Smelly Boots

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a pair of Danners for about 18 months now. I've put in over a hundred miles on them and they are holding up fine. If anything, the insole might be wearing out. I have pretty high arches.
Anyway. I never noticed them smelling until I went on a hunt last month in the summer heat. I hunt pretty deep and didnt change socks for the first two days, planned on a third day change. But they WREAKED. Seemed like out of no where they just started smelling horrendous. I went hunting this weekend and after 30 minutes of setting up camp, they smelled.
My question is, how "normal" is that. I know it's a broad question, but should I have changed socks sooner to help prevent this? Do Danners smell easily?
My birthday is coming up and I told wifey I wanted a puffy jacket but remembered the boot issue and said I needed new boots. When I said why she said, "arent all boots going to smell? You've only had them for a year and want new boots?" 🤦‍♂️

Can anyone help me load up on ammo to justify new boots? Or should I roll with a puffy because she is right? (Which, we will never admit that part of course)

Do you wear cotton socks? Most likely the smell is some form of mildew. I’d get the insoles replaced first. See how that goes. Once mildew sets in, it’s hard to get rid of that smell.

I’ve always had this problem, work boots, hiking boots muck boots and shoes. I basically have 2 pairs of everything and I leave one outside for a few months till the pair I’m wearing become unbearable then swap them out. I’ve swapped in soles, used powder and ozone and it always comes back, I have super sweaty feet and the best thing I’ve found is good socks and leave them outside in the weather for a couple months then swap.

Spray a little lysol in them and then throw them in the freezer for a couple of days.

i always have a 50/50 mixture on vinegar and water in a spray bottle for around the house cleaning. i give my nasty shoes a dusting if they get swampy and seams to help.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
You can put a couple of scoops of cat litter in a pair of thin socks or pantyhose and put that in the boots when you’re not wearing them. It’ll suck any moisture from them and it mostly kills the smell too.

TheGDog

WKR
Hose them profusely... inside and out.. every time you get home. THEN? Put them on a Peet's Boot Dryer! That Boot Dryer man... it works!

I have a very sensitive nose for scents/smells. And before that boot dryer? I'd hose em off... then just let 'em dry for a couple days in our SoCal sun. Maybe rotating the angles at most to ensure sun has hit all side of it. But that never worked all the way. I'd always smell a faint bit of the "ick" left in there.

Now... the only thing I'd say is... make sure when you DO put your boots on that boot dryer? That you set a timer to remind you go back and take em back off in a day. It's REAL easy to forget that you left them on that dryer.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
The smell is bacteria growth. Try filling them w hydrogen peroxide from your local drug store/ Wally World. Dont be shocked if it starts foaming. That is the little critters dying. Then rinse and boot dryer or sunshine dry. Also socks need changed more.

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Hose them profusely... inside and out.. every time you get home. THEN? Put them on a Peet's Boot Dryer! That Boot Dryer man... it works!

I have a very sensitive nose for scents/smells. And before that boot dryer? I'd hose em off... then just let 'em dry for a couple days in our SoCal sun. Maybe rotating the angles at most to ensure sun has hit all side of it. But that never worked all the way. I'd always smell a faint bit of the "ick" left in there.

Now... the only thing I'd say is... make sure when you DO put your boots on that boot dryer? That you set a timer to remind you go back and take em back off in a day. It's REAL easy to forget that you left them on that dryer.
This is spot on. Our oldest plays soccer and the only thing that preserves the soccer cleats is the boot dryer. Works like a charm.