SMH

idcuda

WKR
I don't know a single person that's been mentioned in this thread, and I feel pretty ok with that.

I'm glad this info comes out, though. If you're making a living by hunting/fishing/entertaining, you better have your shit together.

ewade07

WKR
Dude got caught. I find it next to impossible that there was a mix up in units. The unit is displayed online as well as printed on the tag. With all the resources out there today there is zero excuse for not knowing what unit you are hunting (OnX). Like someone else said earlier, makes me wonder how many other times he may have done this and not been caught.

bsnedeker

WKR
I have drawn a couple of good tags in MT. As soon as I see "successful " my heart sinks as I assume I made a mistake. Then I check the unit numbers 20 times and have a buddy confirm.
And they only give out 35 permits in 690...I'd check that thing every day from the time I drew until I killed the elk!

edit: it's actually 50 archery tags, 35 rifle. Same difference though.

woods89

WKR
Count me in the crowd that thinks this is probably not an honest mistake. I can see applying for the wrong unit, but not catching it until after the bull is dead seems like a stretch.........

street

WKR
Not defending fhe guy, but I spoke to 3 elk hunters in the field last year. We were close to boundaries of 3 different units. And as I was talking to them and giving them some tips, I noticed they really didn't even know where the boundaries were and which units were otc and which weren't. I was pretty surprised by their ignorance.

Not defending fhe guy, but I spoke to 3 elk hunters in the field last year. We were close to boundaries of 3 different units. And as I was talking to them and giving them some tips, I noticed they really didn't even know where the boundaries were and which units were otc and which weren't. I was pretty surprised by their ignorance.

I'm aware this is pretty common. Probably not as common for someone who's been applying for the same premiere unit for 15 years and has a significant online hunting media presence.

Flyjunky

WKR
I can very well believe he applied for the wrong unit on accident, what I don't believe is he didn't know he applied for and hunted the wrong unit until after he killed his bull.
How can you apply for the wrong unit if you've been applying for it that long. I've been applying for a unit for 12 years and know the hunt number by heart. Do I look up that hunt each year to make sure the number hasn't changed....yes, and the number has never changed.

Someone said earlier that he lost his hunting privileges for 2 years- does this fall under the interstate violators compact? As in, in this case, is he banned from hunting pretty much everywhere in the United States for 2 years?

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
How can you apply for the wrong unit if you've been applying for it that long. I've been applying for a unit for 12 years and know the hunt number by heart. Do I look up that hunt each year to make sure the number hasn't changed....yes, and the number has never changed.
I totally agree and understand where you're coming from. Anytime I'm applying or filling out something critical I'm double checking everything before submitting but not everyone is always as cautious. And I agree, it makes zero sense that someone who has applied for a unit that many years would screw it up. All I'm saying though is if there is a part of this story I find believable, it would be he accidentally applied to the wrong unit because of a typo, rushing through the app, etc. But claiming he did not realize it was the wrong tag until after it had already been filled is far from believable.

bsnedeker

WKR
I totally agree and understand where you're coming from. Anytime I'm applying or filling out something critical I'm double checking everything before submitting but not everyone is always as cautious. And I agree, it makes zero sense that someone who has applied for a unit that many years would screw it up. All I'm saying though is if there is a part of this story I find believable, it would be he accidentally applied to the wrong unit because of a typo, rushing through the app, etc. But claiming he did not realize it was the wrong tag until after it had already been filled is far from believable.

If a guy has been putting in for the same trophy unit for 15 years and makes a small mistake and transposes one number in his application and draws the unit next to it I can see how they would be very upset that they have burned all their points after so much time invested.

I can see how someone who is upset about that might just say to themselves "hey, I'm gonna roll the dice and hunt the unit I want, since I was probably going to draw it in the next few years anyways, and hope I don't get caught. If I do get caught I can just tell people that I thought I had drawn the right unit...it's only off by one number".

I'm not saying that's what happened. I'm just saying I could see that happening.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someone said earlier that he lost his hunting privileges for 2 years- does this fall under the interstate violators compact? As in, in this case, is he banned from hunting pretty much everywhere in the United States for 2 years?

yup, there might be still be a few states not in the Wildlife Compact, but it's damn few