Small Pack Recommendation

htr2133

FNG
Hi All,

Still new here, but I think this is the best sub-forum to get some recommendations. I've done lots of searches and still haven't quite found what I'm looking for. Starting to think maybe what it doesn't exist or I am asking too much of one pack.

I only hunt in eastern woodlands. I have an XOP Air Raid stand and use WildEdge steps for my climbing system on public land hunts. I've hunted for 30 years and never needed more than a standard fanny-pack. I don't carry lots of extra gear or clothing really. Currently, I have a MOLLE II waist belt and shoulder straps attached to my stand. The stand is the frame and I simply strap my fanny pack, wild edge step bag and my coat to the stand for the hike in. This is comfy but a little inefficient. I am wanting a small pack w typical organization found on most treestand packs, but I'd like to be able to strap my stand securely to the pack or between me and the pack (either option is fine). I want to be able to quickly get the stand off the pack when I am ready to hang it. I would love if the pack was just large enough I could pack-out a bag of boned out deer meat on my hike out.

Are any of you using something that fits this bill?

My current top choices would be Eberlestock X2 or Badlands Superday maybe. I'd love a Kifaru Stryker but can't justify the costs. Would love to hear some recommendations from some of you who are running a similar setup as I've described above.

I have an Exo K2 3500 that I really like. I bought it for western hunting and it is great for that, I've hauled a black bear and a couple of mule deer in it. I also use it for whitetail hunting at home in the east. I have a lone wolf self climber that rides in between the pack and the frame. I used to do like you with the molle straps and fanny pack on my old summit viper but this new setup is far better. The pack is very comfortable with heavy loads but also compresses down flat to use as a daypack. It's nice having all the available space in the pack for when it's cold out and I don't want to overheat hiking in so I pack my bibs and parka in the main compartment. It's not cheap but it's one of the better gear investments I've made. It's amazing how stout it is yet lightweight. It's what I use now on backpacking trips because I've grown to like it so much better than my backpacking packs.

I had a mystery ranch cabinet that I liked quite a lot. I think They replaced it with the mule which is similar. It’d probably work pretty good for what you’re talking about. It wasn’t enough for multi day trips so I moved onto something bigger.

OP
H

htr2133

FNG
I have an Exo K2 3500 that I really like. I bought it for western hunting and it is great for that, I've hauled a black bear and a couple of mule deer in it. I also use it for whitetail hunting at home in the east. I have a lone wolf self climber that rides in between the pack and the frame. I used to do like you with the molle straps and fanny pack on my old summit viper but this new setup is far better. The pack is very comfortable with heavy loads but also compresses down flat to use as a daypack. It's nice having all the available space in the pack for when it's cold out and I don't want to overheat hiking in so I pack my bibs and parka in the main compartment. It's not cheap but it's one of the better gear investments I've made. It's amazing how stout it is yet lightweight. It's what I use now on backpacking trips because I've grown to like it so much better than my backpacking packs.
That is great info; thank you!