small meadow vs large meadow with large/long overlook?

davsco

WKR
nw colo, the couple of mtn tops i've been on had almost vertical below them or too thick to see anything around. so what about big fields? they're prob not frolicking there middays, but how about early and late? one place i hiked up to has a huge field i can overlook that is super thick all around the field. another has a smaller field, but the aspens and pines around the field are a little more sparse such that i can see out maybe a mile and could do a spot and stalk. thoughts? thanks!

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a spotter? How many days do you have? For me personally, i find certain areas of the landscape that look good but if the elk arent there im to the point that i find the biggest drainage i can and glass the morning and afternoons till something pops up. As far as your frolicking fields lol, if you think they go there at night to feed then look for the most likely exit route ie. Game Trail, direction that leads to a mountain side with a good sized bench, things like that, where they may head into the timber and hunt from there. Im far from an expert but that is what i do if im having trouble. Not the beat info out there but hope it helps

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
yep spotting scope and hunting all five days sat-wed. i'm leaning towards the smaller field/larger overlook option, hoping while it's not dense timber, sparser timber is better than no timber.