Small rifle for mid range hunting on large animals

I'm dreaming and may or may not purchase a new rifle but frankly, I'm tired of 26" barrels I am looking for rifle and caliber options:
I want a caliber that is adequate (read, OVERLY adequate is best) on Elk to 550; Mulies to 650; paper to 750.
Gun and scope for 2k total (assume a V4 or VX5 so deduct ~800 leaving me 1200 for the gun)
I'd really like to stay around 22" barrel length
I normally shoot an x-bolt 28 nosler with no brake and I don't plan on having one for this either. So recoil needs to be 28 or less (little closer to a 7 mag would be better)
not looking ultra light but I want a gun that's smaller/lighter/handier than my 28.
I'll have a friend develop a load for me so factory ammo isn't necessary but would be a nice option.

What are my options? Do I even have any? 7 saum? 300 wsm?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I ended up with an 18 inch 6.5 PRC which carries 1200 ft lbs of energy out to 850 yards so that would fit your ranges pretty well! As far as rifle options go it is hard to shy away from the Tikkas or Bergaras and have the barrel cut down to whatever length you like. Any caliber bigger than that would still do just fine for what you are looking for (7 saum, 300 wsm, etc) but shorter barrels are brutal when it comes to the felt energy after the shot. Not really the recoil as much as just the shock wave from recoil!

Is this a gun for hunting california? Being stuck with mono bullets would dramatically change my recommendations.

I'm dreaming and may or may not purchase a new rifle but frankly, I'm tired of 26" barrels I am looking for rifle and caliber options:
I want a caliber that is adequate (read, OVERLY adequate is best) on Elk to 550; Mulies to 650; paper to 750.
Gun and scope for 2k total (assume a V4 or VX5 so deduct ~800 leaving me 1200 for the gun)
I'd really like to stay around 22" barrel length
I normally shoot an x-bolt 28 nosler with no brake and I don't plan on having one for this either. So recoil needs to be 28 or less (little closer to a 7 mag would be better)
not looking ultra light but I want a gun that's smaller/lighter/handier than my 28.
I'll have a friend develop a load for me so factory ammo isn't necessary but would be a nice option.

What are my options? Do I even have any? 7 saum? 300 wsm?
For elk at that range I really like at least a 7mm, I'm not a huge savage fan but for what you're wanting to do I think the 110
280 ai is the best bet
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/119171/savage+110+ultralite+ba+280ai+22b

OP
Banded_spooney
Is this a gun for hunting california? Being stuck with mono bullets would dramatically change my recommendations.
If the caliber on this gun starts with a 3 I probably wouldn't hunt california with it. my 28 shoots LRX's well already. if its a 7 I'd probably switch my 28 back to lead and load this with monos

Ya… I heard that. 22 creed with that giant frontal diameter leaves a devastating wound channel on elk.
I strongly suggest reading the entire 223 for deer elk bear and moose thread. Frontal diameter is only one factor in tissue destruction, however bullet construction is by far the dominant factor. But by all means, use whatever you determine is the best option.

Totoro

WKR
Hmm, budget wise I would go CA Mesa in 6.5PRC @ 24".

You could have a gunsmith chop off a few inches to suit your needs.

Being in PRK too, I opted for a 24" 300WSM albeit it be a little porker at 9.5lbs but I can't shoot lighter guns to save my life!

Feeding it with handloads topped with an LRX, DEAD!

6.5 Creedmoor...eck, does not wanna roll off the tongue. 2000 fps at 600 yards will get it done with those slippery wind fighting high SD deep penetrating 140-147's. Reloading would be optional for the next 100+ years. It would be the most efficient choice for your ask. You'll get lots of zang from 22" barrel. If you like to watch impacts or don't feel need to recoil/blast unnecessarily or wake up townships then this also a good option.

You'll have to be secure in what you pack in your jeans though as guys like to tease. ;)

Throw a Trijicon 3-9x40 green mil-dot in some 1" low Talleys for another 15.5 oz total and your lightweight ~700 yard rig is all set. Just buy a few cases of ammo and get to having some fun and figure out where them dots land, you get crosshair, 4 mil in dots and 5 mil where the post thickens should be well over 700 yard capable and no dialling from a 200 yard zero.

