Small spotter vs high power binos??

Hey guys, for about 3 years I've been using the little 11-33x50 vortex razor. I have 10x42 binos as well as the large 85mm zeiss spotter. I mix and match them depending on what I'm doing.

I hear a lot about 15x binos on a tripod but I've never tried it. I was thinking about running 15s on a tripod instead if the small spotter. Seems like they are more comfortable.

What's your opinion??

dotman

WKR
I really liked my 15's but that said I think a small spotter is more useful overall. I spend 90% of my time behind my 10's and the remainder is looking way out there or trying to get a good close view which is why I like a 20-60 zoom range with a fixed 10 power for locating.

The 55mm Kowa has my interest, look forward to seeing exactly what it's specs are once released.

Felix40

WKR
I havent run a nice spotter much but i much prefer my 15s to what I have used. For me they are the only piece of glass i need. It really cuts down pack weight. I dont really worry about scoring animals before I go after them so thats something to consider. A lot of guys say they cant use 15s off hand but that hasnt been a problem for me. I think if even if I brought a spotter I would still run the 15s instead of 10s.

fatrascal

WKR
squeakieslayer, I think you are covered in the close to far distance with what you already have. But some people really love the 15's. I say get a pair of 15's and try them out and then decide what works best for you. If you find that there is a certain optic that you no longer need then you can usually sell them easily. fatrascal.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the same Vortex spotter as you for a while and it is a good piece of glass. I sold my bigger spotter for the 50 cause I didn't want the weight. On the other hand I like glassing my viper 10x42s on a tripod due to the comfort. That led me to buying bigger binos. I almost pulled the trigger on a set of 15s until I tried some Meopta 12x50s. I can take the 12s and the little spotter and cover anything I need.

This is just what I did, the 12s seem to be a good compromise between not having to get a big set of 15s but upgrading from a 10.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
There is no best answer for this because its all personal preference. I've tried a bunch of different configurations and am now using 10x42 Viper HD's and 11-33 Razor Spotter. This setup fits my style of hunting the best. I do run the 10's off of a tripod at times as well. If you put on a lot of miles in a day this is a good option. If I was not putting on a ton of miles and doing longer glassing sits, I would opt for a big spotter.

efnm

WKR
I live next a mountain here in central NM and wake up each morning by glassing it with my 15x56's and my 20-70 spotter. I only use the spotter if I want to zoom in close enough to see the bighorn sheep's curl or take a nice photo of the animal. Since I'm just goofing off, I usually do use the spotter. However, I can tell whether it is a ram, a bull elk, etc. from 2.25-2.75 miles away when using my 15x56s and cover a LOT more ground when glassing, too.

So ask yourself how far you expect to be from the animal, whether you plan on really searching for an animal, and whether you need to score it.

efnm

WKR
Your eyes will thank you. Try out the Meoptas, by the way. either theirs or the Cabela's branded version. I love them and how they fit my eyes.