Small whitetail backpack

I am looking for a new backpack. Not a big pack by anymeans. Just one to walk to miles into my stand and two miles out at the end of the day.

what backpack do you guy recommend. Something that’s just going to fit my water bottle and basic stuff for the day.

the alps stuff looks nice but I think I really want somthing that’s tan or coyote color all of them are camo.

ncavi8tor

WKR
I have been running the Badlands Treestand pack for the past 4 seasons and it works perfectly for my style of Whitetail hunting. If I don't have a pre-hung stand set up then I will throw my Lonewolf Hand Climber on my back and attach the pack to the stand.

I don't think they make the Treestand model anymore, but I'm sure Ebay has a few.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
I've been happy with my Tenzing 1200 daypack for such days afield. Light and just big enough. I like that it has an expandable main compartment, and can lash a jacket or insulation layer to the outside if I get too hot while walking.

It does lack an external water bottle pocket though as it is designed more for bladder use.

That said, I am being drawn back to using a lumbar pack with a set of suspenders more and more when I want to go light. We do a lot of deer drives through nasty brush and briar patches in rifle season and that gives me enough to carry kill kit, puffy, rain gear, etc. combined with bino harness up front I am good to go. A lumbar pack also handles a collapsed turkey decoy nicely for gobbler hunting by strapping it right to the top of the lumbar pack.

Bloc004

FNG
I used an Alps for years and loved it. I used a Kifaru Shape Charge last year and that pack was perfect. The handle loop on the bottom holds a bow cam, plenty of room inside for puffy or outer layers, and water bottle pouches on outside. Also handles in the tree nice, not big and bulky.

11bravo

FNG
Kifaru Urban Ruck is the pack you’re looking for. It’s a great quality bag that will last. Amazing bag to carry and take in the stand. But don’t just take my word for it.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
If you're not packing a lot of clothes, I'd give the HPG Umlindi a look. Very comfortable, smaller sized pack. I run mine without a belt for what you are describing, in the warmer months and when meat hauling isn't required.

pc3

WKR
I've been happy with my Tenzing 1200 daypack for such days afield. Light and just big enough. I like that it has an expandable main compartment, and can lash a jacket or insulation layer to the outside if I get too hot while walking.

It does lack an external water bottle pocket though as it is designed more for bladder use.

That said, I am being drawn back to using a lumbar pack with a set of suspenders more and more when I want to go light. We do a lot of deer drives through nasty brush and briar patches in rifle season and that gives me enough to carry kill kit, puffy, rain gear, etc. combined with bino harness up front I am good to go. A lumbar pack also handles a collapsed turkey decoy nicely for gobbler hunting by strapping it right to the top of the lumbar pack.

Ive got an Outdoorsman butte 25 which I recently used for the first time and really like ......I would like to see Kifaru re-introduce their version that looked great and had stays in it as well.

Does anyone think Kifaru might bring it back some time soon ?

ohoopee

WKR
I have used the ascent 14 and been happy with it. A used one for sale in classifieds.

For just toting a little gear and food I use a 22 liter day pack from tactical tailor. Simple and easy. Look for one that has a pocket and ports for a hydration bladder but don’t spend a fortune on it. Mystery ranch has some great little day packs for around $100.

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru Doorgunner! It’s a great little pack, carry’s well and holds just enough. Throw on the Sherman pocket and you can carry extra clothes to and from the stand.

ScottinPA

WKR
May not be big enough for what you want but check out the Camelbak Ambush. I just got one and think it'll work great for early archery whitetail. I added a strap to hold clothes when it gets colder.

bat-cave

WKR
I've been very happy with the Sitka Tool Bucket. Great design for treestand hunting. I wouldn't want to carry a heavy load with it, but that's not what it's designed for. If you need to move weight, I would definitely look at the Kifaru (I have a couple of their packs and love them). For my whitetail hunting, the worst case is a hang on stand and the tool bucket does well and has great organization and access in the tree.

OXN939

WKR
Osprey Daylite has been my whitetail pack for five years. Small, minimalist, light, well-constructed, less than half the cost of anything made by Sitka, plenty of room for a few layers, rangefinder, snacks and water.
Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 3.35.18 PM.png

Primetime

FNG
A good pack would be the Cabela’s elite scout Or Sitka tool bucket. If looking at the tool bucket lots of reviews it’s not for everyone as u will read. But if it sounds like it would be the ultimate back pack for ya then it’ll prolly work dang good

I’ve been testing a bunch for exactly what you describe. I even used my kids school book bag last season! Sitka tool bucket... not for me, uncomfortable and not well thought out. HPG Tarahumari is my favorite pack so far, just a little small, fits my gear but not much room for an extra jacket, thinking a bigger model would be ideal. Osprey Talon 22 is what I’ve settled on for now, though still a little small. I have a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab that is a great all-day still hunt pack but a little big for a sit in the treestand. I have never used, but always thought that certain Badlands and Tenzig packs looked promising for tree stand day packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kimber22

Lil-Rokslider
I took my first trek with a HPG Junction today. I overloaded it with more than I would take on an elk day hike. I think I am in love. Doesn't have a belt and honestly I never felt I needed one!