Smith Sunglasses for guys with pumpkin heads?

fwafwow

WKR
A recent sunglasses thread had quite a few Smith fans, so hoping for some feedback here. I've got a pair of Smith Tenet sunglasses (said to be large fit, medium coverage) that I love for the lens quality, but they are just a bit small for my melon head. They are no longer made, so it's hard to compare to the current models, and the website isn't very helpful in filtering. Emails to Smith CS have gone unanswered.

As best I can tell, the choices I've narrowed to for big heads that would be good for the backcountry and for a non-hipster are:
  • Forge (best price and impact resistant lenses, plus large fit/large coverage)
  • Castaway (glass, which I love, but medium fit/large coverage and more expensive)
  • Transfer XL (glass, medium-large fit, large coverage)
Anyone have any of these? They are all polarized (at least my chosen lenses) and they look pretty similar, at least on the website. I would normally go to a store to try to judge the fit, but not so easy during the pandemic. I could order them all and return what I don't like, but that's a pain. First world problems

feanor

WKR
You can always try eBay alerts for your favorite pair to show up. I do that and have a couple that have been discontinued for years.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
You can always try eBay alerts for your favorite pair to show up. I do that and have a couple that have been discontinued for years.
My problem is that the pair I have and that are discontinued are NOT the right size and I’m looking for a bigger pair. (That’s what she said.)

feanor

WKR
Missed that part of the post haha. Unfortunately I have a baby head, so I cannot recommend one. Just to hold on hard to the pair you do find. Hard.

I have the Smith Masterminds but they are also discontinued. Fit my big head well. I've been meaning to email Smith to see what they would recommend that is similar.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I have the Smith Masterminds but they are also discontinued. Fit my big head well. I've been meaning to email Smith to see what they would recommend that is similar.
Thanks.

I submitted a similar ask in 13th and still waiting for an answer.....

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I ended up ordering the Forge and the Transfer XL. Both are big - maybe too big (in that they are built for fishing and keeping out light from the sides). Look forward to trying them out. Although they never responded to my inquiries, they do have fast shipping!