Smoked Venison backstrap

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
Does anyone have a delish recipe YOU have used for this? Been spending more time at my smoker on briskets, pork butt, chicken wings and need to give this a try. Always gone med rare on venison tenderloin but would love to get a good smoked venison recipe if y'all can share it

sram9102

WKR
Hank Shaw has you covered. His website is a wealth of wild game cooking knowledge.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
I smoke well seasoned whole back straps at 165F. Once they hit 125 internal temp, I pull them to rest for 10 minutes while I kick my smoker up to 450. Back on for just a couple minutes and pull to rest again before slicing. They end up mid rare yet don't taste like a typical reverse sear on the grill.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Don’t ruin a good back strap steak by trying to do something weird or crazy.
Season with salt, course ground pepper, and a touch of lawrys.

Low temp and high smoke (I do 150 degrees) for 1 hour.

Take them off and baste in butter. Turn the smoker up to 450-500. Back on for a sear and cook to desired finish (I do rare).

Enjoy.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
Don’t ruin a good back strap steak by trying to do something weird or crazy.
Season with salt, course ground pepper, and a touch of lawrys.

Low temp and high smoke (I do 150 degrees) for 1 hour.

Take them off and baste in butter. Turn the smoker up to 450-500. Back on for a sear and cook to desired finish (I do rare).

Enjoy.
Trying this out this weekend! Thanks guys

I did an antelope backstrap just the other night. I seasoned with my favorite steak seasoning, wrapped it in bacon and then smoked it till internal temp of 130 degrees. Sliced after resting and it looked like filet mignon. Smothered it in sautéed mushrooms and a side of creamy horseradish for dipping.

I like to do a stuffed jalapeno cream cheese, wrapped in bacon backstrap. Also, check out Nevada Foodies website for some good wild game recipes.

I smoke a few whitetail backstraps each year (and elk if I'm lucky) using the following method:
  1. Soak overnight in brine solution consisting of water, kosher salt, and brown sugar at a 16:1:1 ratio (by volume).
  2. Remove meat from brine, pat dry with paper towel, coat lightly with kosher salt and black pepper.
  3. Smoke at 250-275°F until internal meat temperature reaches 125°F (doesn’t take long, maybe 30-45 min).
  4. Sear meat on a hot grill (500-600°F) for about 1 minute per side.
  5. Wrap in aluminum foil and rest for 15 minutes then slice and serve.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
Another good recipe. I need to get to killin' so I can try all of these

Marshfly

WKR
I like the Alpine Touch Prairie Fire rub on mine sometimes. Smoke at 230 until it hits about 115 internal and then sear hot on the grill until about 125 internal. Fricking amazing.

HoytHntr4

WKR
I usually season with kosher salt & Traeger prime rib rub (one of my favorite rubs for venison). Throw it on the grill or smoker until it reaches 125-130 IT. I use a cast iron with some butter on my Turkey cooker burner to sear it on each side. Slice and serve, turns out great every time

I will season a chunk of backstrap loin with Tatonka Dust (google it) and smoke till medium rare, rest, and slice. DELICIOUS!!

The seasoning is black and charcoal based, Worcester solids, soy solids, and down right tasty!!