Smell elk

I've heard people talking about how you can smell elk if they're in, or have been in an area. So my question is, how long does that smell linger? Is it only there while they're close? Does it last for several days after they've moved on?

The elk smell exists in their urine too. One spot of piss on the ground can stink an area up for a number of days, even if they’ve left.

If a bull is pissing on the ground and dry wallowing, that’ll stink something fierce for a while, depending on how quick it dries up.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The elk smell exists in their urine too. One spot of piss on the ground can stink an area up for a number of days, even if they’ve left.
Yep. Happens to me all the time. I have a very sensitive nose and can smell rutting bulls from a ways if the wind is right. But that also applies to their urine. Every time I smell them I go on high alert, and first thing I do is pull out my wind checker to see exactly what direction it's coming from. I'll slow-walk in on a bed, a wallow, or even just a lone pee spot several times every season using my nose and wind checker. No idea how long it lasts though. In a wallow, probably a decent amount of time even after the last time a bull was there. This is how I initially find a lot of hidden wallows.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I am only able to smell elk while they are still close. Nearly every time I have smelled them I have found them shortly after. I'm sure it depends on the conditions, like how dry it is and how windy is for how long the scent actually lingers.
I would say this is the most common experience with regards to being able to detect the scent of elk. I’ve also noted the smell of mule deer before seeing them.

Marble

WKR
I can smell the shit and piss on the ground and can usually differentiate between that and animals.

To me there are 3 kinds of elk smell, something on the ground, elk smell in the air and bull smell in the air. When I say "in the air", that means the smell can be detected from an incoming breeze.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

This is probably very variable based on conditions, # animals, terrain, weather and individual sniffers. I have smelled elk when they are in close and I could see them, but also plenty have been within bow range and I was not getting a scent.

I wouldn’t stay hunting in an area just because of smell in the absence of other sign.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I've found at least with coastal elk, the smell can linger for a long while including decent stretches of rain. I've gone back to spots over many days and even up to a couple of weeks later and with no new sign, the area can still smell. I agree with the above poster, there is ground smell and air smell on the breeze. I tend to focus more on air smell.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have found the smell to be real strong when I go to the spot where I know I hit the Elk but it moved into the bush or was able to move from hit location..

Just don’t be the guy bragging about all the elk scent you were into and elk sign and it be cattle…. When guys tell me they found a tore up wallow from a huge bull with hooves the size of pie plates I just nod and smile… elk and bovine are similar but can definitely tell the difference. If you’ve been around elk enough you can start smelling bull vs cow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't smell worth a chit. My eye sight is apparently pretty good. I like to think senses even out.

If I can smell them, I'm in them. I have hunted a few times with others who start talking about smelling them, I don't ever see, or hear them. But then I see elk and need to give them GPS directions for them to see'em.

So I think it varies.

Need to figure out where your senses are.

Usually it means they are close, but it really varies on the scenario. I once sat next to a wallow for far too long one time thinking they were close when the play should have been to follow as the retreated further.

KnightOwl

FNG
I've heard people talking about how you can smell elk if they're in, or have been in an area. So my question is, how long does that smell linger? Is it only there while they're close? Does it last for several days after they've moved on?
Excellent question... I have a very good noise developed at a shop smelling bad gas for mechanics.. For me if I can smell to me what I describe as the county fair animal exhibits... that smell easily, its within a few hours old..

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The smell of a bull lathered up from soaking his belly can be be smelled from a long ways and piss soaked bed can linger for weeks…..the smell of one herd bull helped me locate him when the blood 🩸 trail was slim and he fell in some nasty brush that I had walked by above and below….trust your nose knowing the scent may not be super fresh and other times they are veryyy close so slow wayyy down to verify🤙

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
the smell of one herd bull helped me locate him when the blood 🩸 trail was slim and he fell in some nasty brush that I had walked by above and below….
Yep, if the wind is right I always smell them before I see them after they've gone down. Great way to find them when the blood trail is thin.