Smelly clothes

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
How do you all get the smell out of your hunting clothes? I field dressed and packed out an elk a few months ago. Since then, my jacket, pants, and a merino Henley just smell of elk blood, fat, and hide despite several washings and days of hanging outside.

Mike 338

WKR
Odors are just molecules embedded in the clothes. Just wear, launder and continue to use those clothes and the molecules will release. Besides... after a few days of hunting in the same clothes, smelling like a dead elk is an improvement.

OP
T

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
I agree. It's just that don't want all my hunting clothes to smell the same if I put these items in the same closet or container. Also, the shirt is my favorite to ski in.

87TT

WKR
But seriously, I use baking soda in the wash. Costco has a big bag for like $6 or so. Will do a bunch of washes.

OP
T

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
I washed everything again with lots of baking soda. The clothes still smell, though not as bad. Perhaps, I'm a bit sensitized to the smell now. I think I will just hang it out in the yard for a few days again.

Atsko Sportwash works really good for washing workout and hunting clothes. Try freezing them for a few days maybe then wash.

ChrisAU

WKR
What kind of detergent had you been using? I use the Dead Down Wind packets, never noticed any smell that stuck to anything after using them.

bruno59

WKR
I killed a bear last spring and after the pack out everything was pretty smelly just washed in Atsko sportswash with a little baking soda and everything came out just fine no odors

CorbLand

WKR
I had the same thing happen to me. Shot an elk and got blood all over my base layer. Smelt like complete ass even after 5 washes. Finally tried the baking soda route and still nothing. Took soaking it in baking soda and water for a couple hours then washing. Good as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
My wife is a nurse and has come home pretty funky after handling god knows what. She's always used Oxyclean on all her uniforms and they came out smelling like absolutely nothing. So I started doing the same thing with my hunting gear from bloody packs to stinky socks. Sparkly clean and no odor.

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
Can also put it in a bag/tote with dirt in it, and just let whatever funk is there work itself out