Small/medium pack advice

Was wondering if y’all could help point me in the right direction on a pack

Currently have a badlands Diablo DOS and while it’s not a bad pack, I’ve been wanting something different as my needs have changed. My buddy and I setup camp and take out a SXS as far as we can, and then hike from there. Generally we are out either for a few hours to the full day; then come back to camp for the night.

Looking to haul the following gear:
-hydration bladder (2l) or a decent sized water bottle or two, no real preference there
-dressing kit
-various snacks to get me through the day. I don’t pack a lunch
-tripod (cf style for glassing/shooting)
-spare ammo sleeve
-GMRS/ham radio (changes depending on hunt/local support)
-phone for OnX

Binos are in a marsupial gear chest rig with my range finder and wind check.

More questions:
Are you planning to pack out meat?
Are you carrying extra clothes/layers?
Any possible overnighters or strictly day trips?

If no, I recommend the Kuiu venture. I really like mine.

OP
S
Oops. Some how part of my post didn’t make it.

Been eyeballing the Kuiu divide 1500. Like the idea that I can remove the hip supports as needed/if they get annoying. Looks like a fairly lightweight/streamlined pack too.

I can’t convince myself to spring for a $400+ pack. Options to check things out in person are really limited in my AO; so I’ll be at the mercy of reading review and pictures to make a decision.

Don’t plan on packing meat out (something I may regret one of these days). Last few deer we gutted in place and then drug it back to the SXS to haul back for further processing.

Only cloths I’d be packing is what I take off during the day as it warms up. Rain isn’t much of a thing where we go.

We are strictly day trips. If I’m out there at night; something has gone dreadfully wrong. I admit I’m not as hardcore as a lot of y’all.

OP
S
More questions:
Are you planning to pack out meat?
Are you carrying extra clothes/layers?
Any possible overnighters or strictly day trips?

If no, I recommend the Kuiu venture. I really like mine.

The Venture 1800 was one I was looking at.

How big are the side pockets? Was hard to tell if the CF tripod legs would fit in there. The diameter on these legs is a lot girthier than my old slik aluminum tripod.

For a size reference, does a 40oz hydroflask style water bottle fit in those pockets?

The Venture 1800 was one I was looking at.

How big are the side pockets? Was hard to tell if the CF tripod legs would fit in there. The diameter on these legs is a lot girthier than my old slik aluminum tripod.

For a size reference, does a 40oz hydroflask style water bottle fit in those pockets?
I can check when I get home, but my trekking poles fit well handle down with room to spare, as does a GI/nalgene canteen

I can check when I get home, but my trekking poles fit well handle down with room to spare, as does a GI/nalgene canteen
It fits a nalegene bottle pretty well, but the pcoket could stand to be deeper. It’ll also fit my Yeti 34oz (slightly larger than the nalgene). Both take up a little bit of internal space when in the pockets.

I typically carry my Kifaru Reckoning pack (6000ci) no matter how long im hunting. It secures down to almost nothing when im hiking in for the day and I can easily carry my trekking poles (in case i shoot something), my tripod, water bottles, etc. I also have an EXO 4800ci but it doesnt haul as well as the Kifaru so i typically take out the kifaru instead

JStol5

WKR
Stone glacier. Pricier but every bit worth it. Check out the Approach 2800. A little extra space never hurt anyone.. I use a Solo 3600 for a day pack and 1-2 nighter. Little roomy for a day pack but it cinches down really well and I wanted a good meat hauler.

Plus, it’s on the X-Curve frame, so if you ever get into longer hunts, you can throw a different bag on it.

And it will have decent resale.

Last edited:
OP
S
appreciate it, I'll get to checking out those packs online and see if I come up with any questions

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
I really like that Divide 1500. Great day pack. I removed the hip belt and only wear it with the shoulder straps.

OP
S
Sigh, the more packs I look at, the more confused I get.

I really wish there was a shop in AZ that I could go check these out in person. Sportsman’s warehouse, Cabelas, and a few other local shops just don’t have the “higher end” (non-store brand) gear that they used to.

FWIW, I’m about 6’2/220. Would be nice to verify a pack fits me properly before dropping the money on it.

Was just checking out the Mystery Ranch pop up 28. It’s about double the weight over the kuiu packs; but I gain a lot of options if I do get to the point that I’m packing out meat.

I have a white tail hunt in 3 weeks. Not sure I’ll be able to make my mind up before then…. I can stretch the budget a little bit; but damn, there are a lot of options and features.

OP
S
Ended up ordering the MR popup 28. Tried on the 38 at a local shop and liked how it fit, was just larger than I wanted. They didn’t have the 28 in stock.

Then I found MR on ExpertVoice and it was a no-brainer.

OP
S
Really like what I saw in the divide. Will likely pick one up for scouting trips for next season.

Appreciate everyone’s response! This site is great for helping me spend money.

OP
S
Popup 28 came in. Spent a lot of time getting it adjusted.

Definitely a smaller pack; but it’ll hold what I was looking at it for with ease.

Damned comfortable loaded with the same stuff that was in my badlands pack. Huge improvement with how it fits me.

Tripod fits in the side pockets well; but I find myself preferring to keep it in the “meat shelf” during my initial tests.

_S_R_

FNG
For day hunts Fjallraven Lapland hike if you not planning to meat hall.

2F96005A-6BA8-4401-8E4E-D6B330CC10C5.jpegBAF4839B-18EF-4526-8C4F-6710311FCC87.jpeg

Attachments

• 8D51718D-633A-4B2E-B04D-6BB2514EFAC6.jpeg
    8D51718D-633A-4B2E-B04D-6BB2514EFAC6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 2A9C29F2-9192-4B22-BA14-63B66BAE03F5.jpeg
    2A9C29F2-9192-4B22-BA14-63B66BAE03F5.jpeg
    466.5 KB · Views: 11
OP
S
That's pretty slick, I like how deep the side pockets are.

What's that doohickey on the nalogen bottles?

OP
S
thanks for the link. I've always loved the concept of hydration bladders but always gag at the plastic taste I got from them. I'm on the "last" bladder I plan on trying (Gregory)... already treated it with denture cleaner and water purification tabs to remove any residual "plastic" smell/taste before I use it the first time.

I've tried the traditional camelback, the "chemical proof" camel back, source, and some others I can't remember. Always been disappointed with them.

If it sucks, I'll likely try that setup as it looks like it would work well.