I sort of went similar direction but distance limits about 200 yards less that you, not much elk desire (moose preferred and they are wimps) but mostly deer/black bear/sheep and more freezer tags than wall tags is desire these days. I went 6.5 Grendel (Grandma) and me and my kids are 12 for 12 on big game in 4.5 seasons so far. You'll do great with the extra 11-12 grains of powder and heavier slugs.

Last edited:
OP
Banded_spooney
6.5 Creedmoor...eck, does not wanna roll off the tongue. 2000 fps at 600 yards will get it done with those slippery wind fighting high SD deep penetrating 140-147's. Reloading would be optional for the next 100+ years. It would be the most efficient choice for your ask. You'll get lots of zang from 22" barrel. If you like to watch impacts or don't feel need to recoil/blast unnecessarily or wake up townships then this also a good option.

You'll have to be secure in what you pack in your jeans though as guys like to tease. ;)

Throw a Trijicon 3-9x40 green mil-dot in some 1" low Talleys for another 15.5 oz total and your lightweight ~700 yard rig is all set. Just buy a few cases of ammo and get to having some fun and figure out where them dots land, you get crosshair, 4 mil in dots and 5 mil where the post thickens should be well over 700 yard capable and no dialling from a 200 yard zero.

I sort of went similar direction but distance limits about 200 yards less that you, not much elk desire (moose preferred and they are wimps) but mostly deer/black bear/sheep and more freezer tags than wall tags is desire these days. I went 6.5 Grendel (Grandma) and me and my kids are 12 for 12 on big game in 4.5 seasons so far. You'll do great with the extra 11-12 grains of powder and heavier slugs.
I actually have a 22" barrel 6.5 Creedmoor. Weighs nothing, doesn't kick. Its shot paper to 900, antelope to 400 and blacktail and pigs but at no distance to speak of. I'd shoot mulies with it to 400 and not worry about it but I personally wouldn't trust it on big bulls. I almost took it on a cow/whitetail hunt one time but grabbed my 7 mag instead. I guess I just like a little extra thump.

My wife is going to kill a blacktail this year so I'd imagine in a few weeks it won't be mine anymore lol.

Honestly, it is 'minute of elk' certainly not the tack driver I expected. I have never found a factory load that shoots better than like 1.2" (Kimber mountain rifle) but it certainly fits the 'handiness' criteria. things tend to get little bullets through their lungs when I pull the trigger on that gun.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I actually have a 22" barrel 6.5 Creedmoor. Weighs nothing, doesn't kick. Its shot paper to 900, antelope to 400 and blacktail and pigs but at no distance to speak of. I'd shoot mulies with it to 400 and not worry about it but I personally wouldn't trust it on big bulls. I almost took it on a cow/whitetail hunt one time but grabbed my 7 mag instead. I guess I just like a little extra thump.

Can you describe a wound channel with more “thump”?

Having used 6.5’s way beyond 400 yards on quite a few bulls…. They kill just fine.

My wife is going to kill a blacktail this year so I'd imagine in a few weeks it won't be mine anymore lol.

Honestly, it is 'minute of elk' certainly not the tack driver I expected. I have never found a factory load that shoots better than like 1.2" (Kimber mountain rifle) but it certainly fits the 'handiness' criteria. things tend to get little bullets through their lungs when I pull the trigger on that gun.
It's just getting warmed up at 400, think you'd maybe try a few elk in that 4-600 yard range before you rule it out. And just find one that shoots sub-moa or better yet just work that Kimber over until it can shoot like a factory tikka/ruger/savage lol...nice starting point and you already have it. It's a true 600 yard cartridge and that includes elk and all those 140-147 bullets have way more than enough SD to penetrate much deeper than the bullet weight suggests. The deer aren't even close to a workout for it.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I have an out of the box xbolt Western Hunter (24" barrel) in 6.8 Western that shoots in the .3-.5moa range with handloaded 170 Bergers running 2900fps. Low recoil and elk medicine to at least 800 yards. I've shot sub .5 moa rocks with it at 1350 yards. They just work. Very light as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk