SmartPhones for Smart Hunters - NEW ARTICLE is up!!

Slim Jim

WKR
Very cool Travis! I use my phoneskope all the time in the field. I need to look into the InReach though, especially when solo deep in the backcountry

Cool article. I've been trying to come up with ways to make my phone more versatile fir an upcoming trip. What are you doing to keep your iPhone charged up? I'm on android, so I'm taking a couple of spare batteries with me, but unfortunately, Apple doesn't give iPhone users that option.

Manosteel

WKR
Good article, just added the gorilla phone app to my phone and will be ordering the photo scope when I buy a new scope next year. I got to test out the delorme in reach last week and loved it. Will always be in my pack when hunting and my truck when working from now on.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool article. I've been trying to come up with ways to make my phone more versatile fir an upcoming trip. What are you doing to keep your iPhone charged up? I'm on android, so I'm taking a couple of spare batteries with me, but unfortunately, Apple doesn't give iPhone users that option.

William, I'm using a goal zero guide 10. I can usually get 3-4 days though on a charge depending on how many photos I take. Spare batteries would be nice!

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from 8 days in backcountry in Wyoming Wind river Range. I paired my iPhone 5 with a friends Inreach SE and it was pretty sweet. Kept phone in airplane mode and used two way text option through earthmate app and navigation option. Came out with 86% battery life left on the phone. I still use Spot gen 1 but the Inreach SE is much nicer if you want to communicate specific info to friends to help with an elk pack out, etc. You could leave the GPS at home if you have the Inreach for sure.

William, I'm using a goal zero guide 10. I can usually get 3-4 days though on a charge depending on how many photos I take. Spare batteries would be nice!

I use a Goal Zero as well, great piece of gear. I have tried to talk myself into leaving it at home, but can't seem to do it. I'll suffer the extra weight in order to have a renewable power source. And like Renoit24 said, getting Trimble might be worth a look. You can pre-download maps split up by state and hunting zone, and you don't need a data connection to use it as a handheld gps.

ST52v

WKR
I saw where the chip people for Garmins released an app for the i phone yesterday. You can use the chip info on your i phone.

ST52v

WKR
I saw where the chip people for Garmins released an app for the i phone yesterday. You can use the chip info on your i phone.