckle but am unsure if it will help.