SMH

CHSD

WKR
I am curious if he made any money off of shooting that bull? Maybe making money off youtube videos or being an instagram person. That would be a bad deal if he uploaded video or pictures to make money off the deal. I hope not. I dont know all the details, I just know that there are a lot of people that do make money off of youtube videos etc.

I am curious if he made any money off of shooting that bull? Maybe making money off youtube videos or being an instagram person. That would be a bad deal if he uploaded video or pictures to make money off the deal. I hope not. I dont know all the details, I just know that there are a lot of people that do make money off of youtube videos etc.

One of the things that was endearing about the guy is he is often out there with "Joe 6-pack" gear - hunting in old cotton hoodies and stuff. Didn't have the impression he has a bunch of big name sponsors, could be wrong there too.

From reading that Instagram post, he's full of B.S. Honest mistake my ass.

The first thing you should do when you get permits or licenses is to double check them over!

A lot of the comments said stuff like, “if they saw how you kill big stuff every year, they would know you don’t need to cheat”. My only thought on that is the first time you get caught is never the first time you did it.

Those comments are baffling and troubling.

Tough call for me. I’d like to say that I could/would never make a mistake like that. But... I spend most of my life multitasking I’ve made plenty of mistakes where I’ve been temporarily dyslexic or something. Not with a tag, but where I’m seeing what I’m looking for on some paperwork instead of what’s there.

Who knows? I’ll defer to those who actually know his character. If he purposely used the wrong tag, he deserves worse than he’ll get
He’ll be punished whether or not it was an honest mistake.

I hate poachers, their entitlement, their disdain and their negative impact on hunting.

But..

I had a difficult and worrisome tracking job on an elk where I was so relieved to find my bull and worried about meat loss that I rushed to start breaking him down. I had a buddy with me who reminded me, “Hey! Don’t forget to punch your tag!” No malignant or nefarious intent, but I was technically a violator for maybe a minute. I’d hate to have sixty seconds or less incorrectly define my character.

I will definitely triple check everything when putting in for and hopefully receiving my tags this year though.

By accounts thus far, he was in unit 690. None of the unit #s immediately adjacent to 690 (which are easier to draw) have a # similar to 690 so it's not a matter of simply transposing a number.

I don't recall MT's website even though I've applied the last 6 years.. maybe a second choice got in the mix somehow? If that was the case you'd think that would be in the explanation though.

bsnedeker

WKR
By accounts thus far, he was in unit 690. None of the unit #s immediately adjacent to 690 (which are easier to draw) have a # similar to 690 so it's not a matter of simply transposing a number.

I don't recall MT's website even though I've applied the last 6 years.. maybe a second choice got in the mix somehow? If that was the case you'd think that would be in the explanation though.
I didn't think anyone ever even put in second choices in MT. None of my buddies ever do. They never get to second choice stuff so it's a waste of time.

WCB

WKR
Doesn't your tag/permit say the number right on it? I've only held general tags in MT but I am sure they do as I remember checking a clients Antelope tag as it was a hard to draw unit that I was guiding him in. You are telling me a guy that has been putting in for that long didn't glance at the tag and realize instantly the number didn't match up?

I've watched his videos and like watching him kill wolves...however I probably won't be anymore. I don't buy he just plain and simply hunted the wrong unit by accident.

I didn't think anyone ever even put in second choices in MT. None of my buddies ever do. They never get to second choice stuff so it's a waste of time.

Makes sense now but I didn't think we were many years removed from when residents could draw a 900 tag as a second choice? perhaps i'm remembering something different.

bsnedeker

WKR
Makes sense now but I didn't think we were many years removed from when residents could draw a 900 tag as a second choice? perhaps i'm remembering something different.
I think it's been like 10 years but I honestly don't know.

Edit: I'm totally wrong, I'm in a very boring meeting so I started going through the draw statistics....it was 2018 you could draw the 900-20 as a second choice! That blows my mind, my hunting group hasn't put in a second choice in the 5 years I've been hunting here with them...I just assumed they were correct about second choice being a waste and never looked into it.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
I have watched some of his wolf hunting videos and was pretty bummed when I saw this. Seems odd to me that you would get a tag and not check to make sure its the correct one. I work for the Government and dont have much faith in them to get this correct 100% of the time.

I will say though, I worked for a license and tag vendor. You would be amazed at the number of people that will come in and expect the cashiers to know the elk unit around such and such town. So I have about equal as much faith in the general public doing their due diligence before hand as well.

Dan told me he wasn’t positive about the general tag deal. Based on what I have seen, I would guess he was holding a 426, 417, or 621 tag (easier to draw) and killed the bull in 690. Dan thought that was plausible.

It is hard to believe a guy who has been applying for all the MT big game tags for decades would make these mistakes on accident. Possible but about the same odds as Lloyd Christmas ending up with Mary Swanson.

I’m going to backtrack a bit. There is a 620-21 tag that is one digit off of the 690-21 tag that is valid in 621 which borders 690. That means the one number off goof is possible.

The other thing that strikes me is he was supposedly openly communicating with a higher profile guy like Dan Pickar about being in this high demand unit knowing full well that when he killed one, Dan and others would know which unit it came from.

Still tough to see this as an accident but improbable things happen.

Chad E

WKR
I’m going to backtrack a bit. There is a 620-21 tag that is one digit off of the 690-21 tag that is valid in 621 which borders 690. That means the one number off goof is possible.

The other thing that strikes me is he was supposedly openly communicating with a higher profile guy like Dan Pickar about being in this high demand unit knowing full well that when he killed one, Dan and others would know which unit it came from.

Still tough to see this as an accident but improbable things
Id be more inclined to believe his story (not that it absolves him from repercussions for his actions) if he produced a permit for a neighboring unit. It seems that Dan is suggesting he had a general tag. At any rate it seems like there's more to this story.
I hope it was an honest mistake. No matter how unacceptable it is to not check your license and be in the correct zone that paints a different picture than killing a bull on a premiere draw unit on a general tag. That being said I drew a tag in 2019 that took 17 points. I bet I checked those results 100 times to be sure it was real.

Legend

WKR
I have drawn a couple of good tags in MT. As soon as I see "successful " my heart sinks as I assume I made a mistake. Then I check the unit numbers 20 times and have a buddy confirm.