Small, whitetail hunting backpack suggestions (no meat hauling - just the basics)

winny94

FNG
Looking for a small pack for day long or half day whitetail hunts. Won't be more than a mile from the truck, so not the traditional "day pack" that most here use. Just need something with solid zippers, water resistant, carry & organize couple knives, first aid, shooting sticks, lunch/snacks, mag/ammo, flash lights, etc. Really basic. I want better quality than the Walmart special, but budget of $80-$150ish.

Requirements:
External molle straps
At Least 1 lashing strap on the side (tripod/shooting sick/trigger stick)
900-1200 cu/in
Many small pockets preferable to few large

Right now the Eberlestock Bandit is leading the way, but open to other suggestions!

My stand pack I like is my Kifaru E&E comes in at 900. Can be found used in good condition for not much money. I found a cheap Nalgene pocket and added that. Look it up. You will like it. Plus it’s not so big if you carry a stand in, you can strap it to the stand and go

Mystery ranch 2DAP is worTh a look. It will stretch your budget a bit but it will last forever.

OP
W

winny94

FNG
My stand pack I like is my Kifaru E&E comes in at 900. Can be found used in good condition for not much money. I found a cheap Nalgene pocket and added that. Look it up. You will like it. Plus it’s not so big if you carry a stand in, you can strap it to the stand and go
Yea, I looked at that originally. I really like it, but it's a fair amount over budget when I finished adding the organization pouches, and I haven't seen one used come up for quite awhile. If you happen to know of one, I'd appreciate it the tip!

Yea, I looked at that originally. I really like it, but it's a fair amount over budget when I finished adding the organization pouches, and I haven't seen one used come up for quite awhile. If you happen to know of one, I'd appreciate it the tip!
Buy the pack. I don’t have pouches on mine. I do have the upgrade straps

ChrisAU

WKR
I've been eye balling the Kuiu Divide 1200 pack. Just haven't got myself to spend the money yet.

This is what I have and I love it. The divide pocket in the middle is great for quickly stashing stuff in the stand when needed, and for stuffing big layers in when its cold out.

I had a bandit and liked it as well as many others but my favorite so far is a venture 1800,i have a 2300 as well but i like the 1800 the best.A little bigger than the bandit but more versatile if that helps you in any way.

Drenalin

WKR
I've used the Camelbak HAWG for what you're describing. I wouldn't call it water resistant (like any other cordura pack) and it's really only three pockets, but you should be able to find one within your budget and Camelbak makes a pretty tough, simple pack.

Whisky

WKR
I use a baby diaper bag (for men). I looked like a tool trying to carry around the diaper bag my wife bought, so I sourced my own, that actually fit me. Can't remember the brand, but it was from some tactical company. Has molle webbing. And of course, multi purpose. It has also become my "range bag".

Edit: Mission Critical brand: https://www.missioncritical.cc/collections/bags-s-01/products/backpack

Last edited:

RS3579

WKR
I use the Kifaru Antero for exactly what you do. It’s very comfortable and organizing is great. I added a Kifaru style organizer and a mini belt pouch. I have a Omni belt on mine also. Durable and the perfect size. I tried the shape charge 1st but it was a little bigger than I wanted.

Attachments

• 41716B97-7222-44B7-B04C-F2698CFB8F1D.jpeg
    41716B97-7222-44B7-B04C-F2698CFB8F1D.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 101
OP
W

winny94

FNG
I use the Kifaru Antero for exactly what you do. It’s very comfortable and organizing is great. I added a Kifaru style organizer and a mini belt pouch. I have a Omni belt on mine also. Durable and the perfect size. I tried the shape charge 1st but it was a little bigger than I wanted.
Yea, that'd be. Near perfect fit , but about double my budget.

OP
W

winny94

FNG
I ended up grabbing a Bandit that I found a great deal on. I'll keep hunting for the Kifaru E&E and sell the bandit when I find one. (So standing request, if anyone knows of a E&E, lemme know!)

Squirrels

WKR
I just picked up a Antero with Organizer 2nd hand. It came in yesterday, I think it may work pretty well till it gets colder and I am packing in layers or if I am sitting all day. For those days I will probably switch over to the Shape Charge.

adamm88

WKR
511 rush 12 or 24, i hunted out of a 24 pack for years, pretty much bomb proof. My son has a 12 and it works good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
I use the ALPS OutdoorZ Pursuit pack. May be a little short on molle, depending upon what you want. It has side straps for lashing shooting sticks. Has lashing on the back to attach bow if that is your thing, although I just carry my bow separately. Also, little bigger than what you suggested. I can carry extra jacket, etc. if needed. For $90 (Amazon) they it has been a very good whitetail pack. Used it for 4 years now and it has held up, but the most weight that gets in it is probably 30# when doing preseason activities.

Just picked up a Mystery Ranch Assault that might be a nice whitetail pack, but I plan to use it as my "urban" pack. It is also ~$200.